Old April 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Drivers protesting about a film

On 21 Apr, 18:19, Roland Perry wrote:
eg: Cop-shows on TV are staggeringly unrealistic when it comes to police
procedure; it's just not funny (if you worry about such things). On the
other hand, if you think scene-of-crimes officers double as a swat team,
or can read a cctv image of a car numberplate a mile away - keep
watching CSI-NewYork without complaining.

Have you seen The Wire? In terms of conveying the tedious grind,
rubbish equipment and dealing-with-demotivated-incompetents side of
police work, it seems to do quite well - at least, better than
anything else I've seen. I'm not sure how accurate it is in terms of
procedure though...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 21st 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
11:34:45 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, John B remarked:
Have you seen The Wire?

Never even heard of it. (I was a bit surprised that I'd only heard of
about half the BAFTA winners. Rather than going out, maybe I should stay
in more?)
Old April 21st 08, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, www.waspies.net wrote:

Boltar wrote:

?
Seems some people have nothing better to do with their lives:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3787873.ece

Perhaps soldiers or policemen or doctors or insert any profession you
can think of here should protest about any film which shows them in a
bad light or shows something distressing related to what they do.

As a driver who helps victims of train suicide I think it's very poor of the
company to take the 40 pieces of silver for this film to be made on TFL
premises

If this film really is about suicides on the tube, and someone trying to
engineer one, then yes, this is in incredibly poor taste. But here's
something from the article:

But Crook, best known for playing the character of Gareth in The Office,
denied the new comedy about deaths on the London Underground was
insensitive.

"When I read the premise I thought this might be a touchy subject," he
said. "But it soon became obvious that wasn't what the film is about."

Crook, who said he was "very proud" of the British-made movie, said he was
"disappointed" people had been "jumping to conclusions".

"They're imagining we've made a very distasteful, bad-taste film, which we
haven't," he said. "Hopefully those people who have objected will go and
see it and realise they have got the wrong end of the stick."

Which makes it sounds like the union's concerns are misplaced. Do we have
any opinions from anyone who's actually seen the film?

tom

--
In-jokes for out-casts
Old April 21st 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

If someone's slagging off his bread and butter I would expect him to say
something like that. On Jonathon Ross last week he was also rather
flippant about the whole thing too. In fact I'm almost certain that he did
not even want to do the interview but "had to" just to plug the film. He
looked very uncomfortable IMHO.

Film itself not out till Fri I believe - although in the News of the screws
yest it was given a 1 star rating and basically called a load a crap (its
2hrs too)

Old April 22nd 08, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 22, 12:35 am, "Frank Incense" wrote:
Film itself not out till Fri I believe - although in the News of the screws
yest it was given a 1 star rating and basically called a load a crap (its
2hrs too)

Its a low budget british film. Who would expect it to be any good?

Anyway , there have been plenty of possibly potentially bad taste
films made on the tube. The was one a few years back which I saw
(can't remember the name - tried to google but can't find it) where
some driver was killed by a monster living in the tunnels. Didn't
notice them protesting about that one.

Some people just love to protest, it probably makes them feel
important.

B2003

Old April 23rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message

Anyway , there have been plenty of possibly potentially bad taste
films made on the tube. The was one a few years back which I saw
(can't remember the name - tried to google but can't find it) where
some driver was killed by a monster living in the tunnels. Didn't
notice them protesting about that one.

That must have been "CREEP" circa 2004. I cant imagine the RMT allowing
drivers to drive trains through tunnels where there are monsters chomping up
their drivers!
FFS its not real it's a movie!

Old April 24th 08, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
That article has "Keith Norman, general secretary of Aslef (sic) [I
believe it ought to be ASLEF standing for Associated Society of
Locomotive Engineers and Firemen]"

I always thought it was ASLEF&C, when did they drop the last bit from
their name?
--
Clive
Old April 24th 08, 01:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:39:58 +0100, Clive
wrote:

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
That article has "Keith Norman, general secretary of Aslef (sic) [I
believe it ought to be ASLEF standing for Associated Society of
Locomotive Engineers and Firemen]"

I always thought it was ASLEF&C, when did they drop the last bit from
their name?

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/...tory_of_aslef/
gives no mention of any previous name that I can see.

What's the C stand for?
Old April 24th 08, 01:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes
wrote:

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
That article has "Keith Norman, general secretary of Aslef (sic) [I
believe it ought to be ASLEF standing for Associated Society of
Locomotive Engineers and Firemen]"

I always thought it was ASLEF&C, when did they drop the last bit from
their name?

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/...tory_of_aslef/
gives no mention of any previous name that I can see.

What's the C stand for?

When I worked on the footplate in the 60s and 70s It was known as the
"Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers, Firemen & Cleaners. Hence
the name.
--
Clive
Old April 24th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 23, 7:24 pm, "Sargeant Rutter" wrote:
That must have been "CREEP" circa 2004. I cant imagine the RMT allowing

Yeah , that was the one,

B2003