Old December 11th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 03:30:02 -0800 (PST), Boltar
wrote:

Indeed. Looking at the front profile of an A stock train it does look
a rather chunky beast. In fact its so wide its even out of gauge for
some of LUs own sub surface sections.

And even hangs over the platform at some where it's permitted,
especially on curves.

This is why the "standard" train with longitudinal seating and a
narrow body to fit the places where only D-stock can go isn't a good
thing. The A-stock, with 2+3 seating and a wide body that's one of
the few types of UK stock actually wide enough for 2+3, is a very
effective people-eater, as well as being quite comfortable for the
long runs it does.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 11th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Dec, 01:02, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(Paul Oter) wrote:
On 9 Dec, 23:49, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
(Sky Rider) wrote:

How will one get a bike between the platforms and street level
then?

If the lifts (let's call them 1 and 2) are big enough then your
options a
Street level - Lift 1 - Southbound platform
Street level - Lift 1 - Mezzanine - Lift 2 - Northbound platform

Ugh!

Alternatively one could carry one's bike up/down two long stairs,
with a mezzanine level in between.

Double-ugh! This is going to be the main railway London gateway of the
UK's premier cycling city from 2015!

I suppose you (and I) would be able to cycle to Farrington, City
Thameslink or Blackfriars for a slightly less onerous set of
steps :-)

PaulO

Old December 11th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 11 Dec, 20:16, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

Euston has the traditional type, and it's still common for them to do
that to clear a morning peak crowd. I reckon, though, that commuter
services would carry very few fare-dodgers, as most will have season
tickets.

Yes and no. When First took over the GN side, they were checking on
peak trains and catching lots of people - especially people who
assumed the RPIs wouldn't squeeze through busy carriages. Once they
started to man stations, it seems the message got through. Now when
they grip on busy trains, almost everyone as a ticket. In fact, the
only real issue is people sitting in first class on trains that aren't
declassified.

Jonathan
Old December 11th 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 11 Dec, 19:49, Roland Perry wrote:

The queues were horrendous in the old booking hall, and were horrendous
in the new one from the day it reopened. They just don't seem to want to
put enough staff on duty.

They will argue that the northern ticket hall will sort things out,
despite the fact that it's rare to see all the windows open!

The windows by the H&C/Circle/Met lines used to be almost empty (even
with signs telling those at the 'main' station to use them) but now
the load seems fairly evenly split. The problem is, the volume has
increased so much to the point where there can be long queues at both
offices.

Jonathan

Old December 11th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

First impressions of the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras which
opened on time this morning (after what must have been a massive
tidy-up operation).

Closed today during evening rush hour because of overcrowding, what a great
start!

Marķa

Old December 11th 07, 10:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The 317s definitely dump on the track, as you'll see quite clearly at
King's Cross. Goodness knows why any retention tanks were removed if
they used to have them, although I guess there's the issue of emptying
them to deal with. Seems like a very backwards step, so I'd love to
know the real reason.

Possibly when they left the Thameslink route, the retention tanks weren't
thought to be required any more? Of course, since one or two of them have
returned they haven't been retrofitted.

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

Old December 11th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

There do seem to be missing signs at other places, like ones at the top
of the first set of escalators closest to the MML platforms, to indicate
additional routes to the tube via the platform level concourse.

Frankly, signage around the whole of St Pancras is absolutely dire.

Some signs say East Midlands trains, others say Midland Mainline, and the
worst ones of all say "UK Trains" when pointing to the EMT platforms, and
completely ignoring FCC. When I started getting confused where I was going,
and I probably have far more vested interest and prior knowledge to general
travellers, I knew it was bad.

The information displays are equally awful throughout the station. The big
station-wide board at the entrance to the FCC platforms lists all UK
trains - but not in departure order, but by train company - not that this is
stated, and at first glance is just a random selection of trains in a random
order.

The FCC platform ones are hideous... the Calling At line can only show 2
stations at a time and don't scroll. They don't show numbers of coaches or
location of First Class, and as others have stated, are currently having a
problem getting the order of departures right.

I may be far too cynical here, but it seems that in their efforts to create
an arty farty "meeting place", the St Pancras team have forgotten about the
most basic elements... seatings, signage and information displays.

Old December 11th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Lew 1" wrote in message
The 317s definitely dump on the track, as you'll see quite clearly at
King's Cross. Goodness knows why any retention tanks were removed if
they used to have them, although I guess there's the issue of emptying
them to deal with. Seems like a very backwards step, so I'd love to
know the real reason.

Possibly when they left the Thameslink route, the retention tanks weren't
thought to be required any more?

Strictly they weren't on the "Thameslink" route, since that did not exist
when the 317s came in. They were new for the Moorgate route (Bed-Pan
electrification) and never ran south of Farringdon - obviously, as the
overhead wires didn't go there. When the Snow Hill route re-opened, the
third rail was extended north to Farringdon (which was [1] the changeover
point) and the dual voltage 319s were brought in to run the new Thameslink
service. The 317s were re-deployed.

[1] and still is, I think. Did I dream it or was there some suggestion that
as part of TL2000 the wires would be extended to Blackfriars - on the
grounds that that was a better changeover station since trains tended to
stop there for a longer time anyway?

Regards

Jonathan