Old January 29th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford International opening date?

Any date fixed yet, does anyone know? There's a tremendous amount of
work going on north of the existing Stratford station, buildings going
up and I think new bridges laid so that you can walk straight to
Stratford International.

First the opening date was 2006, then changed after the Queen
officially opened a station that's still standing empty, although
they've run test trains I understand.

Old January 29th 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Any date fixed yet, does anyone know? There's a tremendous amount of
work going on north of the existing Stratford station, buildings going
up and I think new bridges laid so that you can walk straight to
Stratford International.

Is that the work at the DLR station site, which is north of the main
station?

You would imagine the opening date will be Dec 2009, if the Southeastern
Highspeed services are going to stop there?

Paul S

Old January 29th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
writes

Any date fixed yet, does anyone know?

I imagine it will be 13th December, which is the day that SouthEastern's
high speed service is due to start.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 29th 09, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan, 11:41, "Paul Scott" wrote:

wrote:

Any date fixed yet, does anyone know? There's a tremendous amount of
work going on north of the existing Stratford station, buildings going
up and I think new bridges laid so that you can walk straight to
Stratford International.

Is that the work at the DLR station site, which is north of the main
station?

I suspect 'solomonsky' is actually referring to the 'proper'
international station, i.e. the one where Southeastern high-speed and
Eurostar services will stop at.

You would imagine the opening date will be Dec 2009, if the Southeastern
Highspeed services are going to stop there?

DLR Stratford International is 'expected' to open mid-2010.
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/extens...d/whatnext.asp

Peter Masson (at least I think it was he) has posted of how there will
be some kind of minibus link between Stratford Int'l and Stratford
Regional/ the centre of Stratford when the Southeastern service starts
in December '09. Not ideal but better than nowt.

Lots of the building work immediately north of the station is
associated with the new 'Stratford City' development, which will mesh
with the Olympic Park a little bit further north. One will indeed be
able to walk directly between Stratford Regional and Stratford Int'l,
though I think it will be a route that passes lots of retail outlets
of course!
Old January 29th 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan, 11:55, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
writes

Any date fixed yet, does anyone know?

I imagine it will be 13th December, which is the day that SouthEastern's
high speed service is due to start.

I agree. A more intriguing question is when are Eurostar trains going
to begin stopping there? There has been some speculation in the past
that Stratford Int'l might never actually see any Eurostar trains stop
there, and passengers would be herded onto the Southeastern high-speed
trains to get to either Ebbsfleet or St. Pancras. I've pondered this
in the past, but am now of the attitude that they surely will stop
there in the future - it's just a question of when. I'm guessing the
answer lies in good part as to when the surrounding area will look
rather less like a building site.

Old January 29th 09, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote ...
A more intriguing question is when are Eurostar trains going
to begin stopping there? There has been some speculation in the past
that Stratford Int'l might never actually see any Eurostar trains stop
there, and passengers would be herded onto the Southeastern high-speed
trains to get to either Ebbsfleet or St. Pancras. I've pondered this
in the past, but am now of the attitude that they surely will stop
there in the future - it's just a question of when. I'm guessing the
answer lies in good part as to when the surrounding area will look
rather less like a building site.

This *very old news* suggests they do not want to stop there -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1082863.ece

I don't recall any changes in policy since; but that does not mean there
will be none!

I suspect that both Southeastern and Eurostar will be happy with SE ferrying
folk between StP-I - Stratford - Ebbsfleet - Ashford-I, allowing Eurostar to
stop at Ebbsfleet only.

Political pressure seems to have already guaranteed a token service for
Ashford, but Stratford is so close to St. P-I, that it'll take a political
storm to add eight minutes to everyone else's journey.
--
Andrew

If you stand up and be counted,
From time to time you may get yourself knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
A man flattened by conformity stays down for good.
- Thomas J. Watson Jr.

Old January 29th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

There has been some speculation in the past that Stratford Int'l might
never actually see any Eurostar trains stop there, and passengers would
be herded onto the Southeastern high-speed trains to get to either
Ebbsfleet or St. Pancras. I've pondered this in the past, but am now of
the attitude that they surely will stop there in the future - it's just
a question of when.

It's probably more a question of cost - in particular, the cost of
maintaining customs and security staff for international services.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 29th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think Stratford International will ever see more than a token
Eurostar train or two stopping on the way to/from St Pancras. OTOH it makes
a lot of sense to use it as the only London stop if through trains to the
Midlands ever happen. Oh - and I see a pig has just crashed to earth in my
back garden...

Paul

Old January 29th 09, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan, 12:52, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote ...

A more intriguing question is when are Eurostar trains going
to begin stopping there? There has been some speculation in the past
that Stratford Int'l might never actually see any Eurostar trains stop
there, and passengers would be herded onto the Southeastern high-speed
trains to get to either Ebbsfleet or St. Pancras. I've pondered this
in the past, but am now of the attitude that they surely will stop
there in the future - it's just a question of when. I'm guessing the
answer lies in good part as to when the surrounding area will look
rather less like a building site.

This *very old news* suggests they do not want to stop there -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1082863.ece

"[Rob Holden, chief executive of LCR] said that Eurostar had yet to
make a final decision on where its trains would stop but an
announcement would be made in early summer."

No such announcement ever came, did it?

I don't recall any changes in policy since; but that does not mean there
will be none!

I suspect that both Southeastern and Eurostar will be happy with SE ferrying
folk between StP-I - Stratford - Ebbsfleet - Ashford-I, allowing Eurostar to
stop at Ebbsfleet only.

Political pressure seems to have already guaranteed a token service for
Ashford, but Stratford is so close to St. P-I, that it'll take a political
storm to add eight minutes to everyone else's journey.

It's not so much political pressure, more the demand from Docklands-
based business that I think would be significant. Eurostar from
Stratford Int'l is in a sense on a par with London City Airport (LCY)
- stopping Eurostar at Stratford makes it a rather more attractive
option compared to a somewhat disjointed journey via St. Pancras or
Ebbsfleet.

I'm not comparing the relative merits of the services offered by LCY
and Eurostar to and from Paris and Brussels - LCY only offer a handful
of direct flights a day - I'm just saying that grumbles from
businessfolk might have some influence on Eurostar's decision making.
And it's not like every train would have to stop.

I can see it from both sides of this argument, to be honest. Anyway,
we shall see how things pan out...
Old January 29th 09, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Any date fixed yet, does anyone know? There's a tremendous amount of
work going on north of the existing Stratford station, buildings going
up and I think new bridges laid so that you can walk straight to
Stratford International.

Is that the work at the DLR station site, which is north of the main
station?

I suspect 'solomonsky' is actually referring to the 'proper'
international station, i.e. the one where Southeastern high-speed and
Eurostar services will stop at.

Ah right - for some reason I misconstrued that as the existing (ie already
complete) Straftford International station. Sorry to the OP...

Paul S