Old November 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default Freedom Passes at Fenchurch Street from 9am

The barriers to the platforms at Fenchurch Street would not open for a
Freedom Pass at 9:25am today. The guy on the gateline said they are not
valid there until 9:30am. As far as I can tell from this map the line from
Fenchurch Street is available from 9am (because of the interavailability
with the District Line).
http://www.freedompass.org/documents...assMap2006.pdf Am I reading
this right?

Old November 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:09:44 -0000, "tkd" wrote:

The barriers to the platforms at Fenchurch Street would not open for a
Freedom Pass at 9:25am today. The guy on the gateline said they are not
valid there until 9:30am. As far as I can tell from this map the line from
Fenchurch Street is available from 9am (because of the interavailability
with the District Line).
http://www.freedompass.org/documents...assMap2006.pdf Am I reading
this right?

You most certainly are. C2C have clearly not configured their system or
trained their staff correctly based on your experience. IIWY I'd drop
them a short E Mail of "complaint" explaining your experience and asking
what they are going to do to rectify matters.

--
Paul C

Old December 1st 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

The barriers to the platforms at Fenchurch Street would not open for a
Freedom Pass at 9:25am today. The guy on the gateline said they are not
valid there until 9:30am. As far as I can tell from this map the line from
Fenchurch Street is available from 9am (because of the interavailability
with the District Line).
http://www.freedompass.org/documents...assMap2006.pdf Am I reading
this right?

You most certainly are. C2C have clearly not configured their system or
trained their staff correctly based on your experience. IIWY I'd drop
them a short E Mail of "complaint" explaining your experience and asking
what they are going to do to rectify matters.

Thanks for that. I wrote a letter to c2c, Network Rail (as they manage that
station) and London Councils (formerly ALG, as they administer the Freedom
Pass scheme).

I got a full and prompt letter of apology from c2c with a commitment to
train staff and get the barriers working properly. London Councils
telephoned yesterday to say they had written to Network Rail but had not got
a reply. I have not yet received a reply to my letter to Network Rail
either.

Let's hope its not up to Network Rail to sort out the barriers.

Old December 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:44:26 -0000, "tkd" wrote:

[...]

Good - the key player is C2C.

Let's hope its not up to Network Rail to sort out the barriers.

I can't believe that they would be down to Network Rail. AIUI all ticket
gates (or the lease based contracts for them) are now considered to be
"franchise assets" and thus the responsibility of the TOC. It is
mandatory for a successor TOC to take on the responsibility for these in
the same way as things like train leasing contracts.

The other issue is that C2C put line wide gating as a franchise
commitment so while Network Rail will have had to approve their
installation they will not be in charge of them at Fenchurch St.

--
Paul C

Old December 1st 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

So if there's that sort of complication, why did management
responsibility pass from c2c to Network Rail in 2002? (Whereas
Marylebone, for example, is still managed by Chiltern.)
--
Richard J.

Old December 2nd 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

[...]

Probably because Fenchurch Street has around 17 million passengers a year
and Marylebone has around 7.

Old December 2nd 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:59:59 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

So if there's that sort of complication, why did management
responsibility pass from c2c to Network Rail in 2002? (Whereas
Marylebone, for example, is still managed by Chiltern.)

I have no idea. I wasn't even aware there had been a transfer.
--
Paul C

Old December 2nd 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

So if there's that sort of complication, why did management
responsibility pass from c2c to Network Rail in 2002? (Whereas
Marylebone, for example, is still managed by Chiltern.)

I have no idea. I wasn't even aware there had been a transfer.

It's probably just to confuse people. Fenchurch Street is used by just
one operator (ever and without exception). However the current
arrangement means that there can be lots of buck-passing and C2C can
maintain their reasonable (but not excellent or pro-active) job without
the added hassles of having to deal with service users complaints
regarding the station.

Given that C2C maintain lots of other large stations on the line
(Barking, which has more platforms; Southend Central etc) it seems to be
rather short-sighted and without particular justification. Although I
note that Network Rail have managed to recently improve the usage of the
shop units at Fenchurch Street (therefore improving the stations
facilities and making some money simultaneously).

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old December 2nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tkd wrote:
Probably because Fenchurch Street has around 17 million passengers a year
and Marylebone has around 7.

I don't see how that could make the slightest difference. c2c serves a
completely different market than Chiltern; I am not surprised that the
former has more passengers than the latter.

Old December 5th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Probably because Fenchurch Street has around 17 million passengers a year
and Marylebone has around 7.

I don't see how that could make the slightest difference. c2c serves a
completely different market than Chiltern; I am not surprised that the
former has more passengers than the latter.

More passengers means more advertising revenue and retail use. Network Rail
have more experience of both for busy stations.