Old May 21st 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus hits tree

In message
, at
01:19:10 on Wed, 21 May 2008, Boltar remarked:
You can see the tree clearly in picture 13, as well as the picture 18 I
mentioned before. There are many similar trees at intervals all along
the street. Several of the pictures, like number 11, show how trees
dominate the skyline along there.

According to lots of witnesses the tree apparently fell down in front
of the bus while it was driving along.

A tree didn't fall down - they are very big. What must have happened is
a branch breaking off. A broken off branch (about three inches in
diameter) can be clearly seen in the road. Most of the pictures show it
near the front offside of the bus, but by the time I arrived it had been
moved to behind the bus.

Old May 21st 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:52:11 on Wed, 21 May 2008, Boltar remarked:
Trees don't fall in good weather. I suspect the branch got caught between
the bus and the tree-protection rail and the branch/tree was pulled over

Not the whole tree, just a branch.

by the bus. This may lead to all such rails being replaced by a solid
protruberence.

If that had happened the bus would have already partially passed
underneath when it started pulling the branch down which then surely
would have fallen onto the roof , not clobbered the front?

One bus (or other high vehicle) could have dislodged it, and a bus
behind hit it. This is pure speculation, trying to fit the visible
evidence to the laws of physics.
Old May 21st 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
22:17:01 on Tue, 20 May 2008, Richard J.
remarked:
Picture 18 here is a good likeness:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...316580,00.html

Trees are just coming into leaf at the moment, and it's possible a
branch was weighed down sufficiently to become a hazard. Two
medium-sized branches seem to have been broken off.

It's notable that the damage to the bus looks worse at destination
blind level or just above than at the corner of the roof. Did you
manage to see the tree itself, which hasn't featured in any of the
photos I've seen? If so, did it appear to be overhanging the
carriageway, especially where the branches were torn off?

You can see the tree clearly in picture 13, as well as the picture 18
I mentioned before. There are many similar trees at intervals all
along the street.

I think the tree in pictures 13 and 18 is the one beyond the tree that the
bus hit. The one in the photo is right next to the bus, whereas reports of
the driver struggling to control the vehicle and of the delay in noticing
the pedestrian under the tree suggest that the bus ran on for some distance
before stopping.
--
Richard J.

Old May 21st 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:13:43
on Wed, 21 May 2008, Richard J. remarked:
[...]

There are two branches 'down' I believe. Look at picture 20 - one behind
the bus and one in front. I agree they many have come from a tree behind
the bus, but all the trees are very similar, with branched sticking
fundamentally "upwards", rather than "down or sideways".
Old May 21st 08, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
On May 21, 6:01 am, Roland Perry wrote:
You can see the tree clearly in picture 13, as well as the picture 18 I
mentioned before. There are many similar trees at intervals all along
the street. Several of the pictures, like number 11, show how trees
dominate the skyline along there.

According to lots of witnesses the tree apparently fell down in front
of the bus while it was driving along. Monumental bad luck.

B2003

Given how anal councils are about the safety of hanging baskets can we now
expect TfL to cut down every tree in London on the side of a road. I am not
aware of a hanging basket killing anybody, on the other hand...

Kevin

Old May 21st 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

I suspect the branch got caught between the bus and the tree-protection
rail and the branch/tree was pulled over by the bus.

I saw a picture in one of the free papers today (probably Metro) that
clearly shows part of a branch wedged in exactly that position, stuck
between the nearside protection rail and the body of the bus. It looked
very much like the other half of the branch that was pictured on the
roadway.

--
Paul Terry