Old January 17th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default 16/01/2008 - London Lite

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 17 Jan, 06:26, Roland Perry wrote:
and whatever that station "for the Dome" is called

There's an isolated terrace of houses that survived demolition of
everything else, complete with pub:
http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub136.html

Just over half a mile away there's Greenwich Millennium Village, which
is a load of fancy flats.

does half a mile get you across to the north bank of the river?

Very nearly.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Hattton Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Old January 17th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:
Hattton Cross -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is it?

Old January 17th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 20:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:

Hattton Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

Really?! That's a somewhat astounding stat.

Regarding passenger numbers at Hatton Cross, the figures on Wikipedia
are for 2006 - and from January 2005 (I think) until September 2006
the Piccadilly line loop to Terminal 4 was closed for construction of
the junction and line to the new Terminal 5 station. Therefore for
over eight months of that year, most of those arriving by tube and
heading for T4 would have exited at Hatton Cross to catch the
replacement bus to T4.

Nevertheless taking the tube from Hatton Cross to is a nifty way of
getting to and from the central Heathrow complex (i.e. terminals 1,2 &
3). One could presume that many local workers use this route, perhaps
arriving at Hatton Cross by bus or car (whether being dropped off or
parking in the car park) - and indeed I dare suggest this might well
be regarded as a nifty route by many others "in the know".

Actually accessing the central Heathrow complex on foot is no longer
possible - though there is apparently a free shuttle bus that goes
through the tunnel that emerges in the north by Bath Road/the A4.
Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists, though these have now been
modified to take a lane of cars, with cyclists apparently having
priority and pedestrians getting booted out. I'm mildly intrigued -
one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.
Old January 17th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 21:30, wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 20:31:56 on
Thu, 17 Jan 2008, remarked:
Hattton Cross -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatton_Cross

From reading I'm suprised passenger numbers for the station are relatively
high.

Airport workers (overall, there's almost one for each passenger-per-day
through the airport).

You mean they get the Underground for one stop? Hardly worth it is it?

As I point out in my other post, there isn't any way of easily walking
to the central Heathrow complex from Hatton Cross. Look at a street
map...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...75750&z=2&ar=N

...and you'll see that a pedestrian would have to walk north along
Eastchurch Road, west along the Northern Perimeter Road then catch the
shuttle bus from wherever it is that it leaves from to go into
Heathrow (and I've looked and failed to find any information about
this shuttle bus on the Heathrow website).

The other option for pedestrians is to walk to Terminal 4 then catch
the Heathrow Express train to Terminals 1,2 & 3 - though they do only
go every 15 minutes, so the Piccadilly line does seem like a good
option.

Plus a Hatton Cross - Heathrow fare is just £1 at any time on Oyster
PAYG.
Old January 17th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Jan, 21:12, Paul Corfield wrote:
Hatton Cross is of course bang slap next to Heathrow airport!

Precisely. Who would want to live there!

After today, thrill-seekers?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old January 18th 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Henry wrote:

On Jan 17, 12:05 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

True. I'm still surprised at the implication that prices in nice parts
of Z5/6 are apparently lower than in manky parts of Z2/3.

That does seem strange - but tube stations are more likely to be on a
main road surrounded by shops, so that the average for areas further out
is likely to be depressed by over-representation of locally undesirable
flats. Not sure I've explained that very well! Basically a house in a
cheap area can still cost more than a flat in a posh one.

No, i get it - in the outer suburbs, there are town centres around the
stations, with shops and cheap, undesirable housing, with the leafy lanes
of big expensive houses further out. Makes perfect sense.

Did they try to correct for the nature of the property somehow (only
include 2-bed houses or something)?

I don't believe so.

tom

--
It's just really ****ing good and that's all. -- Gabe, on the Macintosh
Old January 18th 08, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

PS what do you call the subdivision of a circle that's the part of a
sector between two concentric circles? I'm calling it a block because
of hard disks, but it must have a proper name.

Is it an annular sector?

Aha. That's certainly what this report on people being exposed to
radiation from a reprocessing plant calls them:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/li...eis0220_4.html

This analysis of outgassing calls them 'annulus sectors', which comes to
much the same thing:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/genesis/Outgassing.html

tom

--
It's just really ****ing good and that's all. -- Gabe, on the Macintosh
Old January 18th 08, 05:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
13:39:36 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Nevertheless taking the tube from Hatton Cross to is a nifty way of
getting to and from the central Heathrow complex (i.e. terminals 1,2 &
3). One could presume that many local workers use this route, perhaps
arriving at Hatton Cross by bus or car (whether being dropped off or
parking in the car park) - and indeed I dare suggest this might well
be regarded as a nifty route by many others "in the know".

I wasn't really thinking about those airport workers, but I think BA may
have quite a large staff car park in the vicinity. One might expect them
to have a private shuttle bus for staff, though.

Actually accessing the central Heathrow complex on foot is no longer
possible - though there is apparently a free shuttle bus that goes
through the tunnel that emerges in the north by Bath Road/the A4.
Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists,

and taxis, wasn't it?

though these have now been modified to take a lane of cars, with
cyclists apparently having priority and pedestrians getting booted out.
I'm mildly intrigued - one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.

The smaller tunnels are also planned to be repurposed yet again - for
phase 2 of the pod-trains (if the trial at terminal 5 is a success).
Old January 18th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Wikipedia tells me that there are two smaller tunnels that did used to
be dedicated for pedestrians and cyclists, though these have now been
modified to take a lane of cars, with cyclists apparently having
priority and pedestrians getting booted out. I'm mildly intrigued -
one day I'll go and investigate this arrangement.

The southbound tunnel is heavily used as a handy way to get into the
airport. I find it mildly scary because the walls and roof are so close to
the vehicle that it feels like playing that kids game where you move a metal
loop along a metal wire and mustn't position it even a centimetre wrong or
the bell will ring. The northbound one seems even narrower and lower, and is
virtually unused because there is a forced left turn at the northern end,
meaning it's no use unless you want the A4 to Colnbrook.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2826&encType=1
shows the red cycle path encouraging cyclists to use the middle rather than
hug the kerb where some fool might try to overtake them. There is a similar
marking on the southbound one.