Old August 26th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who names new roads?

In message , at 20:20:25 on
Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Alasdair remarked:
There is a village in Staffordshire called Gnosall. How is that
pronounced?

No sal (as in salt), apparently.
Old August 26th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . uk,
at 09:30:00 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
There's a Docwra's Close next to Shepreth Station. Pronounce that!

No harder than "Gwydir".

I can have a stab at "Gwydir" (perhaps to rhyme with "why-dear",
or is it "wider"),

Assuming this is the one in Cambridge, something like "G'why-der"
is about what I knew it as, rhyming with wider, but I didn't know
many natives to know how they might say it - the chap I know who
lives in said street is from Herefordshire. Whitefriargate in Hull
is locally called Whitefrargate, with a missing middle "i", but
there is no way of knowing that.

Correct. But we have induction for outsiders round here. They have to
learn to pronounce Quy and Manea too.

It's Cambridge, there must be a website. Aha:
http://www.colc.co.uk/cambridge/gwydir/name.htm

"Gwydir Castle is the ancestral home of the powerful Wynn family,
descended from the kings of Gwynedd and one of the most significant
families of North Wales during the Tudor and Stuart periods. ...
The Welsh "Gwydir" is pronounced differently from Cambridge, with
the syllables rhyming with "squid" and "beer". Our "Gwydir" in
Cambridge rhymes with "rider".

Bear in mind that much of that web site is maintained by a friend of mine
who lives in Gwydir St.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 27th 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . uk, at
13:57:00 on Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

Silent "y". Marr-lee-bone.
Old August 27th 08, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:13:58 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message . uk, at
13:57:00 on Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

Silent "y". Marr-lee-bone.

If silent "y", then silent "l" too. It's either "Marribun" or
"Marrylebun" with a short "a" sound and the "i" almost unpronounced.
Old August 27th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:58:02 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

I've heard claims that stiff-key is becoming accepted in Norfolk.

Did it not once have a famous vicar?

--
Alasdair.