Old September 12th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Good evening ladies and gentlemen

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a tad Americanised?

Can't comment as I'll get fired if I say the wrong thing. Especially as
I met the big boss for the first time this week.

I've been told he's pretty down to earth actually. Spends lots of time
travelling around, especially in the evening.

Do you consider yourself customers or passengers?

As I don't pay anything I can't be a customer.

As the pass is part of your employment entitlement and taxable, you do, just
indirectly. Same as freedom pass holders ;-)

Not only would I like to know, but I'm sure
would too!

You write in first!

Already emailed the QSIT team, repeatedly...

Old September 12th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote the following in:

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

I would say that using somethig like "Good
Morning/Afternoon/Evening" or somesuch is a useful way of
attracting people's attention so that by the time you get to
deliver the message proper they might be listening to what your
saying.

That's what the bing-bong' was designed to do (amongst other
things).

And if something has to be said, I'd prefer "Attention please" to "Good
morning".

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.
Old September 12th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
Surprised this already hasn't come up.

The end of last week, we were all told that we had to precede P.A.

messages
with "Good (morning / afternoon / evening) ladies and gentlemen". By

Monday
it was reduced to "Ladies and gentlemen".

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a tad Americanised?

Personally, I hate it. It is patronising and pompous. Apart from which, what
about all of the minors who travel by public transport?

Equally "Good morning, passengers/customers" sounds like a greeting from
"Hi-de-Hi".

How about something like "Good morning/afternoon/evening. The following
train running information is correct as at nn:00 hours. Train services are
currently running as follows. There are delays on the Bakerloo line due to a
person under a train at Waterloo." etc etc.?

That kind of message avoids gender/age etc confusion. It provides a
time-stamp for passengers and the preamble is sufficient to draw the
attention of travellers on the platforms prior to the 'meat' of the message.

Old September 12th 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

The end of last week, we were all told that we had to precede P.A.

messages
with "Good (morning / afternoon / evening) ladies and gentlemen". By

Monday
it was reduced to "Ladies and gentlemen".

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a tad Americanised?

Personally, I hate it. It is patronising and pompous. Apart from which,

what
about all of the minors who travel by public transport?

Equally "Good morning, passengers/customers" sounds like a greeting from
"Hi-de-Hi".

There was discussion locally about adding "boys and girls", as was "in the
red corner" and renaming every station "Vietnam" ;-)

How about something like "Good morning/afternoon/evening. The following
train running information is correct as at nn:00 hours. Train services are
currently running as follows. There are delays on the Bakerloo line due to

person under a train at Waterloo." etc etc.?

Trouble is, as service information changes regularly, I'm now spending the
majority of my time telling people there's no service back from Timbuktu
when it' almost always certain that the service will be restored before they
even reach there, let alone decide to come back, that I don't have time to
deal with the 'normal' cancellations which ends with 15-20 minute gaps on
the Circle Line.

Old September 13th 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I've been using Good Afternoon etc since I passed out, it gets the customers
attention and I feel makes them feel a bit more valued, and it gives me the
moral high ground when passing on bad news.

I also find that saying things twice tends to get it through most
"Customers" thick skulls, they don't often listen the first time.

Those who don't like it maybe these would be better
"Listen to ME, Listen to ME"
or "OIIIIIIIII"
or "Whatsuppppp"

BTS

Old September 13th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Robin Mayes
writes
Do you consider yourself customers or passengers?

We are not cattle. We are not freight. We are not passengers. London
Underground provides a service (allegedly) which us customers pay for.
(Well most of us pay)
I think if LU saw us as customers rather passengers maybe their staff
would treat us as customers rather than an hindrance.
--
CJG
Old September 13th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG wrote the following in:

In message , Robin
Mayes writes
Do you consider yourself customers or passengers?

We are not cattle.

No one was saying that.

We are not freight.

No one was saying that.

We are not passengers.

Err, yes we are. Dictionary definition of passenger:

A person who travels in a conveyance, such as a car or train, without
participating in its operation.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 14th 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Robin May
writes
Err, yes we are. Dictionary definition of passenger:

A person who travels in a conveyance, such as a car or train, without
participating in its operation.

And its this view point of "customers" that make station assistants tut
loudly when you ask them a question.
"Why can't the passengers just get their train without bothering me"
--
CJG
Old September 14th 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG" wrote in message
In message , Robin May
writes
Err, yes we are. Dictionary definition of passenger:

A person who travels in a conveyance, such as a car or train, without
participating in its operation.

And its this view point of "customers" that make station assistants tut
loudly when you ask them a question.
"Why can't the passengers just get their train without bothering me"

Perhaps it's the obnoxious manner of the questioner that they're tutting
about rather than the simple fact of being asked a question?

Old September 14th 03, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Cast_Iron
writes
Perhaps it's the obnoxious manner of the questioner that they're
tutting about rather than the simple fact of being asked a question?

Well sadly being asked the same question over and over again even though
the answer is quite obvious to anyone with half a brain cell in a rude
manner and getting no thanks for your answer is part of customer service
and Im sure anyone who works in any kind of customer role (from Tesco
cashiers to the mighty heights of Station Assistant) will tell you they
have to put up with rude arrgorant people.
If you don't like dealing with people. Don't do the job.
--
CJG