Old October 12th 08, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Onslow Gardens SW7 streetname sign

Today I noticed that at least two of the streetname signs are very large and
include a map, showing you where the various house numbers are. While map
signs are the norm in council estates and are common in industrial estates,
I've never seen one in a normal street before (if you can kall the katakana
streets of Kensington & Chelsea normal). I took a picture, if anyone's
interested.

Old October 12th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

Today I noticed that at least two of the streetname signs are very
large and include a map, showing you where the various house
numbers are.

[snip]

London has a new campaign to encourage walking, which started just
before the mayoral elections. Could it be associated with that?

One objective of the walking campaign is to reduce overcrowding on
the tubes. In central London, where the tubes are most crowded, a
good many people on the tube would have found it quicker, not to
mention pleasanter, to walk, especially if that had changed trains
for a short second leg of their trip.

Not sure whether Onslow Gardens is a good tube shortcut, though

Jeremy Parker

Old October 12th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

Today I noticed that at least two of the streetname signs are very large and
include a map, showing you where the various house numbers are. While map
signs are the norm in council estates and are common in industrial estates,
I've never seen one in a normal street before

They're probably just keeping up appearances.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 19th September 2008)
Old October 13th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message ,
Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:02:09, Jeremy Parker
posted:

London has a new campaign to encourage walking, which started just
before the mayoral elections. Could it be associated with that?

To encourage walking, street signs intended for motorists should have
additional signage where differences for pedestrians (and perhaps
cyclists) can usefully be indicated. The obvious example is the "cul-
de-sac" sign, where the road is part of a pedestrian through route.

Round here, cycle routes have their own indications : cyclists are
encouraged to use residential road routes, whereas motorists are not.
While pedestrian links are often indicated, I've noticed no general
concept of longer-range urban pedestrian routing.

A snag : it might increase the number of cyclists using "no-cycling"
routes.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old October 13th 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jeremy Parker wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

Today I noticed that at least two of the streetname signs are very
large and include a map, showing you where the various house
numbers are.

[snip]

London has a new campaign to encourage walking, which started just
before the mayoral elections. Could it be associated with that?

One objective of the walking campaign is to reduce overcrowding on
the tubes. In central London, where the tubes are most crowded, a
good many people on the tube would have found it quicker, not to
mention pleasanter, to walk, especially if that had changed trains
for a short second leg of their trip.

Not sure whether Onslow Gardens is a good tube shortcut, though

I don't think it shows where anything is, other than the housenumbers in
Onslow Gardens, which consists of a square with two roads off one corner,
with another crossbar on one of those roads.

Old October 13th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

I don't think it shows where anything is, other than the housenumbers
in Onslow Gardens, which consists of a square with two roads off one
corner, with another crossbar on one of those roads.

Surely that's the reason for the map? Finding a specific house number
would be very difficult for a stranger when there are so many different
but adjacent segments of road with the same name.
--
Paul Terry