Old January 14th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Commuting from Stafford = London

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Paul Weaver wrote:

On Jan 14, 1:44 pm, "Sam" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 14 Jan, 11:14, "Sam" wrote:

Also, can I make seat reservations with a season ticket. If yes, can
this be done online anywhere ?

Sorry, don't know about reservations, though I'm sure others will know.

I did an early morning Virgin from Crewe once,

I bet you did, you scoundrel! You know what they say about the early bird
NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK.

Sorry.

tom

--
Transform your language.

Old January 15th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 1:44 pm, "Sam" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 14 Jan, 11:14, "Sam" wrote:

It looks like my move to Stafford is imminent (And hence my commute to
EUS).
Do I need a photocard for a monthly season to London ?

Yes, a photocard is required for any such season ticket (including a
weekly). I dunno if TfL / LU photocards are acceptable for such a
season, but I suggest a National Rail issued photocard would be best -
you should be able to get one from any ticket office.

Also, can I make seat reservations with a season ticket. If yes, can
this
be done online anywhere ?

Sorry, don't know about reservations, though I'm sure others will
know.

One other thing - I don't know where you're end destination is in
London, but depending on to how extensively you'll be travelling
around London, where you'll be going and by what means it may be
cheaper to just buy a Stafford to London rail only season ticket (i.e.
without an inclusive Travelcard element) and then use Oyster Pay-as-
you-go for any further Tube or bus journeys in London (with Oyster
PAYG a zone 1 Tube journey is £1.50 at any time, and a bus journey is
90p at any time).

####
It will be a 5 - 7 minute walk at Euston, otherwise I probably wouldn't
consider the daily commute from Stafford. I am slightly concerned it will
be too far with just the rail journey, let alone a LU trip as well !!!!

I did an early morning Virgin from Crewe once, I didn't notice any
seating issues, I'd be surprised if you had problems on the way in. On
the way back I guess you have to get used to the platform it normally
leaves from and take a gamble.

90 minutes on a train isn't too bad, assuming you live near Stafford
station it's under 2 hours, not much more than some of my colleagues
that live in Zone 6, and less than the ones that live on the Kent
coast. Any chance you can do work on the train with a laptop and 3G
modem? You could then shave an hour or so a day off.

The only thing that would make me wince about a Stafford-Euston
commute is the £750pcm ticket.

The first southbound service from Stafford to Euston is largely empty at
Stafford - the 05:20 from Manchester. It then fills up at the Trent Valley
stations and whenever I've used this service, I've often seen from coach G
people standing all the way in the Standard vestibule as there are no seats.
Almost every seat in First is taken too. The return very popular 17:21 to
Holyhead almost always departs from platform 1, and is frequently full and
standing to Rugby, especially on Fridays.