Old December 20th 07, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU delay compensation

Claims are going to be checked more accurately apparently...

Very unlucky to be caught really:

"LU noticed the scam after it found 7,105 vouchers from the same address."

Paul S

Old December 20th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
Claims are going to be checked more accurately apparently...

Very unlucky to be caught really:

"LU noticed the scam after it found 7,105 vouchers from the same address."

Idiots. The scammers for thinking they would get away with something so
obvious, and LU for letting them get away with it for so long.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old December 20th 07, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 13:50, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Idiots. The scammers for thinking they would get away with something so
obvious, and LU for letting them get away with it for so long.

One worked for government , one is a branch of government. Who's
surprised?

Thing I don't get is what did they need so many for? You can't cash
them in (unless theres some black market for them) so unless they were
planning for their next 10 years of travel - though I'm sure they must
have an expiry date - it seems an odd thing to do anyway.

B2003

Old December 20th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 20, 5:35 pm, Boltar wrote:
Thing I don't get is what did they need so many for? You can't cash
them in (unless theres some black market for them) so unless they were
planning for their next 10 years of travel - though I'm sure they must
have an expiry date - it seems an odd thing to do anyway.

B2003

Yeah they're valid only for 13 months from the date of issue. We see
quite regularly people buying season tickets with a number of these
vouchers, and no way were they delayed by 15 minutes all those times
in a year! Sometimes they have up to 15 from the same date!

They are transferable though, so potentially they could be sold on for
less than face value, making a profit for the dodgy folks.
Old December 21st 07, 01:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:35:15 -0800 (PST), Boltar
wrote:

On 20 Dec, 13:50, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Idiots. The scammers for thinking they would get away with something so
obvious, and LU for letting them get away with it for so long.

One worked for government , one is a branch of government. Who's
surprised?

Thing I don't get is what did they need so many for? You can't cash
them in (unless theres some black market for them) so unless they were
planning for their next 10 years of travel - though I'm sure they must
have an expiry date - it seems an odd thing to do anyway.

They're valid for 13 months from the date of issue, but can be
converted into PAYG credit. I don't know if they can then be cashed in
indirectly.

Old December 21st 07, 06:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 20, 5:35 pm, Boltar wrote:
On 20 Dec, 13:50, Michael Hoffman wrote:

Idiots. The scammers for thinking they would get away with something so
obvious, and LU for letting them get away with it for so long.

One worked for government , one is a branch of government. Who's
surprised?

Thing I don't get is what did they need so many for?

The BBC tells us that, bizarrely, "The money was used to buy
travelcards which were again used for further claims."
Eventually they would have been buying millions of travelcards a week
with billions of vouchers.
Old December 21st 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Cyril Sneer wrote:
Yeah they're valid only for 13 months from the date of issue. We see
quite regularly people buying season tickets with a number of these
vouchers, and no way were they delayed by 15 minutes all those times
in a year! Sometimes they have up to 15 from the same date!

I used to get a lot of these when I commuted on the Met from Uxbridge
daily. As there was then a published timetable telling me what my
arrival time was supposed to be - never mind the poster on the wall with
journey times, I found it quite common for trains to run over 15 mins
late. Although I sent individual claims off, TfL would process the
claims in batches so easy to get up to 15 all with the same date and as
I used weekly seasons it was often I would have enough to buy the season
entirely with vouchers. Don't forget they refund (or used to )the entire
single fare for each delayed leg even if you have a season.

I always expected my claims to be checked so I made sure exact details
of delay were on form. On a bad week over 50% of my journeys were
delayed by at least 15mins but often more. If I forgot the details I
would not claim. Interesting to note the only time a claim was ever
turned down was that day a few years back the whole power in central
London was lost. TfLs excuse was that it was the fault of their
contractors so not covered by the charter. I didn't agree as I got
stranded at Rayners Lane where the power was still on and I could hear
lots of confusion as whether the train should proceed or not. Nowadays I
travel on the Piccadilly line from Zone 3. Still delays but as it's a
shorter journey it's rare they get to 15 mins so I hardly ever claim now.