Old February 4th 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line not stopping at Stratford this morning

After getting on the Central Line at Leyton this morning, the driver
announced that the train would not be stopping at Stratford due to
overcrowding at the station. How would the Central Line not stopping help
overcrowding given at that time in the morning, far, far more people get
on the Westbound Central Line at Stratford than get off, which would
obviously reduce the overcrowding.

Either way, when the train passed through Stratford, the 'overcrowding'
seemed to be less busy than normal. (anyone know what was actually going
on this morning at Stratford?)

Old February 5th 11, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/02/2011 00:19, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:20:33 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov
wrote:

After getting on the Central Line at Leyton this morning, the driver
announced that the train would not be stopping at Stratford due to
overcrowding at the station. How would the Central Line not stopping help
overcrowding given at that time in the morning, far, far more people get
on the Westbound Central Line at Stratford than get off, which would
obviously reduce the overcrowding.

Either way, when the train passed through Stratford, the 'overcrowding'
seemed to be less busy than normal. (anyone know what was actually going
on this morning at Stratford?)

I am guessing that the problem was the Jubilee Line being suspended NOG
to Stratford due to a conked out train. Given the Central Line is above
the Jubilee Line at Stratford it is possible that you couldn't see how
congested other parts of the station were. I'm speculating that letting
lots of people off Central Line trains who then head to a non operating
Jubilee Line is not the best option. I also suspect that DLR was
horribly oversubscribed but it also seems to have had problems according
to an apology poster I saw on my way home tonight.

The Standard front page tonight said Boris shouted down the phone at Mr
Hendy about the Jubilee Line problems.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-line-chaos.do

I wonder why they didn't simultaneously carry out signalling upgrades on
the Metropolitan line segments that run parallel to the Jubilee line
since the S stock is most probably equipped with ATO capacity.
Old February 5th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On 05/02/2011 00:19, Paul Corfield wrote:

I wonder why they didn't simultaneously carry out signalling upgrades
on the Metropolitan line segments that run parallel to the Jubilee
line since the S stock is most probably equipped with ATO capacity.

The subsurface resignalling is a different (Metronet-originated, but now
re-tendered) project, whereas the Jubilee resignalling was a Tube Lines
project.

I believe they will (inevitably) be using different systems, another
long-term legacy of Gordon Brown's disastrous Underground PPP contract.
The Jubilee line uses Thales, which didn't make the shortlist for the
subserface lines. The resignalled Picc will now use the same system as
the subsurface lines (with which it shares tracks), rather than Thales
as originally planned.

Old February 5th 11, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/02/2011 12:04, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

On 05/02/2011 00:19, Paul Corfield wrote:

I wonder why they didn't simultaneously carry out signalling upgrades
on the Metropolitan line segments that run parallel to the Jubilee
line since the S stock is most probably equipped with ATO capacity.

The subsurface resignalling is a different (Metronet-originated, but now
re-tendered) project, whereas the Jubilee resignalling was a Tube Lines
project.

I believe they will (inevitably) be using different systems, another
long-term legacy of Gordon Brown's disastrous Underground PPP contract.
The Jubilee line uses Thales, which didn't make the shortlist for the
subserface lines. The resignalled Picc will now use the same system as
the subsurface lines (with which it shares tracks), rather than Thales
as originally planned.

Well, then wouldn't/shouldn't the same apply to the Metropolitan and
Jubilee lines?
Old February 5th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On 05/02/2011 00:19, Paul Corfield wrote:

I wonder why they didn't simultaneously carry out signalling upgrades
on the Metropolitan line segments that run parallel to the Jubilee
line since the S stock is most probably equipped with ATO capacity.

The subsurface resignalling is a different (Metronet-originated, but now
re-tendered) project, whereas the Jubilee resignalling was a Tube Lines
project.

I believe they will (inevitably) be using different systems, another
long-term legacy of Gordon Brown's disastrous Underground PPP contract.
The Jubilee line uses Thales, which didn't make the shortlist for the
subserface lines. The resignalled Picc will now use the same system as
the subsurface lines (with which it shares tracks), rather than Thales
as originally planned.

What is also going to happen with LUL areas that share ROWs with NR,
such as Gunnersbury-Richmond, Harrow-on-the-Hill-to Amersham and Queens
Park-Harrow & Wealdstone?

Old February 5th 11, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I am guessing that the problem was the Jubilee Line being suspended NOG
to Stratford due to a conked out train. Given the Central Line is above
the Jubilee Line at Stratford it is possible that you couldn't see how
congested other parts of the station were. I'm speculating that letting
lots of people off Central Line trains who then head to a non operating
Jubilee Line is not the best option. I also suspect that DLR was
horribly oversubscribed but it also seems to have had problems according
to an apology poster I saw on my way home tonight.

I see - thanks for that - that must have been the reason. I did indeed
notice the DLR platforms looked busier than normal. What is strange is
that the Jubilee Line has been suspended loads of times and I've never
known them not stop Central Line trains....
Old February 5th 11, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin Petrov
writes
I am guessing that the problem was the Jubilee Line being suspended NOG
to Stratford due to a conked out train. Given the Central Line is above
the Jubilee Line at Stratford it is possible that you couldn't see how
congested other parts of the station were. I'm speculating that letting
lots of people off Central Line trains who then head to a non operating
Jubilee Line is not the best option. I also suspect that DLR was
horribly oversubscribed but it also seems to have had problems according
to an apology poster I saw on my way home tonight.

I see - thanks for that - that must have been the reason. I did indeed
notice the DLR platforms looked busier than normal. What is strange is
that the Jubilee Line has been suspended loads of times and I've never
known them not stop Central Line trains....

There was queuing outside of Shadwell DLR station on Friday morning
around 10am. I've never known that to happen. I'm guessing that the
timing of the Jubilee line (around 7.30am onwards) problems coupled with
that which were occurring on the DLR had a particular bad impact. I
ended up walking from there to Canary Wharf together with a total
stranger and a work colleague that caught us up further down on Cable
Street and decided that it was a very fun way to start a Friday as it
was cold but beautifully clear and an interesting conversation was had
on route. Suspect I also beat all those queuing at Shadwell too

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old February 5th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 5, 10:02*pm, Paul G wrote:
[snip]
There was queuing outside of Shadwell DLR station on Friday morning
around 10am. *I've never known that to happen. *I'm guessing that the
timing of the Jubilee line (around 7.30am onwards) problems coupled with
that which were occurring on the DLR had a particular bad impact. *I
ended up walking from there to Canary Wharf together with a total
stranger and a work colleague that caught us up further down on Cable
Street and decided that it was a very fun way to start a Friday as it
was cold but beautifully clear and an interesting conversation was had
on route. *Suspect I also beat all those queuing at Shadwell too

I wouldn't wish to put you off an invigorating and cordial walk down
Cable St and through Limehouse on a crisp winter's morning whatsoever
- indeed I'm all for it - but I will just note that the 135 bus
traverses nearby Commercial Road before heading onto the Isle of Dogs
(including winding it's way through 'the Wharf').

Interesting to hear of queueing at Shadwell DLR.
Old February 5th 11, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

(including winding it's way through 'the Wharf').

"winding its way" without the you-know-what.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've just been posting to
alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe so I'm in that frame of mind...

Old February 6th 11, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

[...]

But they don't routinely share tracks in service, unlike the Picc and
the Met/District.