Old November 7th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Way to Go

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. *A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

Old November 7th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:

You want to come and have a wander or a cycle round Ashburton Grove after
an Arsenal home match to see the flaw with that - just a handful of police
horses leave half the neighbourhood paved in ****.

No, horses are not the future. Space hoppers, on the other hand ...

Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 19th September 2008)
Old November 8th 08, 01:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:

You want to come and have a wander or a cycle round Ashburton Grove after
an Arsenal home match to see the flaw with that - just a handful of police
horses leave half the neighbourhood paved in ****.

No, horses are not the future. Space hoppers, on the other hand ...

Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

It would be the British equivalent of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNH8XnRg2O0

tom

--
a blood-spattered Canadarm flinging goat carcasses into the void
Old November 8th 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message
et, Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:37:05, Chris Tolley posted:
Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old November 8th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

An online literal Welsh-English website comes up with
"Nor recite I go you heard he foreknows you go be lyingly"
I prefer the original BabelFish version (which translates everything
into Japanese first before translating that into the required language)
"My hovercraft is full of eels"
RDH
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

Old November 8th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language,

It is.

which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend?

Good grief. None of them.

I've checked ROT-13.

Interesting strategy. ;-)

Or is the idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek
it into the Great World Outside? g

The lingo I used is the modern expression of the ancient (i.e. before
the Romans) language of these islands, otherwise known as Welsh. The
message encrypted in those unfamiliar words is in response to the
suggestion that residents of the UK speak but English, and translates
roughly as "be careful repeating what you have been told, in case it is
wrong".

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632810.html
(31 319 and 31 294 at Oxford, 2 Jun 1985)
Old November 8th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

An online literal Welsh-English website comes up with
"Nor recite I go you heard he foreknows you go be lyingly"

ROFL!!! That's exactly the kind of thing the phrase refers to!!!

I prefer the original BabelFish version (which translates everything
into Japanese first before translating that into the required language)
"My hovercraft is full of eels"

In Welsh, BabelFish would be "Pysgod Terfysg" but if offered that phrase
in Welsh, I'd assume the speaker was trying to say "fighting fish", and
just got a bit confused with the right word for fighting, since there
are (for no reason I'm going to comment on) a range of suitable words to
choose from to cover that concept.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683658.html
(53939 (Class 108) at Derby, Jun 1985)
Old November 9th 08, 06:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
13:48:14 on Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

It would be the British equivalent of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNH8XnRg2O0

They have those at Schiphol airport. Why the manufacturers think it
makes officers "more approachable", I have no idea. (At Schiphol they
seem to select especially tall officers, and then add the several extra
inches of height. You would end up talking to their navel).
Old November 9th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 16:44, allan tracy wrote:

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

What has that got to do with congestion in Central London? (Though I
do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

Neil
Old November 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message
et, Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:17:03, Chris Tolley posted:

Or is the idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek
it into the Great World Outside? g

The lingo I used is the modern expression of the ancient (i.e. before
the Romans) language of these islands, otherwise known as Welsh.

The indication that I had realised that it was Welsh was evidently too
subtle for you.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.