Old December 20th 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Coffee & ITSO

On 20 Dec, 00:28, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Mizter T wrote

So whether it's cheaper to just buy an out-boundary Day
Travelcard or instead get a normal return to London and
then use Oyster PAYG depends on a number of factors...

[...]

In Robert's case he could possibly end up saving a little bit of
money but it depends what Railcard he holds. If it is a Senior
Railcard then (a) if he ever goes to London and only travels by
bus or only makes say one Tube and one bus journey, and (b)
can be bothered to get the Railcard discount loaded on an
Oyster card, then he might save a little cash, though to be
honest it is so marginal I wouldn't get very excited about it!

Anyway, sorry I've made this all sound very complicated, I was

[...]

Hee

"If it is a Senior Railcard" then Robert is also entitled, *if an
English resident* to a English National Bus Pass so can travel free on
buses. Same, probably, for a Disabled Railcard.

Arghh! Of course, the National Bus Pass. That does change things
somewhat. Unless one isn't a resident of England of course!

So even more complicated.

Yes... and no, at least not perhaps in Robert's case! The only real
clear benefit I could identify for someone in Robert's position of
using Oyster PAYG is that of someone who wanted to travel on a couple
of buses - so if someone in that position can travel on buses for
free, that consideration disappears in a puff of smoke!

I have previously noted that when traveling before the SuperOff-peak
kicks in and if the difference between Off-peak and SuperOff-peak is
significant (trivial from Reading) it may cheaper to buy a Off-peak Day
Return to a point in the zones, say to the first station in Zone 6,
plus a zones 1-6 ODTC .

Interesting. Though in such a scenario the train does actually have to
stop at the ticket changeover point - thus you either need to persuade
the ticket clerk at your starting station to sell you the required
combo, or otherwise get off the train at the appropriate station, buy
a ticket and then catch the next train.

Old December 20th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote in
:

The only situation where you would gain any significant benefit from
using Oyster PAYG would be if you only made two bus journeys at 90p
each (so £1.80 total - a saving of £1.30 ), or a lesser saving if
making one bus and one zone 1 Tube journer (90p plus £1.50 so £1.40
total - a meagre saving of 70p!). Otherwise the flexibility of the
trusty old Travelcard wins!

It's maybe worth pointing out that if Robert lives in Reading (or anywhere
in England) and has a Senior Railcard, he will also be eligible for a free
Senior Bus Concession card from his local authority, which gives free off-
peak travel on buses anywhere in England, including London. So if he is
prepared to put up with the bouncing buses, he need only by a return rail
ticket to London.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com
Old December 20th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 15:17, Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

The only situation where you would gain any significant benefit from
using Oyster PAYG would be if you only made two bus journeys at 90p
each (so £1.80 total - a saving of £1.30 ), or a lesser saving if
making one bus and one zone 1 Tube journer (90p plus £1.50 so £1.40
total - a meagre saving of 70p!). Otherwise the flexibility of the
trusty old Travelcard wins!

It's maybe worth pointing out that if Robert lives in Reading (or anywhere
in England) and has a Senior Railcard, he will also be eligible for a free
Senior Bus Concession card from his local authority, which gives free off-
peak travel on buses anywhere in England, including London. *So if he is
prepared to put up with the bouncing buses, he need only by a return rail
ticket to London.

Indeed, though Micheal Dolbear managed to get there first in pointing
out the flaws in my logic in his post downthread where he reminded me
of the existence of said bus pass.
Old December 20th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

Indeed, though Micheal Dolbear managed to get there first in pointing out
the flaws in my logic in his post downthread where he reminded me of the
existence of said bus pass.

Isn't a "downthread" post one that hasn't yet been posted?

Old December 20th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec, 14:22, Neil Williams wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:43*am, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

seehttp://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

I can't help but think that this is what the big hole that calls
itself Visa payWave should have been?

