Old December 14th 07, 07:52 AM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Default Class 172 Turbostar Ordered

On 13 Dec, 22:33, D7666 wrote:
On Dec 13, 10:27 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I recall there was a certain amount of debate here about how the DfT were
able to announce the class of train and manufacturer, without an OJEU notice
appearing, and tenders being sought.

There was - or at leastt here was in once case where I stated this.

However, I was shot down by subsequent posters and told it was wrong.

Well, I was talking to the top people at Siemens recently and touched
on the 172s - there was absolutely no complaint about the way they
were procured. I think possibly there was some behind the scenes
discussion with all manufacturers - and certainly Siemens appear to be
just too late with ideas for much lighter trains, so maybe they have
accepted "defeat" as they think they wouldn't have had anything ready
to offer.

I think the order for the TfL / LOROL sets has already been agreed.

Despite the slip up with announcing the "winner" before the order was
signed I understand LM have got the trains at pretty much the price
they originally expected to pay. Reference to letters exchanged during
the run up to the franchise starting was rather helpful in LM's
favour!

Tony

Old December 14th 07, 08:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 13 Dec, 22:33, D7666 wrote:
On Dec 13, 10:27 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

There was a requirement for compatability with existing stock, which, of
course, are 170s. Thus only Bombardier were really interested.

Peter Fox

Old December 14th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I do hope the TfL order follows sharpish as I want new trains on the
GOBLIN as it's my local (Overground) line and (almost) anything must be
better than clapped out 150s.

Ey up! Ken? Ken?!? I think we've found a home for those yellow 142s!

--
Tim

Selective killfiling - because life's too short

http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net
http://timsworkspace.fotopic.net

Old December 14th 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:38:14 -0000, "Tim Fenton"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

I do hope the TfL order follows sharpish as I want new trains on the
GOBLIN as it's my local (Overground) line and (almost) anything must be
better than clapped out 150s.

Ey up! Ken? Ken?!? I think we've found a home for those yellow 142s!

I rather carefully inserted the word "almost" in brackets in
anticipation of exactly this response. No we do not want those bloody
horrible things bouncing and grinding their way over track that is
riddled with speed restrictions because bridges and embankments are worn
out (even after a lot of upgrade work by NR on other stretches).
--
Paul C
Old December 17th 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:59:43 UTC, schrieb "Paul Scott"
auf uk.railway :

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

The "International Railway Journal" puts it this way in its "Latest
news" section:

quote
Porterbrook orders 27 dmus for British Franchise

LEASING company Porterbrook has awarded Bombardier a Euros 129 million
contract to supply 27 class 172 Turbostar dmus for Britain's London
Midland franchise. The 12 two-car and 15 three-car trains will be a
lightweight, low-emissions variant of the existing class 170 dmu and
will be used on commuter services in the Birmingham area. The trains
will be equipped with end gangway doors to allow multiple working.
They will be assembled at Bombardier's Derby plant and will enter
service in July 2010.
/quote

The German language Eurailpress adds that the bogies will be
produced in Siegen, and that the vehicles will be equipped with Mitrac
control and traction system.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old December 17th 07, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:28:26 +0100, "L=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=ko Willms"
wrote:

LEASING company Porterbrook has awarded Bombardier a Euros 129 million
contract to supply 27 class 172 Turbostar dmus for Britain's London
Midland franchise. The 12 two-car and 15 three-car trains will be a
lightweight, low-emissions variant of the existing class 170 dmu and
will be used on commuter services in the Birmingham area. The trains
will be equipped with end gangway doors to allow multiple working.
They will be assembled at Bombardier's Derby plant and will enter
service in July 2010.
/quote

Does that make them new-generation "Derby Lightweights", then?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 17th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On Dec 17, 8:28 am, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

The German language Eurailpress adds that the bogies will be
produced in Siegen, and that the vehicles will be equipped with Mitrac
control and traction system.

I beleive this is normal for all Turbostar (and Electrostar)
production.

--
Nick