Old May 31st 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Over 60's bus pass validity in London

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

Old May 31st 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

--
Paul Terry
Old May 31st 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 31, 4:20 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

--
Paul Terry

Another question on the same subject.
My Aunt has a over 60's bus pass issued in Sussex, does it just cover
buses in London or can it be used like the TFL Freedom Pass?

Francis
Old May 31st 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

francis wrote:
On May 31, 4:20 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

--
Paul Terry

Another question on the same subject.
My Aunt has a over 60's bus pass issued in Sussex, does it just cover
buses in London or can it be used like the TFL Freedom Pass?

Buses only, as explained in the TfL web page referenced above.
--
Richard J.

Old May 31st 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 May, 16:20, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

Though do take note of this (which is copied from the TfL page linked
to below):

"If you live outside London and have been issued with a temporary
National Concessionary bus pass it will be valid until 30th September
2008 only. These passes are on card and you must use it with your
existing concessionary pass at all times."

Those in possession of the valid pass(es) are then able to make use of
any TfL London Bus service regardless of zones within Greater London
and beyond.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

Most interesting - I see from that page that TfL is actually being
rather generous to non-London Concessionary Pass holders. The
requirement is for the new National Pass to be accepted for travel
from 0930 until 2300 on weekdays (any time on weekends and public
holidays), but in London the National Pass for over 60's will be
accepted from 0900 until 0430 on weekdays whilst the the National Pass
for Disabled People will be accepted at any time. These are in fact
the same times that the London resident's Freedom Pass is valid.

There were indeed complaints about the 11pm cutoff (at least in places
that have a bus service post 11pm) with talk that it felt like a
curfew for older people - in London at least this will not apply, so
over 60's can happily come back from the Theatre or pub or whatever
safe in the knowledge that they won't have to pay up if travelling on
the bus after 11pm.
Old June 1st 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:20:51 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

Thanks, much appreciated!

Old June 2nd 08, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:20:51 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Mike
writes

Is an English over 60's bus pass valid on London buses in zones 1,2
and 3?

Only if it is the new style pass.

I can't find anything relevant on tfl.gov.uk !

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

What this does not seem to cover is whether the pass works as an
Oyster card, so should be touched in, or should just be waved at the
driver. The latter gas been accepeted so far!

--
Peter Lawrence
Old June 2nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Jun, 20:39, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx

What this does not seem to cover is whether the pass works as an
Oyster card, so should be touched in, or should just be waved at the
driver. The latter gas been accepeted so far!

Yes it does, towards the bottom of the page there's this paragraph:

quote
If you live outside London and have been issued with a National
Concessionary bus pass on a smartcard, unfortunately the encoding
system they use is not compatible with Oyster. When being used for
free travel on buses in London, they will need to be visually
inspected by the driver.
/quote

In basic technical terms the MiFare smartcard readers used by Oyster
in London aren't yet compatible with the ITSO smartcard standard.

The page also explain to London Freedom Pass holders that they'll need
to show their card to drivers outside London even where such buses are
fitted with smartcard readers, as said readers are ITSO and the
Freedom Passes currently the Oyster/MiFare standard. I understand when
Freedom Passes are next up for renewal in 2010 they will be reissued
with dual Oyster/MiFare and ITSO capabilities.
Old June 6th 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/7327.aspx says:

"If you live outside London and have been issued with a National
Concessionary bus pass on a smartcard, unfortunately the encoding
system they use is not compatible with Oyster. When being used for
free travel on buses in London, they will need to be visually
inspected by the driver."

Not all of London's bus drivers appear to have been properly trained
in how this works - my mother has been asked to "touch in" on a bus,
luckily the driver wasn't that bothered when she didn't, especially as
there was a PAYG Oyster lurking behind it in the plastic wallet.

Also, I wonder how many "beyond the pale" passes are correctly logged
(and paid for). At least once I've seen the same message on the
ticket machine - when such a feat is even possible - as appears for a
paper travelcard ("TfL pass" or similar). I've heard that the correct
button to press is "Other passes", one that previously didn't do
anything. I wonder if the drivers have been told?

That page could also usefully note that no ticket is issued, unlike in
other parts of the country.

Richard.