Neil

Visa Paywave (including the oyster Barclaycard Onepulse) and
Mastercard Paypass can now be used at the Eroscard terminals to buy
the Evening Standard.
There are also plans to introduce an Eros prepaid Mastercard Paypass
card.

see https://secure.americanbanker.com/ar...080721ZTR2EYHH

Old December 20th 08, 04:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 16:49, "John Salmon" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote

Indeed, though Micheal Dolbear managed to get there first in pointing out
the flaws in my logic in his post downthread where he reminded me of the
existence of said bus pass.

Isn't a "downthread" post one that hasn't yet been posted?

Er, it could well be. May I confess that I've never had a totally
clear idea what the relevant lingo is, and have often sidestepped this
by just saying "elsewhere on this thread" or some such.

My logic for it being downthread is that my post - i.e. the one you
quote above that mentions the contentious phrase - was to appear in
the 'thread tree' above Michael's, thus Michael's was 'downthread'
i.e. below mine.

If however the thread is in fact the ongoing, linear thread of
discussion then yes the term 'downthread' doesn't make much sense.
However usenet discussion threads aren't really conventional, linear
discussions are they?

I'm more than happy to take advice on this!
Old December 20th 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

see http://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

I can't help but think that this is what the big hole that calls
itself Visa payWave should have been?

Neil

Visa Paywave (including the oyster Barclaycard Onepulse) and
Mastercard Paypass can now be used at the Eroscard terminals to buy
the Evening Standard.
There are also plans to introduce an Eros prepaid Mastercard Paypass
card.

see https://secure.americanbanker.com/ar...080721ZTR2EYHH

That's interesting. So do the Standard think that their readership are
going to be pushed downmarket as a result of the credit crunch and
will be in need of a prepaid card, or do they alternatively think that
the potential customers for such a card are the aspirant type and will
wish to associate themselves with the 'classy' Standard?

Of course the reality is that the Standard think they can successfully
sell people the concept of this pay 'n' wave card through the pages of
their rag, and in thinking that they may well have a point.
Old December 20th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2008-12-20 15:17:48 +0000, Peter Campbell Smith
said:

Mizter T wrote in
:

The only situation where you would gain any significant benefit from
using Oyster PAYG would be if you only made two bus journeys at 90p
each (so £1.80 total - a saving of £1.30 ), or a lesser saving if
making one bus and one zone 1 Tube journer (90p plus £1.50 so £1.40
total - a meagre saving of 70p!). Otherwise the flexibility of the
trusty old Travelcard wins!

It's maybe worth pointing out that if Robert lives in Reading (or anywhere
in England) and has a Senior Railcard, he will also be eligible for a free
Senior Bus Concession card from his local authority, which gives free off-
peak travel on buses anywhere in England, including London. So if he is
prepared to put up with the bouncing buses, he need only by a return rail
ticket to London.

Peter

I giving away all my secrets! Yes, I also have an ITSO bus pass and use
it locally, but I've never tried it in London as usually the Tube is
quicker to get me to where I want to go. (Paddington, as any fule kno,
is not in central Lunnon).

Next time, though, I'll try it and see what happens.
--
Robert

Old December 20th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2008-12-20 17:17:03 +0000, Mizter T said:

[...]

All too esoteric for me!
--
Robert

Old December 20th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Robert" wrote

I giving away all my secrets! Yes, I also have an ITSO bus pass and use
it locally, but I've never tried it in London as usually the Tube is
quicker to get me to where I want to go. (Paddington, as any fule kno,
is not in central Lunnon).

Next time, though, I'll try it and see what happens.

When using a non-London bus pass in London you just show it to the driver,
as you would an ODTC (or any other non-Oyster Travelcard), or if it is a
bendybus just get on. London Freedom Pass holders have to touch in on the
Oyster reader.

Outside London some bus operators issue a zero fare ticket; others ask how
far you are travelling and then issue a zero fare ticket, but TfL don't seem
to bother to collect any record of journeys made by non-London bus pass
holders.

Peter