Old July 17th 08, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG from Fenchurch Street

At one point yesterday I needed to get from Tower Hill to Shadwell.

With Tower Gateway closed and Bank/Monument restricted, I wondered if I
could take c2c from Fenchurch Street and change at Limehouse.

"On the spot" I wasn't sure if Oyster PAYG was valid out of Fenchurch
Street. (I now know it is but had no way of finding out then, short of
asking at the Fenchurch Street barrier.

The chap who was there plainly didn't understand the question and seemed
to to have heard of PAYG. He did say "yes" but I had the distinct
impression that he was only thinking in terms of Travelcards so in the
end I decided not to "risk" getting a high charge, or even losing my
daily cap.

On this matter at least, NR staff seem *much* less aware than their LU
counterparts.

As I said at the meeting on Tuesday evening, local NR journey within
Great London should just "belong" to TfL and Oyster should be valid now,
now NOW!

To the barricades, comrades....... :-))

No and I don't know why I didn't hop on a 15 bus and walk from
Commercial Road, either.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old July 17th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ian Jelf
writes
No and I don't know why I didn't hop on a 15 bus and walk from
Commercial Road, either.......

Or indeed catch the 100, a route I seem to encounter a lot in many
different places but have never ridden on one!

Old July 17th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

Or indeed catch the 100, a route I seem to encounter a lot in many
different places but have never ridden on one!

What is the 100 now? I remember some years ago it was a tourist route
using the preserved Tilling ST, which is now presumably confined to
barracks.

Peter Beale
Old July 17th 08, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Beale
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

Or indeed catch the 100, a route I seem to encounter a lot in many
different places but have never ridden on one!

What is the 100 now? I remember some years ago it was a tourist route
using the preserved Tilling ST, which is now presumably confined to
barracks.

The 100 run from the Elephant to Shadwell via, well, everywhere!

I think it might have been introduced when the Tobacco Dock shopping
development first opened, c1990. That subsequently closed and I
suspect the route was either altered slightly to run to Shadwell or
(perhaps) not altered at all but the destination simply rebranded.

Someone will be along shortly to fill us in, no doubt!

(There was a tourist route with a preserved bus in 1980 when the LT
Museum first opened, was that the 100? I remember seeing that in
Trafalgar Square on my first ever visit to London Easter 1980.)

Old July 17th 08, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
At one point yesterday I needed to get from Tower Hill to Shadwell.

With Tower Gateway closed and Bank/Monument restricted, I wondered if I
could take c2c from Fenchurch Street and change at Limehouse.

"On the spot" I wasn't sure if Oyster PAYG was valid out of Fenchurch
Street. (I now know it is but had no way of finding out then, short of
asking at the Fenchurch Street barrier.

The chap who was there plainly didn't understand the question and seemed
to to have heard of PAYG. He did say "yes" but I had the distinct
impression that he was only thinking in terms of Travelcards so in the end
I decided not to "risk" getting a high charge, or even losing my daily
cap.

It's not just NR staff. Back in January, IIRC, when I was trying to sort out
an unresolved journey involving Liverpool St suburban, a member of LU staff
at Waterloo (Jubilee)insisted that PAYG was not yet available anywhere at
all on NR. Despite the line in question having been valid for PAYG for quite
a while at that time.

Paul S

Old July 17th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 17, 12:54*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Error 57 is what you'll get if you try a PAYG Oystercard on an
gateline with Oyster readers that doesn't accept PAYG.
Old July 17th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Dickinson wrote:
On Jul 17, 12:54 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

It's not just NR staff. Back in January, IIRC, when I was trying to
sort out an unresolved journey involving Liverpool St suburban, a
member of LU staff at Waterloo (Jubilee)insisted that PAYG was not
yet available anywhere at all on NR. Despite the line in question
having been valid for PAYG for quite a while at that time.

Paul S

Error 57 is what you'll get if you try a PAYG Oystercard on an
gateline with Oyster readers that doesn't accept PAYG.

Not relevant in this case I'm afraid - this was an unresolved [1] PAYG on a
NR PAYG route, that had been PAYG for ages, ie Stratford - Liverpool St, as
listed in the 2006 instructions, with my original Oyster card.

[1] due to taking too long for the overall journey.

Paul S

Old July 17th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

my first ever visit to London Easter 1980

Gosh! What you missed by being such a late-comer. Trolleybuses and all
those 1950s pea-soupers for a start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel