Old January 23rd 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Where will the bendy buses go?

On 22 Jan, 20:27, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:39:53 GMT, (Neil

Williams) wrote:
Where do Arriva use them? *I thought First was the most prolific user
of them.

I have only seen First with them in London and Manchester I have never
seen Stagecoach with any they probably will get some to snarl up the
streets of Preston with once the buyout of PB is completed .

First also have (IIRR) 20 in Glasgow, and I believe also use them in
Bristol, not counting the FTR vehicles in Leeds and York, that said
they prefer a Volvo/ Wrightbus combination, so O:530 Citaro G's would
be non-standard.

National Express use Scania and Mercedes-Benz Artics in Birmingham and
Coventry.

Old January 23rd 09, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On 22 Jan, 20:34, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:27:21 GMT, wrote:
I have only seen First with them in London and Manchester I have never
seen Stagecoach with any they probably will get some to snarl up the
streets of Preston with once the buyout of PB is completed .

Stagecoach seem to be a fan of pretty much exclusively Alexander
Dennis products, whose range doesn't (as I recall) include a bendybus.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Stagecoach Western operate Plaxton and Jonckheere Bodied articulated
coaches from Glasgow to Ayrshire.
Old January 23rd 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On 22 Jan, 19:39, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:53:55 +0000, Paul Terry

wrote:
They're already used in a number of other UK cities, particularly by
Arriva and Go-Ahead.

Where do Arriva use them? *I thought First was the most prolific user
of them.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

I don't know of Arriva running any outside london, but Go-Ahead
definitely use them between Gateshead and the Metrocentre and IIRR at
Heathrow with their Menzies subsidiary,
Old January 23rd 09, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"TroyTempest" wrote:
Don't worry about the doors; it's very common for ex-London buses to have
a door or two removed and extra seats inserted - the problem may be that
the door they'd want to seal (the middle doors - not the rear doors), is
the one with the ramp. Most two-door bendies have the ramp at the front,
I believe.

This also would not be a problem as the ramp is modular (made by MBB) and
can easily be removed and relocated.

Thanks for that - shame the cab isn't too - then they could get work in
Europe!

;o)

--

Andrew

Old January 23rd 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:29:07 +0000, Stuart Johnson
wrote:

Stagecoach have some up in Scotland, mostly Volvo/Plaxton articulated
coaches used on busy express routes (saying that they might have been
replaced by ex-Megabus Neoplan Skyliners)

We have three bendies used on the Aberdeen to Peterhead services,
alongside, inter alia, three Neoplan Skyliners.

Sorry, a follow-up to my own post I know.

Just to amplify, the Aberdeen to Peterhead services, although busy,
are not 'express', they stop anywhere, as outside of
Peterhead/Ellon/Aberdeen you can just wait anywhere at the roadside.
--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Old January 23rd 09, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:59:10 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If Boris does get his way and boot all the bendies out of london where
would they go? Theres a lot of them, they can't be sold off in europe
because they're RHD, they're far too new to scrap and they're really
only suitable for a city enviroment. Are there any other cities that
they could be effectively used in?

there is a suggestion that some will end up in Malta. The government
there has employed consultants who have come up with a scheme to
completely revise the Maltese bus system. This would scrap the current
scheme that uses largely second hand buses run by owner drivers in a
form of cooperative. The proposals envisage a hierarchy of services
with bendies on the very high demand corridors. There are very few
double deck buses in Malta as there was long term resistance to their
use so single decks are the main bus type. The article is in the latest
Buses Magazine.

My own theory is that most of them will sit in yards and decay. The big
problem is the third door in the rear section. All other bendies -
apart possibly from those on the Eden project shuttle - are two doored
because there is no open boarding elsewhere in the UK.

And in Manchester, many / most passengers seem to ignore the second door,
and alight at the front, even those who had been sitting in the rear portion
of the bus.

Bevan

Old January 24th 09, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:54:20 -0000, "Bevan Price"
wrote:

And in Manchester, many / most passengers seem to ignore the second door,
and alight at the front, even those who had been sitting in the rear portion
of the bus.

Probably because in the early days drivers were reluctant to open the
rear doors. May still be.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old January 25th 09, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

wrote:
And in Manchester, many / most passengers seem to ignore the second door,
and alight at the front, even those who had been sitting in the rear portion
of the bus.

Probably because in the early days drivers were reluctant to open the
rear doors. *May still be.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Its more the fact that a fair few of the bus stops aren't really big
enough for them. Especially Lever Street when there is a rigid bus in
front