Old February 16th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Fare and routing query

I just done a search on the TFL "Fare Finder" page for Ruislip
(London Underground) to Hackney Central ( London Overground ). It
came out with the following results :

Ruislip - Hackney Central

Oyster single fare
£1.80 Monday to Friday from 0700 and before 1900*
£1.00 At all other times including public holidays.
Cash single fare
£3.00 At any time.

So in theory a return journey can cost you as little as £2.00 outside
the hours of 0700 - 1900.

The fare pricing suggests that the route to be used cannot traverse
through Zone 1.
The obvious route is if you go via Finchley Rd Tube and then change at
Finchley Rd + Frognal but you will have to touch out at Finchley Road
and touch in at Finchley Rd + Frognal and hence will be charged for
two journeys and the total fare will be more than the £1.00 / £1.80
listed above.
If according to the above I only pay £1.00 / £1.80 for the journey, it
means I have to use a route which involves touching in at Ruislip,
touching out at Hackney , no touching out / in at immediate stations
and I MUST NOT travel through zone 1. Changing at Finchley Rd and
Finchley Road + Frognal is out of the question as I will have to touch
out and in again and get charged for two journeys. So for which route
is this £1.80 / £1.00 ticket valid ? Obviously I cannot go into
Central London ( ZONE 1) and then up to Highbury + Islington to
change for London Overground. I am trying to think of a route which
would involve :

1. Not exiting exiting / touching out and then entering / touching in
at immediate stations en route.

2. The provision to change trains at a London Overground station which
has a LU interchange and does not require me to travel through zone 1
to reach it !

Any suggestions for this route ??? The TFL journey planner suggests
the Finchley Rd, changing at Finchley Rd + Frognal route but then I
will get charged twice and the fare will be more than £1.80 / £1.00.

Cheers,

UC

Old February 16th 08, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:03:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

There are other examples of low fares seemingly based on non zone 1
travel which work perfectly well if you go via Zone 1. One local example
to me is Tottenham Hale to Canary Wharf. It's charged on the basis of
using the "one" service from TH to Stratford and then changing. However
you are not disadvantaged if you go via Green Park and change from Vic
Line to Jubilee Line.

I don't see why you are worried about going via zone 1. If your card is
checked en route it will just show where you entered and how much was
deducted on entry. The card cannot show where you are going and any
fare due is simply determined at exit - in your case almost certainly by
adding value back on to the card. If the fare finder shows the value of
£1 then that's what you get charged regardless of route.

The only non zone 1 option which is reasonably feasible and where I
think there is a recognised PAYG interchange is via West Hampstead. Now
that involves you in either a double back from Finchley Road or a change
to the Jubilee at Wembley Park. The only other option I can think of is
Met through to Kings Cross then Vic Line then NLL at Highbury. All of
that is a no gateline interchange if that soothes your anxiety. Heck of
a long way round for a short cut though. I'd be tempted to do the West
Hampstead option.

--
Paul C

Old February 16th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb, 14:13, "Paul Scott" wrote:

That isn't how PAYG works though. Touching out and back in within an
unspecified 'short time' (which I reckon is about 15 mins) continues the
original journey.

Paul S

Thanks Paul. So imagine this scenario. I have £1.00 on my Oyster and I
want to go from Ruislip to Hackney Central on Saturday night.The TFL
fare finder says the fare is £1.00. I touch in at Ruislip and touch
out at Finchley Rd. The fare for that stretch would also be £1.00 so
in effect is there nothing on my card now ? What would happen if I
touched in at Finchley Rd + Frognal within 10 mins of touching out of
Finchley Rd with "zero" on my card - would the system make allowances
for the fact that I am continuing a journey and credit my card again
- only taking off the £1.00 when I touch out at Hackney Central ?

uc

Old February 16th 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 16, 3:11 pm, wrote:
On 16 Feb, 14:13, "Paul Scott" wrote:

That isn't how PAYG works though. Touching out and back in within an
unspecified 'short time' (which I reckon is about 15 mins) continues the
original journey.

Paul S

Thanks Paul. So imagine this scenario. I have £1.00 on my Oyster and I
want to go from Ruislip to Hackney Central on Saturday night.The TFL
fare finder says the fare is £1.00. I touch in at Ruislip and touch
out at Finchley Rd. The fare for that stretch would also be £1.00 so
in effect is there nothing on my card now ? What would happen if I
touched in at Finchley Rd + Frognal within 10 mins of touching out of
Finchley Rd with "zero" on my card - would the system make allowances
for the fact that I am continuing a journey and credit my card again
- only taking off the £1.00 when I touch out at Hackney Central ?

You shouldn't have a problem assuming Finchley Rd - FR&Frognall is a
valid "out of station interchange", like Hammersmith, and not just a
convienient interchange like Shepherds Bush.

Old February 16th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb, 15:11, wrote:
What would happen if I
touched in at Finchley Rd + Frognal within 10 mins of touching out of
Finchley *Rd with "zero" on my card - would the system make allowances
for the fact *that I am continuing a journey and credit my card again
- only taking off the £1.00 when I touch out at Hackney Central ?

At certain pairs of stations, yes, including all those marked as
interchanges on the tube map. I don't think the Finchley Roads count,
but the West Hampsteads definitely do, and would be the appropriate
route for your journey. It's probably fastest to go down to Finchley
Road and get the Jubilee back, rather than changing at Wembley Park.

(btw, even though you aren't charged a Z1 fare, you're completely
allowed to go that way if you want to)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 16th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb, 17:42, Mr Thant
wrote:

(btw, even though you aren't charged a Z1 fare, you're completely
allowed to go that way if you want to)

So would Ruislip (Metropolitan Line) - Kings Cross (Victoria Line) -
Highbury & Islington (London Overground) - Hackney Central route be
perfectly acceptable even though the TFL planner suggests changing at
Finchley Rd and Finchley Rd + Frognal ?
Old February 16th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb, 18:05, wrote:
So would Ruislip (Metropolitan Line) - Kings Cross (Victoria Line) -
Highbury & Islington (London Overground) - Hackney Central route be
perfectly acceptable even though the TFL planner suggests changing at
Finchley Rd and Finchley Rd + Frognal ?

Absolutely. In fact, the Oyster Terms and Conditions say nothing about
taking a direct or obvious route (some other ticket types do), so you
can spend up to two hours roaming the system before you get to
Hackney, as long as you touch in at the start and out at the end.