Old March 13th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea Bridge Road

Paul Terry wrote

Edward was referring to Vauxhall, which comes under SE11 (Kennington
postal area). It is adjacent to SW11 (which is Battersea).

The way that London postal district numbers developed has a strange
logic, largely based on the location of head sorting offices (and the

whims of Anthony Trollope).

Possibly, but blaming someone who died in 1882 when postal district
numbers didn't become part of postal addresses until 1932 or so seems
more legend than fact.

And indeed SW8 (Nine Elms) lies between SW11 and SE11 so they are not
adjacent.

--
Mike D

Old March 13th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Peter Heather writes
On 12 Mar, 12:33, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:
In message

Put a decent tube link in and the area would blossom. In the ends it
took me 2 hours to
get from Palmers Green to Battersea Bridge. *I may have been unlucky,
but no one is going to do that twice a day out of choice.

That's a typical north London attitude along the lines of the famous
newspaper headline "Fog in Channel. Europe cut off". Those of us in
the civilised part of London (south of the river) find little trouble
in moving around using things called trains and even buses. The almost
complete absence of the underground network isn't any sort of problem
at all. You should get out more ;-)

And yes we all know what a thriving area Greenwich, Woolwich & Plumstead
are ! Giro central last time I heard.

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Another Year Another Sheet Change !"

Old March 13th 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , Paul Terry
writes
Mind you Lord Archer lives in a tower block in SE11 which must be
worth several million

A good deal more than that, I suspect. There's a small two-bedroom
flat in the same block currently on the market for 3.5 million if you
are interested ...

And live in the same block as Archer & Peter Stringfellow !!

I'd expect a reduction in my council tax :-)

Well Battersea does have the cheapest council tax in the entire country...

--
Paul
Old March 13th 08, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01c884ac$c18c5520$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Possibly, but blaming someone who died in 1882 when postal district
numbers didn't become part of postal addresses until 1932 or so seems
more legend than fact.

Well, it was Trollope who got the original Southern postal area removed,
resulting in Vauxhall becoming part of the SE London postal area in
1868. It became SE11 around 1917 and that was retained when postcodes
were introduced in the 1970s. So, while I wouldn't blame Trollope for
the subsequent retention of the anomaly, it all resulted from his
original recommendation.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 13th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Mar, 12:33, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message
,
Mizter T writes

passing bus). The journey on the 344 from Vauxhall will take less than
15 minutes off-peak, and the service runs frequently.

Battersea really isn't that hard to get to!

It's the haven of the cheap office crowd. Courier companies and
Telesales, and all because it's transport blighted. Put a decent tube
link in and the area would blossom. In the ends it took me 2 hours to
get from Palmers Green to Battersea Bridge. I may have been unlucky,
but no one is going to do that twice a day out of choice.

In the nicest way possible I really think your comments demonstrate
that you don't have a remotely accurate view on the totality of
Battersea.

First off I really think you took the wrong route. Victoria line all
the way to Vauxhall and then on from there by either bus or train
would have been far quicker options, closer to one hour than two. I
note your comments downthread about the Victoria line, but on the
whole I do find that it works well and is a very speedy way to nip
across town.

Others have pointed out the average house price in Battersea.
Battersea is a large area, stretching from Clapham Junction to
Battersea Park. Like many other areas of London there is a
tessellation of grand houses and council estates. Just off Battersea
Bridge Road is the distinctly grotty Ethelburga estate, whilst next to
the river is the offices of Foster and Partners, the architects
practice. Meanwhile the roads south of Battersea Park (such as Prince
of Wales Drive) are very plush, whilst south of Battersea Park Road,
sandwiched between that and the railway line is the rather grim
Doddington Estate.

I think the cheap office crowd you refer to is actually up on Nine
Elms Lane, the main road that leads from Battersea into Vauxhall, and
it's not just cheap offices but is also host to Royal Mail's South
London mail centre, a DHL delivery centre, a waste handling station,
and the government car service. Much of the area - south of Nine Elms
Lane at least - used to be extensive railway yards. Since their demise
some of this land was used for the location of the New Covent Garden
Market.

Again this are along Nine Elms Lane cannot be described as transport
blighted - Vauxhall station is at the north east end, whilst at the
south west there are two stations - Battersea Park (on the line into
Victoria) and Queenstown Road Battersea (on the line into Waterloo),
both of which enjoy very regular services. And there's a regular bus
service that runs up and down it.