Old December 18th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo Line beyond Harrow & Wealdstone

On Dec 18, 2:12 pm, Andy wrote:

What I can't work out is why only some of
the trains on the 'fast' lines are timetabled to stop.

Apart from suggesting thats the only way to get enough platform
capacity I don't know.

I will look at a Met. WTT and/or try and find out more.

--
Nick

Old December 18th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:36:22 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

On Dec 18, 1:12*am, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:19:03 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
On Dec 17, 10:13*pm, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:00:51 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:03:35 -0800 (PST), D7666 wrote:

I'm probably wrong but I thought mirrors are an aid to driver to see
guard but DOO needs CCTV ?

DOO requires a clear view of the entire side of the train. This can be
done through mirrors, CCTV, or a combination.

Thinking more on this since I made that comment perhaps my involvement
with underground infrastructure has confused me ... perhaps we have a
CCTV requirement that national railways do not.

IIRC, the NR platforms at Harrow-on-the-Hill only have mirrors. The
north/westbound NR platform is occasionally used by Amersham-bound LU
trains.

Do they stop there these days? When I lived in Harrow it was the
through line for trains that didn't stop.

There was the famous occasion when the signalman thought the Master
Cutler was a Uxbridge fast and routed it down the line to West Harrow.
I never did find out how they got it back on the main line.

Don't all LU trains stop at Harrow on the Hill? *Last time I got an
Amersham-bound LU train I was slightly surprised that it used platform
1 at HoTH, which I expected to be used mainly by Chiltern when they
stopped. *However, it had stopped at Wembley Park in platform 1 as
well, where I got on (still requiring a crossover to get to platform 1
at HoTH).

Not when I lived there. Fast Uxbridge trains were non-stop from
Finchley Road to Rayner's Lane, and fast Aylesbury (later Amersham)
were non-stop from Finchley Road to Moor Park (AFAIR) or perhaps
Rickmansworth. There was a curve from the down BR main line to West
Harrow instead of using the flyunder.

When was that taken out? I don't remember that one at all. I expect
the patterns I remember would be from going that way a lot in the late
1970s.

I don't know. I grew up there and moved away in the 1970s.