Old February 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default WHy is the central line so much faster?

Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

B2003

Old February 11th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 11, 7:17*pm, Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

B2003

I guess it's to do with what's allowed with automatic operation.

Any higher speed was mitigated for years by the fact that the
operators seemed to take about thirty seconds to release the doors at
every station. They seem to have got better at it now.
Old February 11th 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MIG" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 7:17 pm, Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

B2003

I guess it's to do with what's allowed with automatic operation.

Any higher speed was mitigated for years by the fact that the
operators seemed to take about thirty seconds to release the doors at
every station. They seem to have got better at it now.

The announcements are still way off sometimes. Half way out the station and
they are still saying what station it is.

Old February 11th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Feb 11, 7:17 pm, Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison?

I guess it's to do with what's allowed with automatic operation.

The Victoria line is pretty fast too, for the same reason
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

The Met main line, late at night, is hardly known for its sluggishness. I've
been on post-midnight trains, many times, and been hanging on for dear life
to anything that was fixed, especially between Finchley Road and Moor Park!

Old February 11th 08, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
MIG wrote:
On Feb 11, 7:17 pm, Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison?

I guess it's to do with what's allowed with automatic operation.

The Victoria line is pretty fast too, for the same reason

Trains on Piccadilly line seem to do pretty well speedwise between
Hammersmith and Acton Town.

And what about trains running fast on the Metropolitan Line? I heard that
the A62s could do close to 70 miles before they started to discover cracks
in the bogies.

What's up with the S stock, BTW? 'Any models running around for testing yet?

Old February 11th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Feb, 22:16, wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
The Victoria line is pretty fast too, for the same reason

It is not, it just makes a lot of noise. I was shocked to discover the
leisurely Gospel Oak to Barking line does a similar length journey in
the same time, with only slightly fewer stops.

Diamond Geezer has a handy chart:
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/20...76561523894676

What's up with the S stock, BTW? 'Any models running around for testing yet?

They've only just started building the first couple of carriages:
http://www.districtdave.proboards39....e=4#1201372611

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 11th 08, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 11 Feb, 22:16, wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
The Victoria line is pretty fast too, for the same reason

It is not, it just makes a lot of noise. I was shocked to discover the
leisurely Gospel Oak to Barking line does a similar length journey in
the same time, with only slightly fewer stops.

Diamond Geezer has a handy chart:
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/20...76561523894676

Hmmm, I am unconvinced by the average speed over the whole line. The
Central and especially the Metropolitan line have long non-stop expanses
which would certainly help the overall speed, but not the speed in
central London with lots of stops.

But on reading the original post more carefully, it seems Boltar is
discussing the speed in nonstop areas so this is not relevant.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 12th 08, 06:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 11, 7:17 pm, Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

B2003

Yeah! I normally use the Northern or District, but I was on the
Central the other day and it went like a rocket. However, I've heard
that London Bridge-Southwark (Jubilee) is the fastest piece of track.
Old February 12th 08, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 11, 10:10*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

The Met main line, late at night, is hardly known for its sluggishness. I've
been on post-midnight trains, many times, and been hanging on for dear life
to anything that was fixed, especially between Finchley Road and Moor Park!

The Central Line used to seem to really move at the other far end,
mainly heading south (west if someone insists) from Theydon Bois to
Debden and also between Epping and North Weald.

Then again, 1962 stock was so bouncy even at low speeds that maybe it
just seemed fast. Don't often go that way these days.