Old November 9th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

Old November 9th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Nov, 19:09, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote:

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. *More,
please.

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a nice
big LED display.

We do, do we? Err... why do we want this?
Old November 10th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Holt
writes
Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

I feel the same about the beeping before the doors close on the Tube.
It's easy to understand why the jobs worths at TFL think audible warning
and information are a good idea. i.e. Little old ladies get caught in
the doors less and get off at the right stop more often :-)

But I think they underestimate the effect of noise pollution in an
already noisy world. Like you I find most bus journeys of more than a
couple of stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little
more than 4 wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

--
Edward Cowling "'Cause onces a good girl goes bad
We gone forever"

Old November 10th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 9 Nov, 19:09, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a
nice
big LED display.

We do, do we? Err... why do we want this?

So that on cold wind swept evenings while waiting at a stop which serves 6
buses all of which have non working front blind illumination we don't miss
the one we want...

And the LED displays are much clearer than the paper blinds - and LED's
don't fade in the sun, and don't require a back-light

Old November 10th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote
I feel the same about the beeping before the doors close on the Tube. It's
easy to understand why the jobs worths at TFL think audible warning and
information are a good idea. i.e. Little old ladies get caught in the
doors less and get off at the right stop more often :-)
But I think they underestimate the effect of noise pollution in an already
noisy world. Like you I find most bus journeys of more than a couple of
stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little more than 4
wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

Easy to sneer now; but you'll be a little old lady one day, and may be
grateful for some of the annoying safety features.

And it's easy to blame 'jobsworths', while European law is behind most, and
UK law accounts for the rest. My guess is is that TfL cares for the less
fit and able no more than you do. Sad old world, but there ya go.
--

Andrew

Old November 10th 08, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Errr,Q Have you visited Edinburgh lately..?

Fleet full of absolutely sparkling and totally legible white-on-black
"traditional" scrolls,even the 10 year old buses readable at a distance.

Crisp white backlights AND many vehicles with Side and Rear displays showing
the End Destination also.
All backed up with Parisian style interior rolling "Next Stop" digital
panels on the newer vehicles.

Crikey,the canny Scots even had "Rugby Special" panels for the Murrayfield
specials on the Via scroll.

Then for the really inquisitive traveller Lothian resort to slide-in boards
attached to the front panel for odd workings/intermediate destinations.

IMHO Lothians standard should be adopted by the Industry generally as THE
one to aim for.

PS: An Edinburgh trip also allows direct side-by-side comparison between a
10 year old Lothian "Paper" scroll and a sparkling new First Group LED with
a lenghty Scots placename squeezed into the available space so that its
impossible to differentiate between the numbers and the letters.

Old November 10th 08, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:01:05 -0800 (PST), sweek
wrote:

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

I suppose it is to that anyone boarding knows they are on the right
bus. But you have a point. If the bus stop has a visual display maybe
there should be announcements also. Could be a bit annoying for
anyone living next to a bus stop though!
Old November 10th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew Heenan
writes
stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little more than 4
wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

Easy to sneer now; but you'll be a little old lady one day,

Oh no I won't !!

There may be lots of things getting cut off during the recession, but my
balls won't be one of them :-)

Old November 10th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Alek Smart." wrote in message
Errr,Q Have you visited Edinburgh lately..?

Not for a while now no, and the last time I did and used a bus it was a
different experience (not knowing how much it cost for a night bus didn't
help)

Fleet full of absolutely sparkling and totally legible white-on-black
"traditional" scrolls,even the 10 year old buses readable at a distance.

The ones we have here start there life as bright yellow on black and fade
somewhat.

Crisp white backlights AND many vehicles with Side and Rear displays
showing the End Destination also.

The last time I waited in the city for a night bus of the 5 that arrived at
the same time, only 1 had a working back-light. I don't know if the others
had a fault, or where just switched off.

All backed up with Parisian style interior rolling "Next Stop" digital
panels on the newer vehicles.

Crikey,the canny Scots even had "Rugby Special" panels for the Murrayfield
specials on the Via scroll.

I have seen some funny things displayed on buses in London including
'Nottingham' many years ago on one of my then local routes.

The displays used by one of the tourist routes are more what I was thinking.
A big LED number and final destination, with either a fixed 'via' or
scrolling.

Old November 10th 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:15:08PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

I'd make several changes.

1) instead of saying "Foo Street" say "the next stop is Foo Street"

2) instead of saying "the destination of this bus has changed" say "the
destination of this bus has changed to Foo"

3) instead of saying "Denmark Street" say "Denmark Street, Charing Cross
Road" (and similar for other stops which aren't actually on the
street they're named after, or which are named for a nearby
building).

and get rid of the ones telling you what route you're on and where it's
going entirely. You already know that before you get on the bus.

Someone I mentioned number 3 to a few weeks ago said it would be
confusing. Well, if it is, then I suppose that Dean St, Chinatown and
Green Park, Constitution Hill need changing. No doubt there are others.

All children should be aptitude-tested at an early age and,
if their main or only aptitude is for marketing, drowned.