Old March 15th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kensington Olympia district line

No, Kenny O has some gates but is open most of the time; there is
nothing on the east side, indeed the single Oyster reader, tucked away
by the overbridge is easy to miss, perhaps to help catch people out
and hope they get charged the maximum! Incidentally, is this the
reason why Oyster readers are so small and painted an unobtrusive
grey? Given how important they are to most travellers, they should be
fluorescent orange!

Given that they were installed at a time when not touching out didn't mean a
penalty fare, I suspect it is not deliberate.

LEWIS

Old March 19th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 05:15:37AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Mar, 11:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Measured how? By tickets sold at that station? Barrier entries/exits?
Both those will be too low - the latter especially, because at least
when I've gone there for an exhibition they've just opened the gates and
let everyone flood in and out unimpeded.

Opening the automatic gates at Kensington Olympia would be difficult
because there aren't any there!

Ha! That would explain why I've never seen any in use then :-)

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

When one has bathed in Christ there is no need to bathe a second time
-- St. Jerome, on why washing is a vile pagan practice
in a letter to Heliodorus, 373 or 374 AD
Old March 19th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:54:41PM +0000, Dave Newt wrote:

They had an interesting counting thing at Euston a few weeks back. Any
time you entered any station entrance or came off a platform, you were
given a card of a certain colour. When you left the station or entered a
platform, you had to drop the coloured card into a box.

The idea being too see how many of which colour ended up where.

Nifty!

Of course, most people either immediately chucked the cards on the floor
or didn't remember or think to give them up when they left, so I'm not
sure what success rate they had in getting the cards back.

Doesn't matter. They just need to compare the number of (eg) red cards at
location X with the total number of red cards collected. Those that just
get chucked on the floor can be ignored - assuming that the probability
of being thrown on the floor is not dependent on the colour.

There once a a tramp with "enable"
Whose router used proprietary cables.
When he got ****ed on meths,
He thought "screw IOS",
"Let's apt-get install iptables"
Old May 16th 11, 01:54 PM
Junior Member

I was surprised to see that the usage references for Kensington Olympia refer to 2006. Since then the London Overground has been added linking Clapham to Watford and particularly North West London to South West London. All this hard work has added a greater audience for the trains running to and from and through Kensington Olympia. With the plans for redevelopment of Earls Court, I think we can anticipate a greater usage of Olympia and greater demand for train services. I also think that is people were sure the service wouldn't be cut arbitrarily - which it is - there would be an even larger local audience for it

The proposal news item from LU/TfL announcing their plans to remove the week day service from December 2011 provides the distances to and from other local stations to Olympia - so you will be able to estimate how long it is to walk.

As a regular user of the Kensignton Olympia District Line service I know that I will miss the week day service tremendously and particularly late at night, in the winter, when it is raining and when I am carry shopping or luggage. So pretty much all the time. Good luck with the walking, let me know which feels like the safest route.