Old November 14th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:27:13 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:54:51PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:45:36 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:
I would agree, except that you know it would go "the next stop is big
pause Foo Street"...

And "the next stop" would get annoying.

Only to those who want to be annoyed, which is what started this thread
in the first place. "Foo Street" already annoys those people, so "the
next stop is Foo Street" wouldn't do any harm. "Naechste halt ... Foo
Strasse" doesn't seem to cause any problems on the local Munich trains
that people seem to like using as an example here.

German announcements are more verbose, yes. But I still say stick
with just the stop name, for me extra words don't add anything. The
announcements are necessary, but should be concise (if you want
examples - Paris-style).

BTW I don't think we're *that* far behind anyone else. In my
experience, bus announcements are as rare in Ireland, Spain, Portugal
and Belgium as they are here, and like us they never had a culture of
getting the driver do it as very common in Switzerland - much more fun
when done in a real Swiss accent.

Richard.

Old November 14th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 10:01, Stephen Furley wrote:
Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

"Ticket inspectors operate on this bus" (I think I've only ever heard
it on bendies)

Old November 14th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Nov, 08:45, James Farrar wrote:
The announcements match the name of the stop as displayed on the flag.
There are some two-part stop names; if you have suggestions for
renaming of particular stops to avoid confusion in those cases, I'm
sure TfL would consider them.

Although they're not terribly consistent in how they read out the
subsidiary part of the stop name.

True. What I would do is add an external speaker to announce the route
umber and destination to passengers waiting to board. That would help
blind passengers, and possibly others. OTOH, it might **** off
residents...

Buses in Chicago have this featu
"This system features exterior announcements and electronic signs that
identify the bus route and its destination when the front doors are
opened. It also includes interior announcements and signs identifying
the next stop."

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/a...cleid =113976

Old November 14th 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Nov, 14:05, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 11 Nov, 10:01, Stephen Furley wrote:

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

"Ticket inspectors operate on this bus" (I think I've only ever heard
it on bendies)

I was at Euston bus station when a bus came round (people inside and
outside looking bemused) making an external announcement that "this
bus is under attack". I think this was before ibus though.
Old November 14th 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote
I was at Euston bus station when a bus came round (people inside and
outside looking bemused) making an external announcement that "this
bus is under attack". I think this was before ibus though.

That was a pre-ibus thing. I've heard it a couple of times.
--

Andrew

Old November 14th 08, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew Heenan" wrote ...
I was at Euston bus station when a bus came round (people inside and
outside looking bemused) making an external announcement that "this
bus is under attack". I think this was before ibus though.

That was a pre-ibus thing. I've heard it a couple of times.

This example is from outside London:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGHuNfQZjA

I think the London version sounds less panicky.
--

Andrew

Old November 14th 08, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:19:17 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

The number of residents it would **** off would far outnumber the number
of blind people in the entire country, never mind the fraction of them
who would use the bus. In this case, I'm inclined to say "**** the
blind".

Sadly, the DDA gets in the way of that attitude.
Old November 14th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On 11 Nov, 18:12, wrote:

If there is one thing that seriously grates on the Tube, it's the
continuous announcements on the stations when the train is stopped
there. None of them are necessary, except possibly stating once only
where the train is going for the benefit of the blind/partially
sighted. The Met line, for some reason, is the absolute worst for
this, particularly the announcer at Farringdon who just can't shut up.

Not surprising, considering that it Farringdon appears to actually be a
pretty important hub. I mean, besides FCC Thameslink, you have the Circle,
Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Line going through there. And I've
alsways found that the Met seems to get more attention than other lines in
terms of announcements.

Old November 14th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
[...]

The U-Bahn in Hamburg also has external speakers, but normally it is just
the driver saying "zeuruck."

Old November 14th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 11:21, MIG wrote:

I anecdoted in the past that I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road which,
every time it was displaying "21 to Lewisham Centre" actually
announced "Crystal Palace" (although it was correct at announcing the
stops on the approach).

I failed to anecdote at the time, that about six months ago I was
on an A10 which at some point started to consistently announce itself
as two stops ahead of its real location.

It eventually announced the same one twice to catch up a bit, but
it's still a spectacularly unhelpful failure mode!

Hth

Henry