Old December 7th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default The King's Cross St. Pancras nexus - a novelty tube map

On 7 Dec, 13:34, Mr Thant
wrote:
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...ss-st-pancras-...

Fantastic.

You were probably wise to have left the box marked 'cycle routes'
unopened!

A couple of constructive suggestions...

Perhaps the new joint Kings Cross/ St Pancras car park could be marked
- it's located underneath the Kent/ CTRL-DS platforms just off Pancras
Road. But then again perhaps the exclusion of the private car on the
diagram is intentional!

The other thing is perhaps marking the way towards Camden next to the
arrow on the top-left surface street - which, somewhat
counterintuitively, is Pancras Rd at that point, not Midland Rd,
because Pancras Rd wiggles underneath the station...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529882&y=183283

The point being that it's really not very far to walk to get from KX/
SP right into the heart of Camden.

Old December 7th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 7 Dec, 15:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:59:54 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sky Rider remarked:

wrote:
Am I right in thinking that actually the new St Pancras Thameslink
station is actually to the left of the EMT platforms (but slightly
nearer Euston Road)?

That is correct.

And it's at a slight angle to the side of St Pancras (turned clockwise).

Meanwhile, is there really going to be an exit for KX platforms 9-11
halfway along the passage to the Northern ticket hall?

I also believe that the platform 1-8 footbridge at KX will eventually be
the only way *onto* platforms 1-7, with exit-only at the buffer ends.

Really?! That isn't going to be at all popular, having to lug one's
luggage up then down some stairs. Though of course there could be
lifts for each platform, and a ramp at the west side to access the
bridge, so it could be mitigated somewhat. And the main concourse is
going to be on the west side I suppose, so maybe it's not going to be
an issue at all.
Old December 7th 07, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

See http://tinyurl.com/q249u - not the first time this page has been
linked to Usenet but appropriate nonetheless.

The PDFs under the following names have very detailed diagrams of the
station post-2011 (there might be others that I haven't checked yet):
PROPOSED 1 - PART 1
PROPOSED 1 - PART 2
PROPOSED 2 - PART 1
PROPOSED 2 - PART 2
PROPOSED 3
DETAILS - PART 1
DETAILS - PART 2
AMENDED DRAWINGS

All PDFs except the last one are dated 24/25 August 2006. The last PDF
is dated 16 Jan 2007.
Old December 7th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul Scott wrote:
"Mr Thant" wrote in message
I thought people here might be interested in the diagram I've made of
King's Cross and St Pancras, showing the passageways and routes around
the whole complex in the style of the tube map (I know a proper
floorplan would have been much more useful, but that turned out to be
way too hard). Links and a bit more explanation are on my blog:

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...s-novelty.html

I like it - and its a nice touch to show York Rd (closed 1932)!

Paul S

I assume the blue parallel lines are cycle routes (two way) (;-)

Jim Chisholm

Old December 7th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:51:14 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sky Rider remarked:
I also believe that the platform 1-8 footbridge at KX will eventually be
the only way *onto* platforms 1-7, with exit-only at the buffer ends.

Really?! That isn't going to be at all popular, having to lug one's
luggage up then down some stairs. Though of course there could be
lifts for each platform,

Yes.

and a ramp at the west side to access the bridge, so it could be
mitigated somewhat. And the main concourse is going to be on the west
side I suppose, so maybe it's not going to be an issue at all.

My impression was that there's going to be a new concourse in the gap
between KX and StP (the existing concourse in front of the buffers and
south of the departures board being demolished and replaced by an
outdoors area - that's why the buffers will be exit only as in the new
plan they'll tip out almost onto the street).

That new concourse to be at 1st floor level, or ramped, or something. It
does seem to mean that access from the street will be more difficult.
Old December 7th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

Its an interpretation that has been highlighted before, but it is definitely
not correct from the evidence available in the various planning documents.
It is correct that the bridge will be one way onto the platforms from the
higher level of the new main concourse, but there will also be two way
traffic onto the southen ends of the platforms as now. This is why the
higher numbered platforms 5-8 are going to be shortened at the buffer end,
to allow more circulation space round to the western concourse.

"The majority of passengers using train services in the main train shed will
move from the new concourse at its southernmost end, through the Western
range and onto platforms from the South."

See: http://tinyurl.com/2rs5l2 section 5.4 for info...

Paul

Old December 7th 07, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:09:32 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

I also believe that the platform 1-8 footbridge at KX will eventually be
the only way *onto* platforms 1-7, with exit-only at the buffer ends.

That seems to be at odds with how I read McAslan's drg AL-00G
(http://tinyurl.com/35bocd - 7 MB pdf, page 4 of 5), which doesn't
seem to disallow pax entering the one marked "In" gateline between
platforms 1 and Y and immediately turning left to reach platforms 2-8.
Old December 7th 07, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:51:14 on Fri,
[...]

No it isn't - the main concourse is at ground level, and the main entry/exit
from the platforms will still be directly from the existing front of the
station, towards the new square, and also via the western side concourse,
which will clearly provide much improved access to the underground. There
will also be a mezzanine level for cafes & shops etc.

Unfortunately there isn't a small size report I can link to, but its all on
the Camden site if you slog through it...

Paul

Old December 7th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

I also believe that the platform 1-8 footbridge at KX will eventually be
the only way *onto* platforms 1-7, with exit-only at the buffer ends.

That seems to be at odds with how I read McAslan's drg AL-00G
(http://tinyurl.com/35bocd - 7 MB pdf, page 4 of 5), which doesn't
seem to disallow pax entering the one marked "In" gateline between
platforms 1 and Y and immediately turning left to reach platforms 2-8.

That's correct. Since my earlier comments I've now trawled through past
posts, and found the Arup report I linked to back in March when this was
discussed at length. It has a few excellent drawings showing how all the
passenger flows work.

http://tinyurl.com/2csubh

Paul