Old January 18th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Watford rail link support boost

Watford rail link support boost

From eWatford Observer
5:19pm Friday 16th January 2009

By Michael Pickard »

The extension of the Metropolitan tube line to Watford Junction
station moved a step closer to realisation today.
Two schemes developed by Hertfordshire County Council were backed by
the East of England regional Assembly's Regional Planning Panel, and
the assembly will now advise the Department of Transport to fund them
both.
It is hoped the plans - the £162 million Croxley Rail Link and the £38
million Watford Junction Interchange - will reduce congestion and
boost Watford's economy.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways, transport and rural
affairs, said: “I’m delighted that the regional assembly will be
pushing the Government to fund these schemes. We need to invest in our
transport infrastructure if we’re going to support our economy and
reduce congestion.
“The Department for Transport bases its funding decisions on the
regional advice, so we’re optimistic that we’ll get the go-ahead and
that the line can open in 2017.”
The £162 million Croxley Rail Link scheme will see the Metropolitan
Line re-routed and extended to Watford Junction, where it will meet
Network Rail services.
Tube trains will run from Watford Junction to Central London every ten
minutes, the County Council said.
New stations would be also opened at Ascot Road and Watford West, with
improvements made to existing stations at Watford High Street and
Watford Junction.
The £38 million Watford Junction Station Interchange scheme involves a
major redevelopment of the station.
The station will get more drop-off points, easier pedestrian access
and better bus and coach facilities. New car parks will be built along
with a new link road.
………………………………...................................... ..............................
………………………………...................................... ..............................
John Burke
WRUG

Old January 18th 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
THC THC is offline

This is excellent news, although every time an additional approval for
the Croxley Rail Link is granted in this tortuous process, the cost
goes up and the proposed completion date stretches further away.

THC
Old January 18th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"THC" wrote in message
This is excellent news, although every time an additional approval for
the Croxley Rail Link is granted in this tortuous process, the cost
goes up and the proposed completion date stretches further away.

THC

It states on the proposal that trains would run every ten minutes. Yet on
the Amersham branch there are now only two trains an hour (I think I am
correct in saying this?) how come there would be such a variance?

Old January 18th 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

"THC" wrote in message
This is excellent news, although every time an additional approval
for
the Croxley Rail Link is granted in this tortuous process, the cost
goes up and the proposed completion date stretches further away.

THC

It states on the proposal that trains would run every ten minutes.
Yet on the Amersham branch there are now only two trains an hour (I
think I am correct in saying this?) how come there would be such a
variance?

There is 6 per hour, certainly Chaltont & Latimer towards London.
2 are Chiltern to/from Aylesbury/Marylebone, the other 4 are either
Amersham to Baker Street or 2 Amersham and 2 Chesham to Baker street.

Old January 18th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:46:35 -0000, wrote:

It states on the proposal that trains would run every ten minutes. Yet on
the Amersham branch there are now only two trains an hour (I think I am
correct in saying this?) how come there would be such a variance?

4tph of Met trains. But I recall that this will decrease to 2tph once
the S-stock arrives, two of them instead providing direct Chesham
trains to replace the current shuttle.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old January 18th 09, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

"THC" wrote in message
This is excellent news, although every time an additional approval for
the Croxley Rail Link is granted in this tortuous process, the cost
goes up and the proposed completion date stretches further away.

THC

It states on the proposal that trains would run every ten minutes. Yet on
the Amersham branch there are now only two trains an hour (I think I am
correct in saying this?) how come there would be such a variance?

Current service from Watford - Baker Street is every 10 minutes. It is this,
and not the Amersham trains, that would be diverted to run from Watford
Junction. There have, however, in the past been suggestions that if the link
is built there should also be a shuttle service from Watford Junction to
Amersham or Chesham.

Peterto

Old January 18th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 18, 9:56*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
Current service from Watford - Baker Street is every 10 minutes. It is this,
and not the Amersham trains, that would be diverted to run from Watford
Junction. There have, however, in the past been suggestions that if the link
is built there should also be a shuttle service from Watford Junction to
Amersham or Chesham.

Peterto

Better still, use DMUs and run it through to Aylesbury!
Old January 18th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:25:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Better still, use DMUs and run it through to Aylesbury!

That'd be a seriously useful service, and would get a lot of the
benefits of Aylesbury-Bletchley for very little of the additional
cost.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old January 18th 09, 09:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

quoted:

The extension of the Metropolitan tube line to Watford Junction
station moved a step closer to realisation today.

How many steps are there?!

Old January 18th 09, 10:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:37:44 -0000, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

quoted:

The extension of the Metropolitan tube line to Watford Junction
station moved a step closer to realisation today.

How many steps are there?!

About umpty-seven each side of the road that's in the way ? (Plus one
very big one if they only build it as a tube line).