Old October 18th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fare Evasion

In message , at 12:25:54 on
Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Helen Deborah Vecht
remarked:
I'm talking about picking it (or a replacement) up.

You get thosee from a Post Office too...

Do they *have* to be picked up in person, or can someone else do it for
you?

Old October 18th 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:24:26 on
Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Helen Deborah Vecht
remarked:
You get a letter from the Council and take it with two IDs to a Post
Office in the same London Borough, in person....

For both original cards, and replacements? Are there no provisions for
(eg) disabled cardholders to nominate someone else to pick it up?
Old October 18th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The clerical staff get those bonuses too?

I no longer have contact with City workers which touches on pay but when
I did (until a few years ago) it was certainly common for secretaries to
be on £30,000-£40,000 with bonuses of £thousands. Clerical juniors will
of course get less. But none of them were low paid by the standards of
many of the people I used to work with.

My point was rather that if the consequences of a conviction for the OP
are serious then it may well be better to pay for advice, especially if
the CAB cannot offer personal representation.

On a separate point, I am not sure anyone has yet answered the OP's
question about a criminal record. That and other questions is asked and
answered ("yes, if you are convicted") in TFL's FAQs
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ution-FAQs.pdf

--
Robin

Old October 18th 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Reg M) wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:15:13 +0100, reea
wrote:

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my
own oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't
given an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I
used the freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the
day and used the freedom pass instead of my own oyster card. I have
a record on my oyster card that on the first leg of my journey i
used my oyster card - the revenue inspector was not interested. The
statement he has put together is slightly inaccurate also. I am due
in court in 4 weeks and haven't a clue what to do. I have read many
forums and some people are saying to plead guilty to get a lighter
fine. I'm not concerned about the fine but the criminal record that
may be attached to this event. I also read that it could be an idea
to call the prosecution manager and to and plead an out of court
settlement - is this something anyone would recommend. Is it worth
hiring a solicitor or should I represent myself. It was a genuine
error and I do not want to receive a criminal record because of it.
Can someone advise if found guilty and fined that also means you get
a criminal record? Or you can escape a criminal record with just a
fine. I am very muddled and I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely
terrified of what is going to happen. Any answers or advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

There are a couple of newsgroups, uk.legal.moderated and uk.legal
which may give some advice. I think the suggestion to go to the
Citizens Advice is good. Mistakes happen, just stick to the truth,
don't embellish on it and maybe the court will accept your story.

Any conviction by a court will generate a criminal record. In this case it
looks as if evidence will be more important. Both Oystercard records for a
start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel