Old June 1st 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Stratford - Mind the Gap

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news.php?id=592
http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/document/3360/get

quote
Stratford access needs attention urgently
London TravelWatch has written to the Government expressing its deep
concerns about the lack of progress on interchange arrangements at
Stratford.

There are still no satisfactory arrangements between the platforms to
be served by the Southeastern High Speed domestic services and
Stratford regional services in the period between December 2009 when
the high speed service commences and the completion of the work for
the Olympics in 2012.

Brian Cooke, Chairman, London TravelWatch said: “It is London
TravelWatch’s view that it is essential that the Southeastern services
call at Stratford from December 2009 to allow passengers to
interchange for destinations in the City and Docklands, and that this
interchange needs to be welcoming and safe for passengers. If the
services do not stop at Stratford, we fear unacceptable levels of
crowding on the remaining services into London Bridge and Cannon St
and on the Jubilee line.”

To achieve this, London TravelWatch believes that an interchange
facility needs to be in place by December 2009, which would require
the construction of a new bridge from the International station, an
entrance to Stratford regional station, and a safe means of
transporting passengers between these two sites between, or through,
the construction area for 2012.

Brian Cooke continued: “As we understand it, until the permanent
pedestrian route, the new ticket hall and the Docklands Light Railway
extension are in place, a shuttle bus would be needed, but there have
been no assurances given by the Olympic Delivery Authority or the
contractors that the roadway necessary for this service would be
available by December 2009 - this is unacceptable.”

London TravelWatch is also concerned that the building of a mechanised
link, a requirement in the original Transport and Works Order, has not
been enforced.

Brian Cooke said: “We have heard rumours that condition requiring a
mechanised link between the stations may be removed, but no suitable
alternative has been proposed, and we urge the Government not to give
consent to the removal of this condition until all parties, including
London TravelWatch, are satisfied that appropriate and convenient
alternatives are in place.”

Finally, London TravelWatch is worried that there is no firm date for
Eurostar services to start calling at Stratford.

Brian Cooke concluded: “A huge sum of public money went into building
the high speed line and stations at St Pancras, Ebbsfleet and
Stratford. It is a thorough disgrace that Stratford is not being
bought into use now. We urge the Government to put all possible
pressure on Eurostar and others to start services at Stratford.“

For more information, please contact Jo deBank in the London
TravelWatch press office on 020 7726 9953 or out of hours on 07734
055494.

The voice of London's transport users
unquote

Old June 1st 08, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 Jun, 15:13, Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/...ument/3360/get

[...]

First off, I must get this off my chest - I don't like Brian Cooke
after he publicly came out in support of one of the Mayoral candidates
in the election, something many people aren;t at all happy about. The
Assembly Transport Committee is holding an extraordinary meeting about
this tomorrow morning and I hope something will be done about it -
see:
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/agenda.jsp

I'm not sure whether one can see the timing of this intervention as Mr
Cooke trying to win people over.

Nevertheless, if we put the potential for political manoeuvrings
aside, then there is certainly a point here.

I presume the "mechanised link" translates to being a travolator. I
was under the impression that this idea had been dumped long ago.

What the above press release doesn't make clear is that the area
between Stratford Regional and Stratford International stations will
actually be covered by the Stratford City development, as opposed to
the Olympic Park, though of course the aforementioned development
(shops, homes & offices etc) is fundamentally intermeshed with the
wider Olympic Park redevelopment. It is a bit difficult to see how
passengers might be able to transfer between these two stations
through a massive building site, but then again I suppose there could
be some imaginative solutions like a temporary bridge or covered
walkway.

Southeastern's new high speed services from Kent (the CTRL-DS) won't
look half as attractive to many if they don't stop at Stratford, given
it's position as a gateway to the Docklands. Having had my doubts in
the past, I now reckon Eurostar will eventually stop at least some of
their trains at Stratford, but I have my doubts that they'll be keen
doing this until the area surrounding the station is a bit less of a
building site.

A shuttle bus transfer between Stratford Int'l and Stratford Regional
does seem somewhat less than ideal situation.
Old June 1st 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mwmbwls" wrote

quote
Stratford access needs attention urgently
London TravelWatch has written to the Government expressing its deep
concerns about the lack of progress on interchange arrangements at
Stratford.

There are still no satisfactory arrangements between the platforms to
be served by the Southeastern High Speed domestic services and
Stratford regional services in the period between December 2009 when
the high speed service commences and the completion of the work for
the Olympics in 2012.

From some time in 2010 they will be linked by DLR - which is probably better
than a shuttle bus or walking, especially through a building site.

Peter

Old June 1st 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Mwmbwls" wrote

quote
Stratford access needs attention urgently
London TravelWatch has written to the Government expressing its deep
concerns about the lack of progress on interchange arrangements at
Stratford.

There are still no satisfactory arrangements between the platforms to
be served by the Southeastern High Speed domestic services and
Stratford regional services in the period between December 2009 when
the high speed service commences and the completion of the work for
the Olympics in 2012.

From some time in 2010 they will be linked by DLR - which is probably
better
than a shuttle bus or walking, especially through a building site.

I just googled 'Stratford travelator' - and having scanned a couple of dozen
references still have no idea what the decision was...

Paul S

Old June 1st 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 Jun, 16:29, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Mwmbwls" wrote

quote
Stratford access needs attention urgently
London TravelWatch has written to the Government expressing its deep
concerns about the lack of progress on interchange arrangements at
Stratford.

There are still no satisfactory arrangements between the platforms to
be served by the Southeastern High Speed domestic services and
Stratford regional services in the period between December 2009 when
the high speed service commences and the completion of the work for
the Olympics in 2012.

From some time in 2010 they will be linked by DLR - which is probably better
than a shuttle bus or walking, especially through a building site.

During the planning of the Jubilee line extension, I'm wondering
whether there was ever any thought that provision might be made for
extended the line from Stratford Regional to Stratford Int'l? Though
when the JLE was being planned, I suppose the future existence of
Stratford Int'l was far from certain.

Old June 1st 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote

During the planning of the Jubilee line extension, I'm wondering
whether there was ever any thought that provision might be made for
extended the line from Stratford Regional to Stratford Int'l? Though
when the JLE was being planned, I suppose the future existence of
Stratford Int'l was far from certain.

and it would have been far from trivial to get the Jubilee Line under the
GEML and to a terminus at Stratford International. I'm not sure, even when
it had been decided that the CTRL would take the Stratford route, with a
station there, that the exact location of Stratford International had been
decided. ISTR suggestions that it would be closer to Stratford Regional so
that connections between the two wouldn't need a travolator/long
walk/shuttle bus/ DLR.

Peter

Old June 1st 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:54:40 +0100, Peter Masson wrote:

During the planning of the Jubilee line extension, I'm wondering
whether there was ever any thought that provision might be made for
extended the line from Stratford Regional to Stratford Int'l? Though
when the JLE was being planned, I suppose the future existence of
Stratford Int'l was far from certain.

and it would have been far from trivial to get the Jubilee Line under the
GEML and to a terminus at Stratford International.

Erm, isn't that exactly what they're doing with the DLR? It will go
from Stratford LL (from what are currently the NLL platforms, right
next to the Jubilee) to Stratford International.
Old June 1st 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"asdf" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:54:40 +0100, Peter Masson wrote:

and it would have been far from trivial to get the Jubilee Line under the
GEML and to a terminus at Stratford International.

Erm, isn't that exactly what they're doing with the DLR? It will go
from Stratford LL (from what are currently the NLL platforms, right
next to the Jubilee) to Stratford International.

At the time there was no plan to truncate the NLL at Stratford, so the
existing hole under the GEML, now used by the NLL and to be used by the DLR,
would not have been available for the JLE. The JLE would have needed a new
tunnelled route under the GEML, with underground stations at Stratford
Regional and Stratford International.

peter

Old June 1st 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 1 Jun, 18:01, Paul Harley wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:00:24, Mizter T wrote:

First off, I must get this off my chest - I don't like Brian Cooke
after he publicly came out in support of one of the Mayoral candidates
in the election, something many people aren;t at all happy about. The
Assembly Transport Committee is holding an extraordinary meeting about
this tomorrow morning and I hope something will be done about it -
see:
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/agenda.jsp

Oh dear! Having read Appendix B of
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/item06.pdf
I can see why some people got upset. It's a strange statement to make
by someone who is supposed to be politically impartial.

