Old September 29th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hello from New York

Best bet really is Heathrow Express into Paddington. Circle or Bakerloo to
Baker St and change for North Greenwich which will give u a seat on the tube
for that long stretch on the Jubilee.

Though if you want to see some of London in the air get a Bakerloo Line
train down to Charing Cross, take an overground train (South Eastern) get to
see the Thames for frequent trains to Greenwich.

"Knotso" wrote in message
Hi all and have patience with a newcomer.

I'm visiting London in a month -- for the first time -- and staying with a
friend who lives in Greenwich. Pondering the tube map from Heathrow, it

appears
to be something like a 2-hour ride from the airport, to Green Park, to the
Jubilee line to South Greenwich. But then, I have no benchmark to judge

how
long a ride it really is. Can anyone provide an estimate?

Being conditioned by New York subway maps, I have to admit the London

schematic
map drives me nuts. I can't get a true sense of direction of how close a
station is to a landmark. Which leads to my next question ... do any

geographic
maps of the tube exist? Where are they?

Well, it should be an eye-opener riding the London tube for the first time
after 3 years of living with New York subways. Anyone with experience

commuting
on both transit systems who can venture opinions about the differences

between
the two cities?

I've probably bothered you enough, but I welcome your opinions.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 30th 03, 04:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I am sorry but I disagree. I have ridden the tube every day, and I haven't
experienced a serious delay since three years ago when it took 45minutes to
travel 2 stops.

The problem is that a minority of dissatisfied customers will always speak
more loudly than the majority of satisfied ones, so come on speak up!

And besides the tube is only more expensive than other systems because tube
users actually pay for the real cost of the service. Which is how it should
be.

B2003

I beg to differ I was in London for 11days in june 2001 2 days the
Metropolitan Line was delayed with no trains between Aldgate and Baker
St from Baker St the trains were running at half the normal frequency.

Another day I sat for 45 minutes on the Picadilly Line between Covent Garden &
Leicester Sq because of a stalled train.

In NYC (where I live) I've been on locals who have been rerouted on the express
tracks and vice versa causing maybe 5 or 10 minute delays

I believe except for London which has parallel trackage from Barons Court to
Acton Town and from Finchley Road to Wembley Park and Chicago from Howard to
Fullerton and Philadelphia Broad St Line from Olney to Spring Garden NYC has
extensive parrallel trackage
Old September 30th 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Terry
writes
I seem to remember that the interchange at Green Park involves quite a
long underground walk

It's a corridor that takes me (as a fairly fit person) two or three
minutes to walk. At each end you have a choice of stairs or a lift
(elevator to the original poster).

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 30th 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Wanderingjew698 writes
I believe except for London which has parallel trackage from Barons Court to
Acton Town and from Finchley Road to Wembley Park

to Moor Park, actually.

Old September 30th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Oliver Keating" wrote in message ...
I am sorry but I disagree. I have ridden the tube every day, and I haven't
experienced a serious delay since three years ago when it took 45minutes to
travel 2 stops.

The problem is that a minority of dissatisfied customers will always speak
more loudly than the majority of satisfied ones, so come on speak up!

Well then you've been lucky mate, I get delayed by more than 20 mins at least
once a week. Still , on the bright side at least I'm building up a nice
collection of refund vouchers.

And besides the tube is only more expensive than other systems because tube
users actually pay for the real cost of the service. Which is how it should
be.

WHy should I have to pay so much for a PUBLIC service that allows me travel
to work so that i can earn money to PAY TAXES THAT FUND IT!?? Using your logic
we'd all have to pay £££ just to visit the doctor. Ok , not everything can
be funded by taxes but public services should be IMO and that includes the
tube. Since virtualy every other country does that (with some minimum fare
to keep out vagrants and top up the coffers) I suspect we are the ones who
need a rethink , not the rest of the world.

B2003

Old September 30th 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Wanderingjew698 writes

[...]

There is also plenty of parallel track on the Met line north of Wembley
Park, allowing a mixture of Fast and All-Stations services.
In normal practice, the Finchley Rd - Wembley Park section is treated as
two separate lines, Jubilee on the inner tracks, Met on the outer.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old September 30th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In normal practice, the Finchley Rd - Wembley Park section is treated as
two separate lines, Jubilee on the inner tracks, Met on the outer.

Can they reroute the Met on the Jubilee in case of breakdowns?
Old September 30th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Wanderingjew698 writes
In normal practice, the Finchley Rd - Wembley Park section is treated as
two separate lines, Jubilee on the inner tracks, Met on the outer.

Can they reroute the Met on the Jubilee in case of breakdowns?

Quail shows a connections at Neasden and Finchley Rd between the two
lines, but looks like Met to Jubilee is easier than vice-versa. I
presume the jubilee lines are able to accommodate the Met loading gauge?
Old September 30th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote:
In message ,
Wanderingjew698 writes
In normal practice, the Finchley Rd - Wembley Park
section is treated as two separate lines, Jubilee on the
inner tracks, Met on the outer.

Can they reroute the Met on the Jubilee in case of
breakdowns?

Quail shows a connections at Neasden and Finchley Rd
between the two lines, but looks like Met to Jubilee is
easier than vice-versa. I
presume the jubilee lines are able to accommodate the Met

Certainly not south of Finchley Road.

Old October 1st 03, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Spyke
writes
Quail shows a connections at Neasden and Finchley Rd between the two
lines, but looks like Met to Jubilee is easier than vice-versa. I
presume the jubilee lines are able to accommodate the Met loading gauge?

Yes; it used to be that the last Met. train ran along the Jubilee tracks
and called at all stations.

However, I believe that preparations for ATO on the Jubilee means that A
stock is no longer allowed on it.