Old September 3rd 03, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

Default Exact Fare Only

Robin May wrote:
CJG wrote the following in:

In message
,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Never had a problem with my credit cards in LU ticket machines. My
main problem is that they won't sell child fares which is a
problem when accompanied by my children, especially at stations
with ludicrous queues like King's Cross.

This is of course because LU are worried adults may be naughty and
buy a child ticket instead of an adult one.

Have you any idea how many people do that? It's extremely common you
know.

Why don't they just program the machines so that child tickets can only be
purchased with an adult ticket, when a credit card has been selected as
payment method. Genuine children who are on their own would be paying cash
anyway since they are too young to hold a credit card.

Old September 3rd 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
CJG wrote the following in:

In message
,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Never had a problem with my credit cards in LU ticket machines. My
main problem is that they won't sell child fares which is a
problem when accompanied by my children, especially at stations
with ludicrous queues like King's Cross.

This is of course because LU are worried adults may be naughty and
buy a child ticket instead of an adult one.

Have you any idea how many people do that? It's extremely common you
know.

Of course these kind of people just stroll through the open gates

Open gates are not common or consistent enough to rely on.

or just follow someone else through the gate.

Hard to do.

It's not hard to do. I suspected someone behind me was trying to do this so
stopped after I had gone through the barrier. Despite the fact that I was
clear of the barriers they remained open and the person behind was able to
walk through. The new barriers are especially easy to do this on.

Old September 3rd 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , David Walters
writes
Under 18s can't have a credit card account but some card issuers
(especially in the US) will let children have cards on an adults
account.

Under 18 year olds can have solo cards though. Not sure if you can have
them under 16 mind.
--
CJG
Old September 3rd 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , CJG
writes
In message , David Walters
writes
Under 18s can't have a credit card account but some card issuers
(especially in the US) will let children have cards on an adults
account.

Under 18 year olds can have solo cards though. Not sure if you can have
them under 16 mind.

I was issued a proper 'Switch' (not Solo) card well before I turned 18.
I also had a Visa Electron from 16, which I believe LT ticket machines
*should* take.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old September 4th 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message

I was issued a proper 'Switch' (not Solo) card well before I
turned 18. I also had a Visa Electron from 16, which I believe LT
ticket machines *should* take.

You stop being able to buy child tickets at 16, so there's no

problem
with ticket machines taking those cards but not offering child

tickets.

What about an adult wanting to buy a child ticket on such a card?