Old April 8th 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kensington Olympia TO Oxford

According to Virgin Trains' website, there is a train tomorrow (9
April) at 1037hrs, arriving Oxford 1206hrs.

Trying to book a ticket for this service is proving very difficult.
The website offers me a Firstminutefare of £9, but that means I have
to get from Clapham Junction to Paddington, which is more difficult
that going to Olympia.

I even called Virgin and they apologised but there are no fares for
the route!
I CAN get an East Croydon - Oxford ticket for about £13, which is fine
but is there a walk-on fare from Olympia?

B.

Old April 8th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ups.com,
ONscotland typed:
According to Virgin Trains' website, there is a train tomorrow (9
April) at 1037hrs, arriving Oxford 1206hrs.

Trying to book a ticket for this service is proving very difficult.
The website offers me a Firstminutefare of £9, but that means I have
to get from Clapham Junction to Paddington, which is more difficult
that going to Olympia.

I even called Virgin and they apologised but there are no fares for
the route!
I CAN get an East Croydon - Oxford ticket for about £13, which is fine
but is there a walk-on fare from Olympia?

B.

Kensington Olympia to Oxford:
Standard Day Single £25.40
Cheap Day Single £20.30 (after 9:30 M-F)

--
Bob

Old April 9th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:58:03 GMT, Bob Wood wrote:

According to Virgin Trains' website, there is a train tomorrow (9
April) at 1037hrs, arriving Oxford 1206hrs.

Trying to book a ticket for this service is proving very difficult.
The website offers me a Firstminutefare of £9, but that means I have
to get from Clapham Junction to Paddington, which is more difficult
that going to Olympia.

I even called Virgin and they apologised but there are no fares for
the route!
I CAN get an East Croydon - Oxford ticket for about £13, which is fine
but is there a walk-on fare from Olympia?

Kensington Olympia to Oxford:
Standard Day Single £25.40
Cheap Day Single £20.30 (after 9:30 M-F)

Both of these fares are routed "+London", and are therefore not valid
on this train.

In fact the only ticket that appears to exist that would be valid on
this train is a Business Advance C Single at £13.60, a
quota-controlled ticket which must be booked in advance. There are no
walk-on fares at all. (I wonder what happens if you board without a
valid ticket - they are supposed to charge you the full walk-on
standard fare...)
Old April 9th 07, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:58:03 GMT, Bob Wood wrote:

According to Virgin Trains' website, there is a train tomorrow (9
April) at 1037hrs, arriving Oxford 1206hrs.

Trying to book a ticket for this service is proving very difficult.
The website offers me a Firstminutefare of £9, but that means I have
to get from Clapham Junction to Paddington, which is more difficult
that going to Olympia.

I even called Virgin and they apologised but there are no fares for
the route!
I CAN get an East Croydon - Oxford ticket for about £13, which is fine
but is there a walk-on fare from Olympia?

Kensington Olympia to Oxford:
Standard Day Single £25.40
Cheap Day Single £20.30 (after 9:30 M-F)

Both of these fares are routed "+London", and are therefore not valid
on this train.

Well, you can get a CDS Clapham Junction-OXF route NOT LONDON for only
GBP 19.70. Assuming that this is a direct service, that should be
permitted. If it's not, one would have to use the routeing guide.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old April 9th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
In fact the only ticket that appears to exist that would be valid on
this train is a Business Advance C Single at £13.60, a
quota-controlled ticket which must be booked in advance. There are no
walk-on fares at all. (I wonder what happens if you board without a
valid ticket - they are supposed to charge you the full walk-on
standard fare...)

I remember reading that KO was a "London Terminal", precisely for
trains taking this route. Is that not right?

(I'm presuming Oxford-London Terminals tickets exist)

Old April 10th 07, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Apr 2007 04:43:14 -0700, Mr Thant wrote:

In fact the only ticket that appears to exist that would be valid on
this train is a Business Advance C Single at £13.60, a
quota-controlled ticket which must be booked in advance. There are no
walk-on fares at all. (I wonder what happens if you board without a
valid ticket - they are supposed to charge you the full walk-on
standard fare...)

I remember reading that KO was a "London Terminal", precisely for
trains taking this route. Is that not right?

It's not a London Terminal. (Apparently it used to be, though.)
Old April 10th 07, 12:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 12:12:10 +0100, Michael Hoffman wrote:

I even called Virgin and they apologised but there are no fares for
the route!
I CAN get an East Croydon - Oxford ticket for about £13, which is fine
but is there a walk-on fare from Olympia?
Kensington Olympia to Oxford:
Standard Day Single £25.40
Cheap Day Single £20.30 (after 9:30 M-F)

Both of these fares are routed "+London", and are therefore not valid
on this train.

Well, you can get a CDS Clapham Junction-OXF route NOT LONDON for only
GBP 19.70. Assuming that this is a direct service, that should be
permitted. If it's not, one would have to use the routeing guide.

The train doesn't stop at Clapham Junction (it passes through
non-stop), so I don't think it can really be counted as a direct
service.

The Routeing Guide permits it though, so no problem.