Old March 13th 08, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kensington Olympia district line

I was on a train at Earl's Court earlier and the announcer was
advising anyone who wanted Olympia to walk as it would be quicker than
waiting for the next train.

Does this happen a lot? Why has the branch survived?

Jonn

Old March 13th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Mar, 18:42, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

I was on a train at Earl's Court earlier and the announcer was
advising anyone who wanted Olympia to walk as it would be quicker
than
waiting for the next train.

Does this happen a lot? Why has the branch survived?

No - and because a hell of a lot of people use it.

Only when there is a big exhibition on. Most of the time the trains are
virtually empty.

Peter Smyth

Not true, I was actually there counting passengers on Tuesday and I
have to say I was most surprised at the numbers using both tube and
Overground. Many passengers also enter and leave via the east, non
exhibition side.

MaxB

Old March 13th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve M wrote:

Not true. There are only a few quieter stations anywhere else on the
network, and certainly none as close to Central London as Olympia.
There are around 400 entries and 400 exits during the AM peak (0700
to 1000) which, if divided between the 12 or so trains which run
during this period, give around 30 per train, or 5 per carriage. Off
peak, the numbers are lower.

Sorry - but that doesn't square with my observations on many afternoons, on
non-exhibition days, when there is a constant stream of (mainly) business
passengers feeding into both LUL and Overground services. I'd estimate at
least double those figures from about 15:30 onwards. I can't speak for the
morning peak, as I've never used it that early, apart from on Saturdays,
when I've experienced the kind of numbers that you suggest.

Old March 13th 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message
I was on a train at Earl's Court earlier and the announcer was
advising anyone who wanted Olympia to walk as it would be quicker than
waiting for the next train.

Does this happen a lot? Why has the branch survived?

It was not impression that KenOly was so very close to Earls Court.

Old March 13th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Mar, 21:08, Steve M wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
wrote:
I was on a train at Earl's Court earlier and the announcer was
advising anyone who wanted Olympia to walk as it would be quicker than
waiting for the next train.

Does this happen a lot? Why has the branch survived?

No - and because a hell of a lot of people use it.

Not true. There are only a few quieter stations anywhere else on the
network, and certainly none as close to Central London as Olympia. There
are around 400 entries and 400 exits during the AM peak (0700 to 1000)
which, if divided between the 12 or so trains which run during this
period, give around 30 per train, or 5 per carriage. Off peak, the
numbers are lower. Roding Valley, Chigwell and Chesham are lower... any
others?

Cheers

Steve M

You are referring to the Overground - the OP was talking about the
tube, and of the trains I observed (but didn't count) I would reckon
up to 200 on several trains, maybe a 1000 in total between 0700 and
1000. Incidentally, we counted over 400 entries and exits just on the
southbound platform.

MaxB