Old November 7th 08, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting an early morning train at Euston from Putney

I'm planning to get the 06:20 to Manchester next Thursday.

The best way to get there appears to be to get a 14 from Putney Station at
05:03 or 05:18 and walk from the Warren St stop or N10 at 05:21.

The bus running times at that time of the morning seem to be much better
than standard, according to the TfL journey planner. Anyone done that sort
of thing and agree or otherwise?

Maybe the District & Circle Lines from East Putney to Euston Square would
be better? First train at 05:03 gets me to Euston Square at 05:44, a very
similar time to the bus, if not slightly later.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 7th 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Nov, 01:26, wrote:
I'm planning to get the 06:20 to Manchester next Thursday.

The best way to get there appears to be to get a 14 from Putney Station at
05:03 or 05:18 and walk from the Warren St stop or N10 at 05:21.

The bus running times at that time of the morning seem to be much better
than standard, according to the TfL journey planner. Anyone done that sort
of thing and agree or otherwise?

Maybe the District & Circle Lines from East Putney to Euston Square would
be better? First train at 05:03 gets me to Euston Square at 05:44, a very
similar time to the bus, if not slightly later.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I haven't checked the journey planner for those times, but I'd always
assume Vauxhall and Victoria Line for getting from Putney to Euston.
Old November 7th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Personally I would try the tube option first. If the 0503 did not
turn up I would go and catch the 0518 bus giving the best of both
options
Old November 7th 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I'm planning to get the 06:20 to Manchester next Thursday.

The best way to get there appears to be to get a 14 from Putney
Station at
05:03 or 05:18 and walk from the Warren St stop or N10 at 05:21.

The bus running times at that time of the morning seem to be much
better
than standard, according to the TfL journey planner. Anyone done that
sort
of thing and agree or otherwise?

Maybe the District & Circle Lines from East Putney to Euston Square
would
be better? First train at 05:03 gets me to Euston Square at 05:44, a
very
similar time to the bus, if not slightly later.

The timetable can be found at
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/014.htm

It seems the 0503 arrives at Warren Street at 0531 not 0521. 28 minutes
for ~7 miles seems reasonable enough at that time of the morning.

Peter Smyth

Old November 7th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 01:26, wrote:
I'm planning to get the 06:20 to Manchester next Thursday.

The best way to get there appears to be to get a 14 from Putney Station at
05:03 or 05:18 and walk from the Warren St stop or N10 at 05:21.

The bus running times at that time of the morning seem to be much better
than standard, according to the TfL journey planner. Anyone done that sort
of thing and agree or otherwise?

Maybe the District & Circle Lines from East Putney to Euston Square would
be better? First train at 05:03 gets me to Euston Square at 05:44, a very
similar time to the bus, if not slightly later.

I'd have no qualms at all about getting the bus at that time of day.
Early morning buses are quick thanks to the lack of traffic and
relatively light loading, and I've always found buses around that time
of day to be reliable and to broadly keep to timetable. Another plus
in the reliability stakes is that the 14 starts just up the road at
the Green Man so one can be even more confident about the stated time
for its arrival at your stop on Putney High Street. (If anything I'd
advise that you are there 5 minutes early, just in case.)

The Underground might be fine, but there is the added factor of it
involving two different trains courtesy of a change from the District
to the Circle at High Street Ken. The sub-surface lines, as we all
know, do have a tendency do get the hiccups rather easily, especially
the Circle line - also I might be wary of problems with the first
trains of the day, though perhaps my wariness is unjustified.

Nonetheless the bus is timetabled to be quicker that the Underground
so I reckon I'd go with that.

Old November 7th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 10:16, MIG wrote:

On 7 Nov, 01:26, wrote:

I'm planning to get the 06:20 to Manchester next Thursday.

The best way to get there appears to be to get a 14 from Putney Station at
05:03 or 05:18 and walk from the Warren St stop or N10 at 05:21.

The bus running times at that time of the morning seem to be much better
than standard, according to the TfL journey planner. Anyone done that sort
of thing and agree or otherwise?

Maybe the District & Circle Lines from East Putney to Euston Square would
be better? First train at 05:03 gets me to Euston Square at 05:44, a very
similar time to the bus, if not slightly later.

I haven't checked the journey planner for those times, but I'd always
assume Vauxhall and Victoria Line for getting from Putney to Euston.

Normally but perhaps not that early in the morning.

First trains Putney to Vauxhall are 0529 arrive 0541 and then the next
is 0551 arrive 0603 which would be cutting it incredibly fine!

Vic line trains from Vauxhall are timetabled at 0530, 0545 and 0600 -
so if the mainline train arrived on time and then one moved quick and
caught the 0545 tube train all would be good, but it doesn't leave any
margin for error.

With the bus there's another route 14 from Putney at 0518 arrival at
Warren Street 0604 or earlier, and also an N10 that takes departs
Putnet at 0521 and takes a different and more direct route through
town which continues past Warren Street to Euston itself arriving at
0557. If needs be I'd take the first of these that came to get up to
Warren Street.
Old November 7th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 18:45, wrote:
Personally I would try the tube option first. *If the 0503 did not
turn up I would go and catch the 0518 bus giving the best of both
options

But the tube goes from East Putney station, which is some way away
from Putney High Street where the bus goes from. It's an either or
situation.
Old November 7th 08, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 18:57, "Peter Smyth" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The 0521 that the OP mentioned is the departure time of the N10 bus
from Putney to Euston (direct), which departs from the same stops as
the 14 on Putney High Street (stops A, M and S).

I think the scheduled time is perfectly reasonable, there isn't much
traffic at that time of day so you just whizz right through town.
Old November 7th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 7 Nov, 01:26, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did wonder if it wouldn't be safer to stick on the District to
Edgware Road to give a choice of H&C and Circle for a bit more resilience.
But I didn't check the early morning H&C timetable.

Nonetheless the bus is timetabled to be quicker that the Underground
so I reckon I'd go with that.

I think you've convinced me to go for the bus. The bus is also cheaper, of
course (I'll probably be using Oyster PAYG). ;-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel