Old August 8th 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston northern line

"John B" wrote in message
On Aug 8, 9:37 am, Boltar wrote:
Following the modernisation of the station there is a bank of display
panels in the ticket hall before you reach the ticket gates. This
shows the next 3 departures / waiting times for each platform. You
should be able to see which platform will be served first by an
Edgware branch train.

Good luck trying to get down to the platform in time if the next train
is 1 min away

Do-able if it's Charing X branch, not so much if it's City...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Have done City to Charing X in 2 mins

Old August 8th 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

[train departures]

IMHO Camden Town is somewhere that needs a Trackernet display for the
public to see.

the track diagram or the list of departures from platforms?

Not sure the track diagram would work simply because it shows train
numbers and they typically give no clue as to which branch is served
south of Camden. Northbound it doesn't matter as platforms are branch
specific.

But aren't they like ours - different colours for the different
destinations?
Old August 10th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Aug, 23:05, "Nicola Redwood" nicolaexternal-
wrote:
Following the modernisation of the station there is a bank of display
panels in the ticket hall before you reach the ticket gates. This
shows the next 3 departures / waiting times for each platform. You
should be able to see which platform will be served first by an
Edgware branch train.

Good luck trying to get down to the platform in time if the next train
is 1 min away

Do-able if it's Charing X branch, not so much if it's City...

Have done City to Charing X in 2 mins

Good work. Did northbound City to platform 8 in 2 minutes 30 today -
irritatingly missed Overground train by 45 secs anyway, but was still
quite pleased by my Eustonly navigation skills...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old August 10th 08, 01:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

So theres no way if your transferring from the Victoria to the
Northern . Is there a map of the LU portion of Euston ?
Old August 10th 08, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 10, 2:16*am, "
wrote:
So theres no way if your transferring from the Victoria to the
Northern . Is there a map of the LU portion of Euston ?

If you're doing a cross-platform interchange, it's probably worth just
sticking with the City branch unless you can see there's such a long
gap that it's worth trekking over to the Charing Cross.

If you are going northbound to southbound or vice versa (eg Highbury
to Golders Green), the best thing is to use the staircase at the
western end of the platforms*, and again you are so much nearer to the
City branch that it's probably worth sticking with unless you see that
there's a huge gap in service.

Don't go up and down the huge escalators unless you have mobility
problems.

*Directed as to the emergency staircase, but effectively creates a
passage between the two sets of City/Victoria platforms.

Old August 10th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Just as a vaguely related aside...I regard as one of my best bits of
commuter navigation getting off the fast train from Harrow &
Wealdstone (platform 10) and managing to catch my connecting train
from platform 5 at Kings Cross in *five* minutes by way of the
Victoria line (possible by the fact the Vic train's doors closed a
couple of seconds after I jumped aboard and the same set of doors are
closest to both sets of routes to both mainline stations).
Old August 10th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Aug, 12:58, Jamie Thompson wrote:
Just as a vaguely related aside...I regard as one of my best bits of
commuter navigation getting off the fast train from Harrow &
Wealdstone (platform 10) and managing to catch my connecting train
from platform 5 at Kings Cross in *five* minutes by way of the
Victoria line (possible by the fact the Vic train's doors closed a
couple of seconds after I jumped aboard and the same set of doors are
closest to both sets of routes to both mainline stations).

I nearly had an excellent one yesterday, arriving on the District
platform at Whitechapel at 1315 (having found out there were delays on
the H&C), getting a District immediately, going a car forward at each
stop to be at the right end at Monument, changing onto the Northern
line, going a car forward at each stop to be at the right end at
Euston, and getting to mainline platform 7 at 1338.

Unfortunately, my train left at 1337...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org