Old February 18th 08, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Jubilee line deteriorating service

Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

Old February 18th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

That will due to Metronet, oh hang on a minute, the Jubilee Line is run but
the super efficient Tubelines. I think that you imagined the delay in that
case.

Kevin

Old February 18th 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:07:41 on Mon, 18 Feb 2008, "
remarked:
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

You Londonders just don't realise how good you have it. Most of the
trains where I live only run once an hour, twice if you are really
lucky!
Old February 18th 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 18, 6:15 pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
wrote in message

Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

That will due to Metronet, oh hang on a minute, the Jubilee Line is run but
the super efficient Tubelines. I think that you imagined the delay in that
case.

Kevin

At least it is showing Tubelines up too!

However, it is up to LUL to manage and deal with the disruptions that
LUL, the InfraCo or the beloved passengers cause. It is down to LUL to
regulate out the service and to decide whether to cancel or reverse
trains.

Some of the line (signal control north/west of Green Park) is down to
Metronet, though this will change in 2009 when upgrade moves on
again.
Old February 18th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Feb, 15:07, " wrote:
Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

I'm pretty sure I would have joined the heaving masses in the first
train, or maybe just waited for the second, but not beyond that. Did
you go to one end of the platform - the ends of the train are often
less packed. Out of interest which way were you going? I shall guess
it was westwards towards Canary Wharf/ central London...

Obviously something had gone wrong somewhere, perhaps a signal fault
or someone activated an emergency alarm - what information were you
given over the PA?

Old February 18th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
07:07:41 on Mon, 18 Feb 2008, "
remarked:
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

You Londonders just don't realise how good you have it. Most of the
trains where I live only run once an hour, twice if you are really
lucky!

I certainly take your point Roland, however tens of thousands of
people in London are relying on these trains to take them to or from
work, which isn't the case in Notts - it would be great if it was, but
it ain't. In a way being philosophical and stoical about it sounds
like a good idea, however I think that attitude can mean the pressure
is somewhat taken off the operator (in this case LU - in the broadest
sense, so I include Tube Lines in that) from getting it right - I
think Metro systems elsewhere in the world are far less tolerant of
'operating issues', whatever they may be. Of course one should balance
that against the fact that LU was starved of funds for years, and only
in the past few years have big improvements really started to take
shape. When the Jubilee eventually fully switches over to ATO I expect
that its level of performance will go right up.

Meanwhile I think it's a good idea for people to be equally demanding
of railway operations all across Britain, though it does seem that in
many places people have broadly given up on such hopes and are merely
thankful that a service of sorts operates at all.
Old February 18th 08, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 18, 7:16 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 18 Feb, 15:07, " wrote:

Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

I'm pretty sure I would have joined the heaving masses in the first
train, or maybe just waited for the second, but not beyond that. Did
you go to one end of the platform - the ends of the train are often
less packed.

Do you travel regularly in the rush hour? I used to think 'I'm sure
I'd've pushed my way on' when people told me about waiting for a few
trains go past, but having experienced it (on the Northern line at
Clapham/Stockwell/Kennington,) there's a degree of crowding where you
can push quite impolitely into the people already on board and travel
with your head in someone's armpit, and then a degree of crowding
where it is simply *not possible* to get on.
Old February 18th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:16:56 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On 18 Feb, 15:07, " wrote:
Anyone wants to share his/her experience with the recent problems on
the Jubilee line? I just had a very bad day this morning again at the
Canning Town station. When I got there this morning, the next train
wasn't there until another 10 minutes. And of course, I could not get
on to a train until another next 2 trains as they were fully packed.
So in total, I waited for almost 18 mins on the platform! This is
really an unacceptable service.

I'm pretty sure I would have joined the heaving masses in the first
train, or maybe just waited for the second, but not beyond that. Did
you go to one end of the platform - the ends of the train are often
less packed. Out of interest which way were you going? I shall guess
it was westwards towards Canary Wharf/ central London...

I don't think you would have done. Assuming it was the rush hour then it
isn't that easy to get on a w/b train at Canning Town on a normal
headway. It would have been impossible with a ten minute gap in the
service. The flows at Stratford are just never ending - goodness knows
what it'll be like once all of the improved services are in place!

I attended what is called the Ops Committee last week and it was on the
Jubilee Line. The Line General Manager showed two graphs which showed
the growth in traffic, in both directions in the peak, over the last two
years. All of the 7th car capacity increase has been eaten up. The
extent of growth is quite amazing.

The Jubilee Line has had a rough few months and an awful lot of work is
being done to get it back to normal. This was all said in front of Tim
O'Toole so you can rest assured he will want to see it all delivered.

Obviously something had gone wrong somewhere, perhaps a signal fault
or someone activated an emergency alarm - what information were you
given over the PA?

Haven't seen the daily report but I fear it might be either a signal or
train issue - too many of those of late.

--
Paul C

Old February 18th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Feb, 15:07, " wrote:

[...]

Yes I do, but only by Tube some of the time. But yes, you make a fair
enough point. I must admit I was really thinking about this in the
context of the eastern end of the Jubilee line, where this gentleman
was attempting to get on board. I'm well aware that the line is well
patronised in the east these days, unlike in the early days, as more
people work at the Wharf and commute via Stratford and West Ham -
however, I am under the (perhaps wrongful) impression that during the
morning peak it still isn't as crowded as is the case going the other
way on the eastbound Jubilee heading in to the Docklands from central
London, Waterloo and London Bridge.

The picture you paint does show how ugly it can indeed get - and yes,
I also have experience of the southern section of the Northern line
into town and it is indeed sardine like. If one can possibly avoid the
Bank branch during the rush then they certainly should. I also bear
the scars of using the North London Line at peak times too, and that
is just somewhat unreal!
Old February 18th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 18 Feb, 15:07, " wrote:
[...]

I'm a little out of date, but evidently out of date enough to not have
appreciated quite how hectic it now gets at Stratford in the morning.
In which case I offer my apols to the OP for what I implied.

That said the alleged upcoming economic supercrash could sort out this
problem and turn Canary Wharf into a ghost town. As much as I might
like to think that the megabanks might deserve this for their wanton
recklessness and unceasing ability to build bigger and bigger houses
made from cards, a supercrash is not really something most of us would
wish for. Nonetheless an economic downturn could have profound effects
on the transport network, something I'm sure you're only too well
aware of.

Still, it's interesting to ponder just how successful the eastern end
of the JLE is compared to the 'ghost train' predictions that some
seemed to have at the time - there's at least one thread buried in the
archives of utl where this opinion was quite forcefully expressed.

If the sky doesn't cave in then it'll be interesting to see how well
the Jubilee copes with the ELLX, what with the interchange at Canada
Water. Obviously some Docklands bound traffic will switch to using
Canada Water as opposed to London Bridge to interchange between the
lines, but the short hop from there under the Thames could get a
little intimate.

The Jubilee Line has had a rough few months and an awful lot of work is
being done to get it back to normal. This was all said in front of Tim
O'Toole so you can rest assured he will want to see it all delivered.

Glad to here it, and I'm sure the OP will be too.