Old January 29th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford International opening date?

"Mizter T" wrote :
Indeed I dare say that it may not be considered appropriate to stop
Eurostar trains at Stratford until after the Olympics are finished.

I suspect 'until after hell freezes over' would be the slight preference
of
our friends at Eurostar, but they may be denied their preference!

You're obviously not buying into my potential future where the demands
of the lucrative Docklands business market mean Eurostar considers it
worthwhile stopping a few trains at Stratford, specifically a handful
well timed for heading off to business meetings in Paris or Brussels
or indeed timed for our European brethren to arrive at Canary Wharf.
Then again, perhaps the Wharf will be an abandoned ghost town, a
monument to the follies of a financial house-of-cards!

I'm not ruling it out - but a rail system that seeks to funnel Kent
commuters into Kings Cross / St P seems very capable of doing the same to
cross-channel traffic. As it exists (and Waterloo doesn't), Ebbsfleet will
certainly have to take up the slack.

I agree there will be pressure, But I very much doubt it will trump the
end-to-end timings issue and 'operational convenience' that is the mantra of
British Railway planning (see my views on Crossrail destinations!!).

Actually, the Olympics may assist, if E* have the sense to organize a few
specials at that period - they may find there's a market they cannot ignore.
--

Andrew

"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." ~ Albert Einstein

Old January 29th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan, 22:58, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote :

[...]

You might be right there - of course we shall see what happens.

Actually, the Olympics may assist, if E* have the sense to organize a few
specials at that period - they may find there's a market they cannot ignore.

Nothing apart from the Olympic Javelin service will be calling at
Stratford Int'l during the period of the Olympic Games - that has long
been decided. So there will be no Kent high-speed service whatsoever,
nor any possibility of Eurostars (or any other international trains)
stopping at Stratford Int'l during this time. Stratford International
station is at the very epicentre of plans to get spectators into and
out of the Olympic Park - it simply won't have the space to do
anything else.
Old January 30th 09, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote :
... nor any possibility of Eurostars (or any other
international trains) stopping at Stratford Int'l during ...

Crikey!
More loopiness!

I didn't realise the International platforms would be conscripted.
It'll be fun!
--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.