Old September 27th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hello from New York

In message , Huge
writes

(Knotso) writes:

I'm visiting London in a month -- for the first time -- and staying with a
friend who lives in Greenwich.

Get the Heathrow Express to Paddington.

How would that help him get to Greenwich?

--
Paul Terry
Old September 27th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In
Roland Perry wrote:

I expect the overground trains aren't as tourist friendly as the tube.

The commuter trains (as they are) are equally tourist friendly.

Well, for a start, the trains aren't nearly as frequent, they have a different
ticketing system, and the route maps aren't as well publicised or as well-known
as the tube. For example, it wasn't at all clear where the journey in question
here starts from (mostly).

--
kedron
Old September 27th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Huge" wrote in message

Paul Terry writes:

[20 lines snipped]

I seem to remember that the interchange at Green Park involves quite
a long underground walk

It does. And several flights of stairs.

The easier route is up the Piccadilly escalator to the booking hall and then
down the Victoria escalator. It's quicker and shorter. To minimise the
walking, board the last car of the Picc train and take the middle escalator.

Old September 28th 03, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , kedron
writes

In
Roland Perry wrote:

I expect the overground trains aren't as tourist friendly as the tube.

The commuter trains (as they are) are equally tourist friendly.

Well, for a start, the trains aren't nearly as frequent,

Generally true, but does that matter very much for a tourist, rather
than someone-late-for-work? (Greenwich seems to have 6 tph to London,
although I accept that some are Cannon St, some Charing Cross. That's
more than many parts of the Metropolitan.)

they have a different ticketing system,

When did they stop taking travelcards?

and the route maps aren't as well publicised or as well-known as the
tube. For example, it wasn't at all clear where the journey in question
here starts from (mostly).

I was thinking more about the *trains* than the timetabling. eg Can you
get on and off them with luggage. Do the ones in that area stop at most
of the stations. And so on.

Old September 28th 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin S. wrote:
snip

Look at www.thetube.com and click on routefinder. It gives a rough
idea of journey times.
Regarding geographic tube maps, the best modern map of the central
area is at wwww.fourthway.co.uk - click on 'The Real Underground',
and
have a look through the options in the popup window.

HTH

You'd better knock off one of the 'w's for Fourthway (3 good, 4 bad)
or you get hijacked by yet another domain seller :-( When you *do*
get there the Shockwave animation is good :-)
--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Old September 28th 03, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry , if this sounds negative but I'm a londoner and I've ridden on many
metro systems (including the NYC subway many times) around the world and IMO
the tube is one of the worst run and managed I've ever come across plus its
the most expensive.

B2003

Are the LU Admonistrators named Moe Larry & Curly?NYUK NYUK
Old September 28th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Huge
writes

Paul Terry writes:
In message , Huge
writes

I'm visiting London in a month -- for the first time -- and staying with a
friend who lives in Greenwich.

Get the Heathrow Express to Paddington.

How would that help him get to Greenwich?

Are you *really* this dim?

I have to ask you the same if you think that going via Paddington is a
better option. Did you really bother to check your figures?

The route I suggested takes 70-75 minutes, offers easy interchange for
visitors with luggage and costs under £10.

Your suggestion of using the Heathrow Express costs three times as much,
involves a difficult interchange at Paddington, plus another at Baker
Street, and is most unlikely to offer a shorter journey, especially
given the fact that one can have to wait up to 15 minutes for the HE at
Heathrow (as opposed to 5 minutes for the Piccadilly).

--
Paul Terry
Old September 29th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Well, it should be an eye-opener riding the London tube for the first time
after 3 years of living with New York subways. Anyone with experience commuting
on both transit systems who can venture opinions about the differences between
the two cities?

I've probably bothered you enough, but I welcome your opinions.

As a user of both systems, I would suggest the London network
certainly provides the best signposting whilst underground to direct
passengers at interchanges. Not a problem when you know when your
going but as a newcomer I found the lack of signs in New York time
consuming...

Kilburn Kid

Old September 29th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
m...
(Knotso) wrote in message

snip
The MTA in new york can actually manage to run a reasonable service. LU

can't.
In london there are forever delays , trains being reversed before they've
got to their destination because the train (ie driver) is running late

(wants
to get home for tea), stations being closed because of some lift or

escalator
not working, incorrect train arrival indicators and so on. Don't ever rely

on
the tube to get you to your destination on time and this especially

applies
when you're going to the airport on it.
Sorry , if this sounds negative but I'm a londoner and I've ridden on

many
metro systems (including the NYC subway many times) around the world and

IMO
the tube is one of the worst run and managed I've ever come across plus

its
the most expensive.

I am sorry but I disagree. I have ridden the tube every day, and I haven't
experienced a serious delay since three years ago when it took 45minutes to
travel 2 stops.

The problem is that a minority of dissatisfied customers will always speak
more loudly than the majority of satisfied ones, so come on speak up!

And besides the tube is only more expensive than other systems because tube
users actually pay for the real cost of the service. Which is how it should
be.

B2003