Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 16th 08, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Connect failure

There seems to have been a major failure of the Connect radio system this
evening (15 Aug), leading to the suspension of the entire District and
Circle Lines, plus the H&C west of Baker Street and east of Whitechapel, and
the Piccadilly between Green Park and Acton Town.

Is it really necessary to shut down lines entirely if the radio system goes
down? Am I right in assuming that the tunnel telephone system is still
there for emergencies? If so, I would have thought it possible to run a
reduced service like the Piccadilly "special timetable" at 5-minute
intervals.

Even if running in tunnels is considered dangerous (despite it being
regarded as perfectly safe without radios for a century or so), why can't a
limited service be run on the open sections from Hammersmith or West
Kensington to Richmond and Ealing Broadway?

Stopping all the trains and shutting the stations just seems like the easy
way out for LU, and sod the passengers.
--
Richard J.