Old March 26th 08, 06:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message
,
Mizter T writes

What is it, like an extra £20 a year on the London council tax.

It depends what council tax band your house is in. For my small terraced
house it's almost £29 a year ... for the next ten years.

Every Olympic bid trumpets the supposed benefits of hosting the games,
but these benefits are very rarely realised. Barcelona was one of the
few exceptions, although even they have seen less tourist growth than
comparable cities that didn't host the Olympics. But Barcelona is
certainly a much better looking city than it was before the games.

I think the London games stand a better chance of delivering benefits
than most, but I suspect it will represent a very poor return on the
huge amount of money invested.
--
Paul Terry

Old March 26th 08, 07:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 25 Mar, 23:27, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mizter T wrote:
I remain a supporter of the 2012 Games, I think it'll do a lot of good
in a great many different ways.

Great! You can pay my council tax bill, then.

What is it, like an extra £20 a year on the London council tax.

If that is not much, you can pay mine too!

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 26th 08, 07:30 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:25:57 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

So - learn German and move to Frankfurt.

You don't need to speak German to work in many of the banks here.

But it would help for going shopping after work...

Generally, you don't have to know the local language to buy
something, gestures of yes and no, indicating numbers by figures or
the amount of money would be enough.

And especially in a supermarket you don't talk to the shelves but
take what you want.

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old March 26th 08, 07:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 26, 12:11*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:

The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

Indeed, why do you think that TfL bought forward the lengthening of
the Jubilee line trains to seven cars by several years. It was because
the Waterloo / London Bridge - Docklands section was already getting
overcrowded. The Crossrail service from the Abbey Wood will take a
fair part of that burden.
Old March 26th 08, 08:50 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:25:57 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

So - learn German and move to Frankfurt.

You don't need to speak German to work in many of the banks here.

But it would help for going shopping after work...

Generally, you don't have to know the local language to buy
something, gestures of yes and no, indicating numbers by figures or
the amount of money would be enough.

And especially in a supermarket you don't talk to the shelves but
take what you want.

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

You don't have to take everything quite so literally...

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old March 26th 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:50:54 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Well, the salesperson might have migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka,
or India...

You don't have to take everything quite so literally...

Don't take it personal. I like to tell what I think about
interesting subjects.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
L.W.

Old March 26th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Mike Roebuck wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:24:50 +0000, Jane Sullivan
wrote:

In message , Neil Williams
writes
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:58:47 +0000, Jane Sullivan
wrote:

And if those employees lost their jobs, then that would take several
billion pounds out of the local economy of the south-east and, by
extension, Britain.
But why would they lose their jobs if Crossrail didn't happen?

They'd lose their jobs if the financial centre of Europe moved out of
London to Frankfurt.

So - learn German and move to Frankfurt.

Lower cost of + higher standard of living for the sake of making a
little linguistic effort.

You'd need to learn German and then learn Rhineland German.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management
Old March 26th 08, 10:13 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 Mar, 11:50, Graeme Wall wrote:
Generally, you don't have to know the local language to buy
something, gestures of yes and no, indicating numbers by figures or
the amount of money would be enough.

And especially in a supermarket you don't talk to the shelves but
take what you want.

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

You don't have to take everything quite so literally...

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

I'm in Istanbul rather than Frankfurt though

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 26th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message
"Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:50:54 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Well, the salesperson might have migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka,
or India...

If I put a smiley on the end, would it make it more obvious that I was
cracking a slight (very slight!) joke?

Perhaps I'd better leave out the line about not speaking Urdu.

Old March 26th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
"Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:50:54 UTC, schrieb Graeme Wall
auf uk.railway :

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Well, the salesperson might have migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka,
or India...

If I put a smiley on the end, would it make it more obvious that I was
cracking a slight (very slight!) joke?

You know what they say about the German sense of humour...

Robin