Old April 23rd 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default broken bus journey

I was wondering if anyone knows what the official (or unofficial)
position is on breaking a bus journey?
I quite often get on a 38 at the start of it's route, jump off in
islington to go to the bank (5-10 minutes, I usually get the next 38)
and continue my journey to wherever, usually picadilly. ought I be
paying twice?

Mark.

Old April 23rd 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:25:11 +0100, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows what the official (or unofficial)
position is on breaking a bus journey?
I quite often get on a 38 at the start of it's route, jump off in
islington to go to the bank (5-10 minutes, I usually get the next 38)
and continue my journey to wherever, usually picadilly. ought I be
paying twice?

Yes you should pay twice if using cash or PAYG. There are no "break of
journey" facilities for London's buses nor are there are through single
tickets valid bus to bus. Obviously you aren't really paying twice if
using a Travelcard and if on PAYG you are simply contributing to meeting
the daily cap so perhaps not a great hardship.

--
Paul C

Old April 23rd 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Apr, 17:25, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows what the official (or unofficial)
position is on breaking a bus journey?
I quite often get on a 38 at the start of it's route, jump off in
islington to go to the bank (5-10 minutes, I usually get the next 38)
and continue my journey to wherever, usually picadilly. ought I be
paying twice?

Yes, and the following are the legal ways of boarding a bus:
1) Board at the front with a saver, driver takes half the saver
2) Board at the front and touch your oyster in, money is deducted
(unless it's a travelcard/capped etc)
3) Board a murderbus at the back and touch your oyster in, money is
deducted
4) Board at the front and show a paper travelcard
5) Board at the back with a valid paper or oyster travelcard and dont
touch in.
6) Outside central london you can board at the front and pay cash

IF you PAYG and dont touch in, you are a fare dodger and are
committing a crime.

The driver wont let you on until you pay, aside from on murderbusses,
where you must touch in unless you have a travelcard.

Breaking a journey on a bus has never been allowed.
Old April 23rd 08, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:16:10 -0700 (PDT), Paul Weaver wrote:

Yes, and the following are the legal ways of boarding a bus:
1) Board at the front with a saver, driver takes half the saver
2) Board at the front and touch your oyster in, money is deducted
(unless it's a travelcard/capped etc)
3) Board a murderbus at the back and touch your oyster in, money is
deducted
4) Board at the front and show a paper travelcard
5) Board at the back with a valid paper or oyster travelcard and dont
touch in.
6) Outside central london you can board at the front and pay cash

From YOUR guide to fares and tickets:

Cash fares are not accepted on buses in the Pay Before You Board area in
central London, on bendy buses or on route W7.

--
jhk
Old April 23rd 08, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

On a bendybus is there any way for a ticket inspector to tell whether
you touched in on that bus, or the previous bus (assuming they are both
on the same route)?

Peter Smyth

Old April 23rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

From what I've seen ticket inspectors can see only bus number and time
when they check your oyster, and I doubt a 5 minute break would be
noticed, but I was curious if there was an allowance for such with the
logic that I'm boarding a bus and paying for an hours journey so have
paid from point 'a' to point 'b', it seems the powers that be don't
agree with that.
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk
Old April 23rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

From what I've seen ticket inspectors can see only bus number and time
when they check your oyster, and I doubt a 5 minute break would be
noticed, but I was curious if there was an allowance for such with the
logic that I'm boarding a bus and paying for an hours journey so have
paid from point 'a' to point 'b', it seems the powers that be don't
agree with that.

The answer seems to be "that's just the way it is". It is an area
where public transport compares very badly with private transport.

For example, you don't pay twice the insurance or use twice the petrol
if you stop at a shop during a car journey, so forward-thinking public
transport providers should be trying to make sure that they can
provide an equivalent "stop-at-a-shop" facility in order to compete.

It's also inconsistent within public transport, where you pay per
vehicle on buses, but by start and end point on LU.

If I go home before 1900, it's cheaper on two buses (£1.80) than on a
combination of two or three Underground lines (£2.00).

If I go home after 1900, it's cheaper on two or three Undground lines
(£1.50) than on two buses (£1.80), just because of paying per vehicle
instead of per journey.

I know that it's just the way it is, but it really could be better and
I wish some alternatives could be seriously considered.
Old April 23rd 08, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

From what I've seen ticket inspectors can see only bus number and time
[...]

It would surely be dead easy to set the system whereby if you board a
bus within, say, an hour of boarding another on the same route in the
same direction you are not charged again.

Some days I only do the same bus route twice with a couple of stops so
I could pay £3.60 to go to Victoria and back instead of £1.80 to cover
the same distance in more or less the same time on the same bus route.
not enough to be getting into travel card price capping but it adds
up.
Old April 23rd 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Apr, 20:34, MIG wrote:
I know that it's just the way it is, but it really could be better and
I wish some alternatives could be seriously considered.

Maybe they could have a scheme so that if you make, say, three and a
bit journeys in one day, the rest are free?

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old April 23rd 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 23, 8:54*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 23 Apr, 20:34, MIG wrote:

I know that it's just the way it is, but it really could be better and
I wish some alternatives could be seriously considered.

Maybe they could have a scheme so that if you make, say, three and a
bit journeys in one day, the rest are free?

That's a bit different, because it's bulk-buying. It doesn't really
address the issue of charging people double if they go to a shop (etc)
during a bus journey but not during a car journey (I doubt if a taxi
driver would try on such a thing if you stopped on the way).

In general, I think it makes sense to look at the perceived advantages
of private car travel and consider whether the obstacles to providing
equivalent facilities in public transport really are insurmountable,
or are simply allowed to remain, just because that's the way it's
always been.

Some reasons people give for travelling by car are

1) I want to be able to travel whenever I like.

2) I want to visit someone/do something on the way.

3) I want to come back a different way.

4) It costs the same by car with four passengers, but four times as
much on public transport.

1) is ruled out for a lot of journeys these days, with walk-on fares
totally out of any realistic price range. 4) could be very
problematic, so not an obvious one to start on. I think 2) and 3)
need better options though (I know there are some, but there could be
more).