Old December 30th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zonal Boundaries

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Mwmbwls wrote:

In the new year, Hampstead Heath and Willesden Junction will be
redesignated from zone 3 to zone 2 following complaints.

Is Willesden Junction going to be in zone 2 or zone 2/3? The former move
could be unpopular with those travelling there from the north (if there's
much destination traffic on those lines).

Zones 2/3 - it's confirmed in the 2008 fares leaflet:

Previous Zones A, B, C and D become Zones 7 (A & B), 8 (C) and 9 (D)

Acton Central – Zone 3
Bushey – Zone 8
Carpenders Park – Zone 7
Hampstead Heath – Zone 2
Watford High Street – Zone 8
Willesden Junction – Zones 2/3

For those interested in other changes...

Paul S

Old December 30th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 30, 8:24*pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On Dec 30, 12:17*pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(Mwmbwls) wrote:

[snip]

Any more suggestions as to where the zonal boundaries should be?

Another problem is that zones were designed for just 3* of today's
style zones but the number was increased over the years to push fares
up.

* Fares Fare in 1982 had 4 zones for the whole of Greater London but
two of them comprised the current Zone 1 which was divided East-West.

Maybe part of the answer is to have overlapping zones so that, as at
boundary stations, it's possible to make a one zone journey in either
direction to two places, a journey between which might cover two zones?

That would be a completely new system though.

Are you overlooking the cases where zone boundary stations are in two
zones? There will be a small increase in their numbers from 2 January.

No; I'm saying that rather than the odd individual station which is
directly on the boundary as now, it could be standard to have an
overlapping zonal area. At the moment you are lucky if you happen to
use a station on a boundary. It could be made standard practice.

The real answer is for all public transport to be free (like bendy
buses).

There are other issues there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel- Hide quoted text -

Old December 31st 07, 12:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:

Seaford should definitely be in zone 6.

How would that help, when Bishopstone is in Zone 93?

Old December 31st 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DERWENT Zonal Boundaries
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:31:33 -0000, "Chris Read"

"Mwmbwls" wrote:

Any more suggestions as to where the zonal boundaries should be?

Seaford should definitely be in zone 6.

Might see a few price increases for all zone travelcards then.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old December 31st 07, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DERWENT Zonal Boundaries
30 Dec 2007 18:39:25 GMT, DaveP

A Transport for London spokesman said: "Our zonal boundaries are set
up to provide a simple and fair framework for setting distance based
ticket prices.

Zones are unfair because most people only use unlimited travel within the
central part of the system and not at the extremes.

Not true. I have a 456 travelcard and I use it all over these zones.

It also makes no
sense to pay more to travel one stop in one direction than the other just
because it takes you over a zone boundry.

Agreed - there use to be short hop fares for this. Best soplution is
to have some ofrm of overlap though.

I don't buy the simplicity
argument either, you turn up, ask for a ticket and get told how much it
is. You can accept or decline, just like in other walks of life!

With a zonal ticket you don't need to worry if things change slightly
- just use the nearest appropriate station.

I'm sure Oyster could as easily cope with point to point mileage based
fares as it can with zonal, the calculation of distances between each
station would only need to be done the once.

Ok then what is the point to point distance for Dartford to London
Bridge.

I've had seasons for around 10 years from Potters Bar and am typical
commuter, one route in and out, with occasional weekend shopping and
social stuff taking me around Z1-2 maybe a few times a month. I managed
to save £400 a year by buying a season ticket for zones 1-4 and then a
point to point from there to Potters Bar. It serves all my travel needs
and I'm not paying for zones 5-6 in bits of London I never go to. Even
then the saving would more than pay for any occasional travel.

Well done, but why 1-4, and not 1-2?

I imagine this loophole will vanish once seasons go zonal, but hopefully
by then the rail companies will have a pre-pay system going.

So far point to point seasons have survived.

PRAR

Old December 31st 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Aspiring London Mayor Brian Paddick says his first act on election
will be to order a redrawing of the zonal bounderies. Pity therefore
that he has absolutely no power or authority to do so,

Old December 31st 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Zones are unfair because most people only use unlimited travel within
the central part of the system and not at the extremes.

Not true. I have a 456 travelcard and I use it all over these zones.

I knew someone would say that ... I did say "most people" You can have a
system that's fair on you, now can the rest of us have one that's fair on
us too?

I'm sure Oyster could as easily cope with point to point mileage based

Ok then what is the point to point distance for Dartford to London

The rail companies have distance figures and the fares could be worked out
from this data (like they were at one time) - you get the fare online or at
the station, pretty much like anything else you'd buy.

managed to save £400 a year by buying a season ticket for zones 1-4

Well done, but why 1-4, and not 1-2?

Because for some odd reason it was cheaper to do it 1-4 than 1-2.

Old January 1st 08, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"DaveP" wrote in message
54...
Zones are unfair because most people only use unlimited travel within
the central part of the system and not at the extremes.

Not true. I have a 456 travelcard and I use it all over these zones.

I knew someone would say that ... I did say "most people" You can have
system that's fair on you, now can the rest of us have one that's fair on
us too?

I'm sure Oyster could as easily cope with point to point mileage based

Ok then what is the point to point distance for Dartford to London

The rail companies have distance figures and the fares could be worked out
from this data (like they were at one time) - you get the fare online or
at
the station, pretty much like anything else you'd buy.

So which of the 5 routes from Dartford to London would you use to calculate
the fare?

Peter Smyth

Old January 1st 08, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 31 2007, 11:22*pm, DaveP wrote:
[...]

No doubt it varies, but in the past when combining a one-day
travelcard and a day return from boundary to country location*, I seem
to remember that it worked out cheapest to maximise the travelcard
part.

It seems odd that adding zones to the travelcard wouldn't cost as much
as including a London section on the day return, but at least
sometimes it apparently wouldn't.

*The travelcard being necessary anyway to get to the start of the
journey. I think it was something like south London to Southend via
Limehouse.