Old August 19th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting off at euston Now where do we go?

Am taking the family on a day out next week from Coventry to London we will
be getting off at Euston ( I presume) What I need to know is first of all
how from there we get to Oxford st. I seem to recall last time I was there I
came out front doors went right and then left? Also from there (Oxford st)
where do I then go for all the attractions? Trafalgar square, Buckingham
palace etc. I hear they are in walking distance? Can anyone reccomend a good
site the ones I have ound dont have the info I require.
Thank you
Melv

Old August 19th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Melv wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 19 Aug 2004:

Am taking the family on a day out next week from Coventry to London we will
be getting off at Euston ( I presume) What I need to know is first of all
how from there we get to Oxford st.

Hop on the Underground - 2 stops to Oxford Circus on the Victoria Line.

I seem to recall last time I was there I
came out front doors went right and then left?

That would do it. But that would bring you out at the tatty end of the
street. Before you leave the station, pop into the branch of W H Smith
that you will find there, and treat yourselves to a Nicholson's or A-Z
map book of London (I prefer Nicholson's, myself, as I find it easier to
read, but they are much of a muchness). That way you will be able to
see exactly where you want to go.

Also from there (Oxford st)
where do I then go for all the attractions? Trafalgar square, Buckingham
palace etc. I hear they are in walking distance? Can anyone reccomend a good
site the ones I have ound dont have the info I require.

They are in walking distance, but you will have rather sore feet by the
end of the day if you walk everywhere! If you buy a bus pass (£2.50 for
adults, children under 11 go free), or Family Travelcard (for details,
see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/), you will be able to hop on public transport
when you get tired. Best way to see London is from the top of a bus, in
my opinion!
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 19th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Am taking the family on a day out next week from Coventry to London we
will
be getting off at Euston ( I presume) What I need to know is first of all
how from there we get to Oxford st. I seem to recall last time I was there

came out front doors went right and then left?

You can do that, yes. Turn right along the Euston Road and turn left when
you get to Tottenham Court Road (Warren Street tube station is on the
corner). You then have to walk down Tottenham Court Road to get to the end
of Oxford Street and even then you are at the grottier end.

However I'd recommend using public transport to take you to Oxford Circus as
although it isn't far you probably have only so much walking in you in a day
and you might as well save it up for somewhere interesting. The Victoria
Line would take you there but I think you might prefer to use buses as you
can see more and it will work out cheaper over the day (it you use more than
two buses a bus pass will typically be cheaper). A quick scan of a bus map
suggests a 10 or 390 bus will take you from the Euston Road and along Oxford
Street to anywhere you want to be.

I'd suggest going to Oxford Circus and heading west to Marble Arch as that
will take in all the big shops.

Also from there (Oxford st)
where do I then go for all the attractions? Trafalgar square, Buckingham
palace etc. I hear they are in walking distance? Can anyone reccomend a

good
site the ones I have ound dont have the info I require.

If you get to Marble Arch you are on the north-east corner of Hyde Park so
you might like to wander through that. If you follow it down to the
south-east corner you are at Hyde Park Corner and then you can walk along
Constitution Hill to see Buckingham Palace. You can then walk along The
Mall (you might like to divert into St James Park alongside) and you will
end up in Trafalgar Square. At Trafalgar Square you are very close to the
river so you might like to go down there and then turn right along the
Embankment to the Houses Of Parliament and Westminster Abbey (and you'll see
the London Eye and County Hall across the river).

From that area you can get buses (looks like the 3 or 12) that take you back
to Oxford Circus via Piccadilly Circus.

Everything is a lot closer than you might think. I'd suggest looking at a
bus map (http://www.busmap.org/ has an excellent one you can download) to
get a feel for things. A streetmap also comes in handy to fill in some of
the street names.

Old August 19th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Melv" wrote in message ...
Am taking the family on a day out next week from Coventry to London we will
be getting off at Euston ( I presume) What I need to know is first of all
how from there we get to Oxford st. I seem to recall last time I was there I
came out front doors went right and then left? Also from there (Oxford st)
where do I then go for all the attractions? Trafalgar square, Buckingham
palace etc. I hear they are in walking distance? Can anyone reccomend a good
site the ones I have ound dont have the info I require.
Thank you
Melv

Depends where you want to be on Oxford St. I'd get on the Northern
(Charing X) Line Southbound to Tottenham Court Rd (badly named station
of all eternity award?); then it mainly stretches westwards in front
of you. Trafalgar Sq is definitely walkable from Oxford St - walk
straight down the Charing X Rd, Wardour St, or Regent St. Buck House
is a bit of a hike, but once you're at Trafalgar Sq, it isn't too bad.

My big tip is: print off the Central London bus map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

And maybe some spider maps (as the general map can be a bit opaque to
those who don't know London well):

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/camden.shtml
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/westminster.shtml

Buses are frequent in Central London (you should see the state of them
in Surrey) and have the big advantage of not taking five minutes to
get into and out of. Avoid buses which travel ALONG Oxford St, as the
traffic simply doesn't move, as TfL in their eternal wisdom try to
operate too many buses through there.
Old August 20th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"James" wrote in message
om...
of all eternity award?); then it mainly stretches westwards in front
of you. Trafalgar Sq is definitely walkable from Oxford St - walk
straight down the Charing X Rd, Wardour St, or Regent St. Buck House
is a bit of a hike, but once you're at Trafalgar Sq, it isn't too bad.

How about doing this the other way round - you could go down Bond St to
Piccadilly, through Green Park to Buckingham Palace and down The Mall to
Trafalger Square?