Old July 25th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can I punch a hole in my Oyster Card?

Greetings.

I have a retractable keychain I wear on my belt. I find it useful to have
my Oyster Card on this as I don't have to fumble for it in my pockets
whenever I board a bus or enter a Tube station; the card is always hanging
from my hip, within easy reach of the Card readers.

Until now I've been putting my Oyster Card in the official plastic wallet
and punching a hole through that to put it on the keyring. However, after
a while the soft plastic cracks or rips. I figure a more durable solution
would be to punch through the Oyster Card itself, though I'm afraid that
doing so in the wrong place would render it useless.

Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] Space is limited

Old July 25th 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:25:46 +0100, Tristan Miller
wrote:

Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

Last time I did that to a plastic card (my university door swipe card)
it very quickly disintegrated. Thin plastic cards aren't really
designed for it. Better to stick it in your wallet.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 25th 08, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Greetings.

I have a retractable keychain I wear on my belt. I find it useful to have
my Oyster Card on this as I don't have to fumble for it in my pockets
whenever I board a bus or enter a Tube station; the card is always hanging
from my hip, within easy reach of the Card readers.

Until now I've been putting my Oyster Card in the official plastic wallet
and punching a hole through that to put it on the keyring. However, after
a while the soft plastic cracks or rips. I figure a more durable solution
would be to punch through the Oyster Card itself, though I'm afraid that
doing so in the wrong place would render it useless.

Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

I would not advise it. You may damage the aerial or cause the
delaminate. Also if anything went wrong (not caused by the hole) you
might have difficulty sustaining a counter argument.

Buy a leather wallet or similar that may also have some form of clip or
hole or else get it professionally holed and riveted - a shoe repairers
might be able to do it for you. There are loads of shops or market
stalls that will flog you a cheapish "travelcard" wallet that will
secure your Oystercard.
--
Paul C

Old July 25th 08, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Buy (and wear) a Tilley Hat. They have a pouch in the crown which is the
right size for an Oyster card. When you approach a reader simply take your
hat off and place it on the reader. It's a very quick and simple process.

Old July 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jul, 21:27, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
[...]

* _
*_V.-o *Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] * *Space is limited
/ |`-' *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * *In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\ * *http://www.nothingisreal.com/* *To finish what you

Buy (and wear) a Tilley Hat. * They have a pouch in the crown which is the
right size for an Oyster card. * When you approach a reader simply take your
hat off and place it on the reader. * It's a very quick and simple process.- Hide quoted text -

Or get a leather luggage tag & keep yourcardin that - they areusually
pre-punched.

Old July 25th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristan Miller wrote:

Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

I'd strongly advise not to, both for the reasons mentioned in this
thread and because you'd be in breach of TfL's Conditions of Carriage by
doing so, specifically Condition 5.1:

All photocards and Oyster photocards remain our property and must not be
intentionally damaged, altered or tampered with in any way. We may
withdraw or cancel your photocard or Oyster photocard at any time. We
will only do this for a good reason and if we do, we will give you a
receipt. If a photocard is needed, you can only use your ticket or
Oyster card when you have your photocard with you. This also applies to
Oyster photocards when used with a printed ticket.

The Conditions of Carriage can be found at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx

The equivalent in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage is Condition 23:

If a ticket has been damaged or has been tampered with or altered in any
way, it is not valid for travel. However, if you return it to the Train
Company or travel agent which sold it to you, they will arrange for a
replacement ticket to be issued unless it has reason to suspect that the
ticket has, or will be, used for fraudulent or improper purposes. You
may have to pay a reasonable administrative charge (not exceeding £10)
for the replacement.

And those can be found at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc/

HTH,

Barry
Old July 25th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jul, 18:25, Tristan Miller wrote:
Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? *Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

If you hold it up to a bright enough light* you can see the chip and
the antenna. On mine at least, the chip is in the top right corner and
the antenna runs round all sides of the card about a quarter of an
inch from the edge, blocking off all your prime hole punching space.
You'd have to put the hole about half an inch from either of the three
non-chip corners, but you'd be running the risk of ripping the antenna
if the hole tears, as it inevitaby will.

(* the key is having the room dark enough so you can only see light
that's coming though the card. A video projector or a spotlight will
do)

See also:
http://www.skeptobot.com/2008/05/tim...ng-oyster.html

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old July 26th 08, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tristan Miller wrote:

Does anyone know if/where it is safe to punch a hole through an Oyster
Card? Ideally I'd like to punch the hole near one of the corners, or near
one of the short edges.

Piercings on your Oyster card - the next step in personal adornment ...

Will you be getting it tattooed as well, Tris ? :-)

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 6th June 2008)
Old July 26th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

[...]

You can buy a card holder that you can wear around your neck.

Old July 26th 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:06:32 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Or, possibly better, on a belt-mounted retractable reel.