Old January 25th 09, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:26:12 -0800 (PST), THC
wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

Further British Railways linguistic aberrations:

"Station stop" as in: Stevenage is your next station stop. Either
station or stop would be sufficient.

"My name is xxx and I am your team leader." I bought a ticket; I
didn't join a team.

"Vestible ends". This, I imagine, is related to the word 'vestibule'
but pronounced differently. One could argue that priests are
vestible, or vestable, but whether their ends are is another question.

I suspect that, if train guards or whatever they are nowadays were to
make announcements sincerely in their own words rather than reading
out a script in a very artificial tone, people might pay more
attention to what's said. And perhaps even not have mobile phone
conversations in the carriages where they're requested not to.

Old January 25th 09, 12:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

David Bennetts wrote:

I was intrigued when visiting New York a couple of years back with the "gap
filler" arrangements at South Ferry subway station, which was on an
extremely sharp curve and could only handle the front half of a train. I
believe the station has just been rebuilt to eliminate this curve. See
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:2678

It has not been rebuilt. Rather, a new two-track terminal station has
been built essentially underneath it. The new station has not yet
opened, but when it does open, the old station will be decommissioned.

The old trackage will still be used, as it provides a valuable track
connection between the West Side IRT (1/2/3) and East Side IRT (4/5/6).
It also has an inner loop track, which only connects to the East Side
and is used to turn East Side trains that terminate at Bowling Green
(mostly off-peak 5 trains). The inner loop has its own platform, which
was used until the 70's by a shuttle train to Bowling Green.

Gap fillers remain in use at Union Square (southbound 4/5/6 platform)
and at Times Square (shuttle). And there will still be one station that
can only accommodate half of a train: 145 St on the 3.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old January 25th 09, 01:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

THC wrote:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

I forget where exactly in Paris I heard this (I think it might have been
the MP89 on the Line 14 "Météor"), but the automated announcements
translate "Attention à la marche en descandant du train" as "Please mind
the gap between the train and the platform."

There are certainly no references to minding gaps in New York, or, I'd
guess, anywhere else in the United States. This is the closest we have:
http://www.mta.info/lirr/safety/WatchtheGap.html
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old January 25th 09, 06:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 25, 2:39*am, David of Broadway
wrote:
David Bennetts wrote:
[...]

Ah! Do i spot a fellow fan of the NY subway? Your knowledge is far
more encyclopedic than mine so thank you for that thorough
explanation. BTW photos of the new South Ferry station can be seen
here

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/foru...1b091& t=7597

Paul

Old January 25th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

pedan3 wrote:

Further British Railways linguistic aberrations:

"Station stop" as in: Stevenage is your next station stop. Either
station or stop would be sufficient.

Not necessarily. The train could pass through the next station without
stopping on its way to Stevenage. Or it could stop at a red signal just
outside Stevenage.

Old January 25th 09, 08:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

THC wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

It's used frequently at Manchester Oxford Road. I noticed it in
particular last night on a transpennine service because the tone changed
so abruptly from the usual 'arriving at station X' announcement. I'm
pretty much inured to the constant (mostly) pointless announcements on
trains these days that I switch off to them.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 25th 09, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:07:54 -0000, "Tim Fenton"
wrote:

The jingle does sound a bit home made.

It has more than a passing resemblance to the "internationale trein"
jingle at Schiphol.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

"Mind the Gap Tube announcement returns after wife's plea" Sampo Smolander London Transport 1 March 11th 13 05:36 AM
Stratford - Mind the Gap Mwmbwls London Transport 14 June 2nd 08 03:08 PM
"Mind the Gap" - Radio programme Jason London Transport 0 July 29th 05 09:48 AM
mind the gap.. dj152 London Transport 6 November 6th 03 09:20 PM
Picc Line - Please mind the gap between the train and the platform Tom Beevers London Transport 2 August 22nd 03 09:39 AM