Old December 16th 07, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default Oyster PAYG to Paddington

In the TfL 2008 fares leaflet, PAYG is listed as being valid from 2nd
January between Ealing Broadway and Greenford (except intermediate
station) on First Great Western. This won't require any new hardware
so is easy to implement.

However, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-dec-2007.pdf
states that PAYG will be valid between Paddington, Ealing Broadway and
Greenford. I wonder what will actually be the case.

Old December 16th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

However,http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-and-papers-de...
states that PAYG will be valid between Paddington, Ealing Broadway and
Greenford. I wonder what will actually be the case.

Well there are no Oyster readers at Paddington mainline that I can
recall - certalinly not on the Greenford platforms which have no
barriers at all.

Old December 16th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message
In the TfL 2008 fares leaflet, PAYG is listed as being valid from 2nd
January between Ealing Broadway and Greenford (except intermediate
station) on First Great Western. This won't require any new hardware
so is easy to implement.

However,
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-dec-2007.pdf
states that PAYG will be valid between Paddington, Ealing Broadway and
Greenford. I wonder what will actually be the case.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...G-08-01-02.pdf

The 2008 version of TfLs version of the NR/PAYG map shows the lines from
Greenford into Paddington, and from Ealing Broadway into Paddington,
available by 'Spring 2008'. This has a note all to itself, and is different
to the current version of the same map, which does shows EB (only) to PAD
available in January...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...yster-PAYG.pdf

Paul S

Old December 16th 07, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
In the TfL 2008 fares leaflet, PAYG is listed as being valid from 2nd
January between Ealing Broadway and Greenford (except intermediate
station) on First Great Western. This won't require any new hardware
so is easy to implement.

However,http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-and-papers-de...
states that PAYG will be valid between Paddington, Ealing Broadway and
Greenford. I wonder what will actually be the case.

Well there are no Oyster readers at Paddington mainline that I can
recall - certalinly not on the Greenford platforms which have no
barriers at all.

The only readers are on 15/16 - the LUL platforms, aside from those at the
LUL station, of course.

Old December 16th 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:51:38 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Good grief - two maps for supposedly the same thing. No wonder the
public are confused.

The second link is clearly wrong due to the London Midland reference in
the box.

Ealing Broadway - Greenford is a relatively easy thing to sort out given
both stations have Oyster compatible gates at their perimeter. I'd
guess there may need to be a validator installed at Greenford at
platform level just in case people need to validate there. Otherwise
it's simply a case of providing the relevant fare and off you go.

For Paddington and Acton Main Line then that's new installation for the
latter and probably a software and system update for the latter - I
don't know if all of Paddington Main Line is gated or not. Not been
there in years.
--
Paul C

Old December 16th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

wrote:

In the TfL 2008 fares leaflet, PAYG is listed as being valid from 2nd
January between Ealing Broadway and Greenford (except intermediate
station) on First Great Western. This won't require any new hardware
so is easy to implement.

However,http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-and-papers-de...
states that PAYG will be valid between Paddington, Ealing Broadway and
Greenford. I wonder what will actually be the case.

Well there are no Oyster readers at Paddington mainline that I can
recall - certalinly not on the Greenford platforms which have no
barriers at all.

Platform 2-5 are gated, but they are usually for first stop Slough (at
least). The gates have the Oyster LEDs on them, but I don't know if
they contain readers.
Old December 16th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...G-08-01-02.pdf

The 2008 version of TfLs version of the NR/PAYG map shows the lines from
Greenford into Paddington, and from Ealing Broadway into Paddington,
available by 'Spring 2008'. This has a note all to itself, and is
different
to the current version of the same map, which does shows EB (only) to PAD
available in January...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...yster-PAYG.pdf

Good grief - two maps for supposedly the same thing. No wonder the
public are confused.

The NR site shows the current situation, and TfL show 2 different futures!
Mind that is a further 3 editions to the ones we were discussing here about
a month ago...

I think there was a thread recently linking to drawings of how Paddington's
remaining platforms were to be gated. Haven't found it via google though, it
mustn't have an obvious title...

Paul S

Old December 16th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Found the thread now: 'Ticket machines at Paddington - sometimes not
accepting notes?' started 21 Nov, 2142 in uk.railway. Reports gateline
extension going in Jan 08.

Paul S

Old December 16th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

I also wonder if any other "quick wins" will be introduced sooner,
such as Clapham Junction to Richmond / Wimbledon on SWT, and
Thameslink stations to Wimbledon on Thameslink.

Old December 16th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:35:47 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

I also wonder if any other "quick wins" will be introduced sooner,
such as Clapham Junction to Richmond / Wimbledon on SWT, and
Thameslink stations to Wimbledon on Thameslink.

No idea but it is noticeable that much of the effort is being North of
the Thames at present.

The TfL Board papers say that advance orders have been placed for long
lead time items in advance of there being actual agreement with all
operators. I guess this must refer to validators and readers for gates
and ticket machines plus possibly local site computers and cabling. The
other main issue is the extent to which Oyster retailing is being rolled
out in tandem with PAYG extension. I've lost track of what TOC ticketing
systems can work with Oyster and what the arrangements are these days
but something must have been sorted out even as an interim stage to
allow the extensions that apply from 2/1/08.

My guess would be that the most likely next steps would be extensions
north of the river with FCC on both Thameslink and Great Northern with
One adding in their stations beyond the current LU nodes (Seven Sisters,
Tottenham Hale, Stratford and Walthamstow Central).

It's much more complex south of the river due to multiple operators and
the sheer complexity of routes / service patterns. South Eastern were
reported as being least interested so they well come along last. You
might get parts of SWT done but Southern and FCC probably have to be
done together but then FCC overlaps with South Eastern (a little) too so
it all gets a bit difficult!

Having just perused the London Connections map I noted the interesting
complication that is called Tramlink. This links up various TOC lines
and operates on a completely different charging basis. I wonder how PAYG
is going to deal with that for "through" journeys!
--
Paul C