Having said that, Brian Cooke does make some relevant points - it's a
pity he dragged the London TravelWatch name into it.

I don't know why you removed uk,transport.london when you posted as
this issue is most relevant to that newsgroup - so I'm crossposting
your reply back on utl.
Old June 1st 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:00:24 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On 1 Jun, 15:13, Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/...ument/3360/get

quote
Stratford access needs attention urgently
London TravelWatch has written to the Government expressing its deep
concerns about the lack of progress on interchange arrangements at
Stratford.

[snip]

First off, I must get this off my chest - I don't like Brian Cooke
after he publicly came out in support of one of the Mayoral candidates
in the election, something many people aren;t at all happy about. The
Assembly Transport Committee is holding an extraordinary meeting about
this tomorrow morning and I hope something will be done about it -
see:
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/agenda.jsp

I'm not sure whether one can see the timing of this intervention as Mr
Cooke trying to win people over.

Having read the statement in full as an attachment to the agenda he does
not deserve to stay on nor be considered for a further term. He clearly
used his position at London Travelwatch to issue a personal statement
when the rules are quite clear that he should not have done so. I
thought that what got published in the press was bad enough but the
whole statement is even worse.

Nevertheless, if we put the potential for political manoeuvrings
aside, then there is certainly a point here.

I presume the "mechanised link" translates to being a travolator. I
was under the impression that this idea had been dumped long ago.

I think people have simply hoped and prayed that if they ignore this
legal requirement that it will go away. I can't see DfT enforcing the
requirement as it would bugger up all the other works on the site.

What the above press release doesn't make clear is that the area
between Stratford Regional and Stratford International stations will
actually be covered by the Stratford City development, as opposed to
the Olympic Park, though of course the aforementioned development
(shops, homes & offices etc) is fundamentally intermeshed with the
wider Olympic Park redevelopment. It is a bit difficult to see how
passengers might be able to transfer between these two stations
through a massive building site, but then again I suppose there could
be some imaginative solutions like a temporary bridge or covered
walkway.

I think only a shuttle bus with controlled loading at each end could be
considered. However it would not be a quick journey as so much of the
road access to the southern edge of the site has gone. It is worth
noting though that Hackney and Ealing Community Transports have combined
to win a tender for Olympic worksite bus services - allegedly using the
former bendy buses from Selkent that ran on the 453. Perhaps a further
use for whatever remaining bendy buses are left?

Southeastern's new high speed services from Kent (the CTRL-DS) won't
look half as attractive to many if they don't stop at Stratford, given
it's position as a gateway to the Docklands. Having had my doubts in
the past, I now reckon Eurostar will eventually stop at least some of
their trains at Stratford, but I have my doubts that they'll be keen
doing this until the area surrounding the station is a bit less of a
building site.

I doubt Eurostar will stop even if the DLR is in place or even post
2012. I think their shambolic disdain for service provision at Ashford
sets a dreadful precedent and as the cost of wasted facilities does not
land on their doorstep they can ignore Stratford with impunity. I doubt
the forthcoming sale of the CTRL link will help either as that will
raise the commercial pressures on both sides. I'd love to be proved
wrong as Stratford is relatively convenient for me.

A shuttle bus transfer between Stratford Int'l and Stratford Regional
does seem somewhat less than ideal situation.

Agreed but it'd be better than nothing if it could be make to work so
that traffic gets established. If not I see the DLR service simply being
a ghost service once the Olympics has done unless it is further extended
into the housing development towards Leyton station.
--
Paul C

"Mind the Gap Tube announcement returns after wife's plea" Sampo Smolander London Transport 1 March 11th 13 05:36 AM
How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"? THC London Transport 37 January 25th 09 01:03 PM
"Mind the Gap" - Radio programme Jason London Transport 0 July 29th 05 09:48 AM
mind the gap.. dj152 London Transport 6 November 6th 03 09:20 PM
Picc Line - Please mind the gap between the train and the platform Tom Beevers London Transport 2 August 22nd 03 09:39 AM