Old November 15th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

How about "A ticket check is about to commence, please have your
{tickets and passes ready for inspection}"
Nothing whatever happened.

I've heard this several times on central London bendies; there's always a
few that get off at the next stop, and a few that 'remember' to touch in
their PAYG Oysters.

But not as many as the Evening Standard would have you believe ;o)

And I've yet to see the announcement followed by an inspection.
Real ones have no warning.

(The boy who cried wolf will set in eventually, I'm sure)
--

Andrew

Old November 15th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 21:30:28 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

[2] Literal translation would be "stand back", but "stand away" is a
far more common UK term, at least on the mainline in the days of
slamdoors.

These days, of course, it's invariably "stand clear".
Old November 15th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:38:09 -0000, "Andrew Heenan"
wrote:

"Andrew Heenan" wrote ...
I was at Euston bus station when a bus came round (people inside and
outside looking bemused) making an external announcement that "this
bus is under attack". I think this was before ibus though.

That was a pre-ibus thing. I've heard it a couple of times.

This example is from outside London:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGHuNfQZjA

I think the London version sounds less panicky.

That looks like a London bus but it's going to Brighton...
Old November 15th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote:
This example is from outside London:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGHuNfQZjA
I think the London version sounds less panicky.

That looks like a London bus but it's going to Brighton...

Metrobus (Go-Ahead Group) operates from SE London through a lot of of Sussex
to the south coast.

Their allover red buses are mostly confined to SE London, however.
--
Andrew
seo2seo.com

"She plays the tuba.
It is the only instrument capable
of imitating a distress call."

Old November 15th 08, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:28:24 -0800 (PST), Railist
wrote:

I've just remembered the most annoying bus announcement, and it's not
iBus.

I think it's Route 133 to/from Liverpool Street. When someone presses
the bell to get off, this loud, asthmatic alarm sound starts, with a
stilted 'Bus. Stopping. At. Next. Bus. Stop. Please. Stand. (Well.?)
Clear. Of. Doors'.

Every single stop. For the entire journey.

Yup. That happens on the 213 (Sutton-Kingston) too. I occasionally
speak on the phone to a commuter on the said route, and tend to join
in with the announcement to avoid being driven mad...

Old November 15th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

It reminds me of a comment by Heinlen in one of his books. That if we
get to the point where we need to put instructions on packets of tooth
picks then every sane person should leave and go live in the
wilderness :-)

Wasn't that Douglas Adams?

Old November 15th 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:02:27 -0000, wrote:

Not surprising, considering that it Farringdon appears to actually be a
pretty important hub.

It is. But it doesn't make it necessary to constantly drone on about
minding the doors and moving down inside the carriages. In the
morning peak, almost every passenger was there yesterday and will be
tomorrow, so if they haven't learnt by now that walking to the end of
the platform often gets you a seat they aren't going to. The
announcements are completely and utterly superfluous.

Yeah, but people still don't go to the far ends of the platforms,
particularly on the westbound track.

I think it's an element of pride in their "big railway". It doesn't
stop it being grating and pointless, though.

Do you mean the Met? Yes, I've heard many a time that they have a
holier-than-thou attitude. But still, there are many destinations and
several variants on how to run trains, so it is not surprising that there
are so many announcements.

Also, look at how many monitors there are at Baker Street at the transfer
between the Bkerloo and Jubilee lines.

In fact, the Met sometimes reminds me of the RER, in Paris.

Old November 15th 08, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , solar penguin
writes

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

It reminds me of a comment by Heinlen in one of his books. That if we
get to the point where we need to put instructions on packets of tooth
picks then every sane person should leave and go live in the
wilderness :-)

Wasn't that Douglas Adams?

Ahh you might be right. Though I'm sure Lazarus Long must have
had similar musings :-)

--
Edward Cowling "It's a thief in the night to come and grab you
It can creep up inside you and consume you"

Old November 15th 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 15, 11:06*am, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"James Farrar" wrote:
This example is from outside London:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGHuNfQZjA
I think the London version sounds less panicky.

That looks like a London bus but it's going to Brighton...

Metrobus (Go-Ahead Group) operates from SE London through a lot of of Sussex
to the south coast.

Their allover red buses are mostly confined to SE London, however.

They seem to be better at keeping the right colours in the right
places now. Till fairly recently, it was common to see garish yellow
and blue buses on routes like the 261 (London), but it doesn't seem to
happen any more.