Old August 20th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who names new roads?

Bill Hayles wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:14 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

"BDY" was a standard LT abbreviation for "Broadway" up to at least the
late 1960s. I remember buses to HAMMERSMITH BDY, for example.

Which, for years, I misread as "Hammersmith Boy"

In my childhood I wondered who St Strand was in the 72 tram destination
SAVOY ST STRAND.

Peter Beale

Old August 20th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:25:44 on
Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Colum Mylod remarked:

Now check your satnavs for Butt Hole Road...

Doncaster.
Old August 20th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in Cambridge
sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

Do many roads get named (without fanfare) after serving or former local
councillors? A member of my family is convinced that is the case, without
being able to produce any evidence to support this.

Will there one day be a Rosenstiel Mews in Cambridge?

Chris

Old August 20th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in Cambridge
sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

Do many roads get named (without fanfare) after serving or former local
councillors? A member of my family is convinced that is the case, without
being able to produce any evidence to support this.

Will there one day be a Rosenstiel Mews in Cambridge?

The 'Colin Rosenstiel Cycle Path', surely?

Paul S

Old August 20th 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in message

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in Cambridge
sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

Do many roads get named (without fanfare) after serving or former local
councillors? A member of my family is convinced that is the case, without
being able to produce any evidence to support this.

Will there one day be a Rosenstiel Mews in Cambridge?

The 'Colin Rosenstiel Cycle Path', surely?

The Colin Rosenstiel Sensible Route From the Platforms To The Bloody
Street at St Pancras?

tom

--
But for [Flavor Flav's] "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOYYYYYYYYYY"s alone he should
be given Rap Legend status. -- Nate Patrin, ILX
Old August 20th 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 20, 8:19*am, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in messagenews:01c90241$b67f5de0$LocalHost@default...

wrote

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in

Cambridge
sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

At least some have a sense of humour - there's a road by Sheffield
Airport called Letsby Avenue. Appropriately enough when it was built
the only building on it was a police station.

You have been bitten by a Urban Legend I think

Postcode of "police station" and Google/Multimap link please.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=let...countryCode=GB

Peter Smyth

..and a Guardian article from 2000 (with a few other vaguely amusing
street names listed)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/fe...rtinwainwright
~cj