Old April 9th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default What is the Life of a Bank of Escalators?

In all the uproar about Bank (I've done a lot of the roaring up), one
question has been niggling away at the back of my mind all along.

That is that the escalators currently being worked on, which are
supposedly at the end of their life, can't have been in use for more
than 17 years (since the DLR extension to Bank opened).

So that means that in an 222 month period, they are out of action for
replacement for 18 months, or just over 8% of the existence of the
route.

So if the course of action while a bank of escalators is being worked
on is not to allow interchange at a station during that period ...

That would mean that an interchange station with 12½ banks of
escalators would be permanently "no interchange" and an interchange
station with 6 banks of escalators would be "no interchange" for
nearly 6 months of every year. An interchange with 4 banks of
escalators would be "no interchange" for 3 or 4 months of every year.

My calculations may be a bit wobbly, but these are roughly the
implications of the policy followed at Bank.

Old April 9th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 04:13:34 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

In all the uproar about Bank (I've done a lot of the roaring up), one
question has been niggling away at the back of my mind all along.

That is that the escalators currently being worked on, which are
supposedly at the end of their life, can't have been in use for more
than 17 years (since the DLR extension to Bank opened).

Well, there were escalator works at London Bridge within five years of
installation (escalators to Jubilee line).
Old April 9th 08, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Apr, 12:13, MIG wrote:
In all the uproar about Bank (I've done a lot of the roaring up), one
question has been niggling away at the back of my mind all along.

The Shepherd's Bush factsheet says the escalators being replaced were
installed in the 1920s:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...fact_sheet.pdf

It seems like modern ones aren't much cop, or at least the ones TfL/
LRT/whoever bought aren't.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old April 9th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Apr, 21:19, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 9 Apr, 12:13, MIG wrote:

In all the uproar about Bank (I've done a lot of the roaring up), one
question has been niggling away at the back of my mind all along.

The Shepherd's Bush factsheet says the escalators being replaced were
installed in the 1920s:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...fact_sheet.pdf

It seems like modern ones aren't much cop, or at least the ones TfL/
LRT/whoever bought aren't.

The escalators being replaced were installed as part of the DLR
extension to Bank. Perhaps the budget for said extension might have
been somewhat stretched, so the chosen escalators weren't that great?
Old April 12th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The escalators being replaced were installed as part of the DLR
extension to Bank. Perhaps the budget for said extension might have
been somewhat stretched, so the chosen escalators weren't that great?

Indeed, don't I remember that the original escalators at Tower Gateway were
of a specification really designed for retail use, and simply couldn't
handle the throngs of Londoners using them?

Best Wishes,
LEWIS