Old August 15th 08, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hey ho, hey ho, its off to strike we go...

On Aug 15, 6:05�pm, MIG wrote:
On 15 Aug, 17:44, "Graculus"
wrote:

"Boltar" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 4:56 pm, "Graculus"
wrote:
Just seems to go along with some plonker of an Economics Spokesman (or
something like that) from the TUC who was coming out with all sorts of
crap
why their members should get above inflation pay rises "because this
inflation isn't caused by wage increases." Obviously he wants it to be
so.

What makes me sick is that for some reason I've never fathomed is that
public sector workers seem to assume that a yearly pay rise is a right
as opposed to being discretionary by the employer. They really need to
rejoin the real world at some point.

Not just the public sector, it seems. There's a plonker from Swissport
trying to justify why striking at the airports on the bank holiday weekend
is a good idea. And so many cliches in so few sentences I haven't heard in a
long time. What a dickhead.

That would never happen on the railways of course. �The routes to the
seaside are all closed for engineering work most August bank holidays.- Hide quoted text -

Is there ANY evidence that there is intelligent life in the body
calling itself Bob Crowe?

If you want a real laugh, go and have a look at his welcoming video on
the RMT website. "We're here for you....." - unless you're one of the
long-suffering sods who has to rely on one of your members to get from
A to B!

Marc.

Old August 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 15, 6:58*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 15, 6:05 pm, MIG wrote:

On 15 Aug, 17:44, "Graculus"
wrote:

"Boltar" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 4:56 pm, "Graculus"
wrote:
[...]

Well, it is his job to support his members, whether anyone else
supports them or not. I suppose a more intelligent union leader would
be selling out and chasing a knighthood. There's been plenty of those.
Old August 17th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I hope TfL is planning some kind of extended service for Bakerloo,
Victoria, and District lines - as they will take the majority of
displaced JNP passengers (Bakerloo from Jubilee, Northern (West End
branch), and Heathrow passengers from Paddington; Victoria and
District from Piccadilly).
Old August 17th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Alex writes

I hope TfL is planning some kind of extended service for Bakerloo,
Victoria, and District lines - as they will take the majority of
displaced JNP passengers (Bakerloo from Jubilee, Northern (West End
branch), and Heathrow passengers from Paddington; Victoria and
District from Piccadilly).

I would suggest almost definitely not.

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).
Old August 17th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)
Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

Old August 17th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Aug, 22:48, Alex wrote:
Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)

No - the system's running to capacity as it is. They could increase
the off-peak service to peak levels, that's about it.

Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

What, on a system where the management is so completely whipped by the
unions that people are seriously about to go on strike because their
pay rise was lower than the pay rise of people working for a different
company doing a vaguely similar job...?

You're having a laugh, right?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old August 17th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alex" wrote in message

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short
notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)
Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

The other lines are operating at full capacity in the peaks so even if
you had spare trains and drivers they couldn't be fitted in with the
normal peak service.

Peter Smyth

Old August 17th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:48:21 -0700 (PDT), Alex
wrote:

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)
Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

Hiow would they manage to impose that? Crow would pull everyone out on
strike!
Old August 18th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Alex writes

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)

No. Trains are often cancelled for unavailable stock as it is. Just
because you might see one or two sat in a depot doesn't mean they are
actually available for service. After the 7/7 bombings, the Circle has
had one train regularly cancelled due to the lack of that one train.

Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

No.
Old August 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short notice?
(We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)
Is there any emergency procedure to recall staff to work?

Hiow would they manage to impose that? Crow would pull everyone out on
strike!

Not me he wouldn't, I'm not in his union.

I can't be recalled to work as I (as do the rest of us) work five days
in seven. For safety reasons, I'm not allowed to work my rest days. In
fact it's in my COE that I can't even engage in a part time job, if I
wanted to, without the permission of my employing manager. When I'm at
work, I'm rostered to the hilt, often getting off a train exactly at the
minute I book off duty. We cannot be asked to work overtime as that
would potentially take us over our (legal) parameters.

Those on annual leave are on leave and they cannot be called into work.

The only (vague) possibility would be to use a couple of spares, but as
has already been mentioned, most lines are already at capacity train
wise and no more can be fitted in without causing delays.